1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mouse and Keyboard freeze up occasionally at start of game.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by tommygun983, Feb 21, 2015.

1. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

Sometimes when I start up civ 5 complete edition, the keyboard and mouse don't work. I have all dlc installed, and I'm using a windows 8. The game also occasionally crashes mid game, however it is completely random when it happens, and when you do know, it's too late. This is urgent- I really need to know how to fix this, now!

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Are you launching as DX10/11 or as Windows 8 - Touch Enabled?

3. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

Dx 10/11 because I thought that it crashed more often on touch enabled.
    But now that I think about it, it never froze on touch enabled

4. Browd

Are you on a touch-enabled tablet?

5. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

I am typing this from my ipad if that is what you mean. I don't think my computer is touch enabled, though.

6. Browd

If your Windows 8 device does not have a touchscreen, you should not use the Windows 8 - Touch Enabled option. As for why your mouse and keyboard lock up using DX 10/11 and other mid-game crashes, have you tried validating your game files through Steam? Also, I assume you aren't playing with any mods.

7. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

On the contrary, I always play with mods. However, it only locks up right when I start it, it either locks up as soon as I turn the game on, or it doesn't lock up at all. I also do not know what you mean by validating files through steam. Does that mean opening it via the game library?

8. Browd

Go to game library, right click Civ V, choose Properties, then Local Files, then Verify Integrity of Game Cache. If it downloads any files, repeat until no more files are downloaded.

After doing that, try starting a game without mods. Does the mouse/keyboard problem still appear? If not, try starting a game with your favorite mods. if the mouse/keyboard problem only crops up when mods are enabled, you probably ahve a mod conflict.

9. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

Thanks for the suggestion, but it only freezes right when I start the
    game before I can even enable the mods. I doubt I have a mod conflict, I have a computer specifically for gaming, and not many files on it. However, it is likely that the integrity of game cache could solve it.

10. phillipwyllie

phillipwyllie Wannabe Deity

Re Crashing
    For me this game can be as stable as a chocolate fire-guard, sometimes it's flawless. I've found the best solution is to set your autosaves to every turn, that way you'll have the turn you were on when Civ5 crashed.

Instructions can found @ HOF Submission Requirements