Mounted units! What are they good for? aka why mounted units have been sidelined

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by mintcandy, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Terakahn

Terakahn Chieftain

They arent used for taking cities. You might as well be scouting with a warrior and not building scouts.

2. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

They do not need a buff. Mounted units are way more useful than your average melee meatshields in taking cities, unless you are not using siege engines to smash the cities first.

Maybe that's your problem?;)

3. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

An example on the power of mounted units v. Cities

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

4. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I don't really see the point of their penalty vs cities- they already have the crippling no defensive terrain bonus and get shredded by Spear and Pikeman.

5. Nukes R Us

Nukes R Us M.A.D. Man

Because, they are already powerful! It balances the game. To some players who use them, they may even seem too powerful

6. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

Maybe I play on too many Large Continent maps: which always seem lacking on wide open fields for Calvary to dominate.

7. Terakahn

Terakahn Chieftain

I wish one of the promotions for mounted units made them ignore terrain movement costs =D

8. Nukes R Us

Nukes R Us M.A.D. Man

On the world age, the higher the age, the less hills and mountains there are, consider that :)

9. Furycrab

Furycrab King

They aren't bad. It's mostly just that the easiest way to deal with an opponent that outproduces you 2 or 3 to 1 is to build ranged units and that's pretty much where 90% of the AIs difficulty comes from... Unlikely to change for any strategy game with decent strategic depth until the AI singularity occurs at which point none of this will matter since Skynet will takeover.

They have a use however where they are best used to safely pick off injured units.

10. Seabastian Civ

Seabastian Civ King

For a lesson in how to use mounted units, look at the Sipahi.

Fast movement, Free Pillage, +1 LOS.

Run them into enemy territory, burn down their improvements, run back. Return to your main army. Accompany that force as a spotter/flank support.

Sipahis... so underrated.

11. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

They are downright OP on flat terrain. In one turn they can setback an enemies' tile improvement economy by 10 turns each (2 turns to repair each improvement).

12. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

An ingame AI example:

Spoiler :

13. Ottoman player

Ottoman player Chieftain

Sipahis are ridiculous. I like the faster lancers than cavalry to do the cleanup/support tasks, pilliaging (obviously), hitting isolated wounded units, siege units, great generals and settlers that aren't immediately around the city I'm attacking. You can take a city and withdraw them, or touch up somebody that your Janissary can finish off and heal itself.

I haven't done this yet, but I bet they make wonderful helicopter gunships.

14. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

I don't think mounted units are too weak. Instead, I consider (early) ranged units to be too strong. Mounted units are balanced alright against melee units: they provide a higher concentration of forces. They actually have a higher survivability as they can move out of range or into a better position after attacking. For example, you can move a bunch of horses near to a city, one of them will be attacked and maybe die but the rest can then attack and move to safety afterwards.

Ranged units, on the other hand, can attack without even taking damage. Thich would make them quite useful by comparison to melee or mounted units even if they all just had 1 range like the Gatling Guns (this is especially true when fighting cities). Combined with their 2 range, they gain a large concentration of force and four or five CBs or XBs are often able to kill one or two opposing melee units every turn, preventing them from ever coming near enough to attack. Of course, one can use horses against them, but since all units are tougher to kill in G&K, you can not usually one-hit them with a contemporary mounted unit. So your horse will die the next turn and the archer retreats.

TL;DR: Ranged units are too strong should only have one range. Mounted units and siege units are ok as they are. Melee units are a bit too weak, but this may be mainly because archers are too strong.

15. Priah77

Priah77 Chieftain

Yea I agree, range units need to just do less damage.

16. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Nah, ranged units are fine, this upcoming patch is going to make the range-melee shield more important than ever

CBs can still die from AI horsemen/Pikemen cornering :)

17. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Ahh, I remember the days when Wu Zetian's 4 horseman rush was viable on Diety...
    Good time, good times...:cheers:

Too bad the AI spams pikemen now.

18. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Spoiler :

I think if it wasn't for Great Andean Road and slingers being slingers, that would have been another CB or 2 dead.

19. Crafty Bison

Crafty Bison King

That's a point - Has anyone made a hakkapetilla gunship? How does the GG movement work? Can they then fly over rought terrain too :). That'd be so cool!

20. Nukes R Us

Nukes R Us M.A.D. Man

Oh but I protest this. I am TERRIBLE with ranged units. I would say they need to be buffed, but I know that I only think this because I cannot properly use them :)

Short story is, all units are balanced, some people can use a type better than another type, period.