1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mounted attacks vs. cities

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by GS_Guderian, Nov 3, 2018.

1. GS_Guderian

GS_Guderian Chieftain

Hello again,

I promise to stop spamming topics soon :)

For now I have one more question in mind:

Whenever I attack settlements/cities it seems that my cavalry is the best choice to lead the attack from my stack.

Of course in midgame my mobile forces often had much more chances to gain XP, thus being the most veteran units. But I feel that attacking well defended places workes like this:

Bombard, send cavalry which in most times retreats before being lost, round up dmg units with infantry.

I feel that the heavy duty in close combat fighting should lay on infantry. Making easy wins (without losing any units) harder and steamrolling city after city with the same stack close to impossible.

Summa summarum:

Cavalry seems to be to strong in city fighting, maybe even in woods/jungles.

Maybe make heavy cavalry best choice in open plains but worst in close combat.
    Infantry best choice for close combat and light cavalry somewhere in between.

2. CptBadger

CptBadger Chieftain

My experience is bombardment followed by line infantry for cities. Militia for woods and hills, cavalry chases down units in open field. I have little use for dragoons except for armed scouts and stragglers

3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Chieftain Supporter

If Cavalry should be strong vs. cities depends on what Cavalry is.

In the original Colonization Cavalry was just Settler+Muskets+Horse and in that very simple system Cavalry was always stronger than Infantery as Cavalry could lose one fight (meaning that it lost the horses) and fight on as Infantery. And simplified systems are good as long as the AI is not able to use more diverse units to their full advantage against the player.

For a historical reason why "Cavalry" should be strong vs. cities too - it could just be mounted Infantery instead, that travels on horse but fights on foot.