1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

'Move your troops' - 'ignore this request' = promise to move

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sherlock, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

When the AI says 'I see your troops on my border' and you say 'ignore this request' you'll get a 'you broke your promise' if you don't move them.

Add this to the 'I'm being dinged for making a promise I never made' collection.

cooldude1128 and TheMeInTeam like this.
  2. XVeris

XVeris Chieftain

Honestly, I feel you should get MORE negativity from them for ignoring. How would you feel if you sent a letter via pigeon hundreds of miles to your neighbor, only for it to never be opened?

3. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Would be nice to have more transparency though.

Sherlock likes this.
  4. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

LOL if I get enough troops near an AI border to trigger this request it's only a matter of time anyway so who cares?

5. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

Agreed, it's confusing, what's the difference between ignoring a request and refusing to adhere to it? :confused:

6. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 John Curtin is a warmonger

I love getting that request from an Allied Civ where we by definition have open borders....

7. XVeris

XVeris Chieftain

And yet they surround your capital with dozens of units, while you can't tell them to bugger off. Never understood why we can't discuss this with them while they can with us.

8. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

How do they keep making the same mistakes every game? It's like 5, beyond earth and 6 were made by different people.

9. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 Chieftain

I am in the habit of just hitting the Esc key to "ignore" the request, and I don't suffer penalties later if my troops are around.

10. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Chieftain

If I invite Teddy out for booze, I'd rather him ignore me than lead me on to believe I can meet him at 8:30 only for him to not show up and tell me after the fact that he was just kidding and already had plans that night.

steveg700 likes this.
  11. antimony

antimony Chieftain

There is a negative modifier for refusing to make a promise or ignoring, but it's still not as bad as making a promise then breaking it.

12. rschissler

rschissler Chieftain

I always click "I apologize, my troops are merely passing by." What would be the point of clicking anything else?

13. UWHabs

UWHabs Chieftain

Yeah, since the alternative is attacking them, and in that case, I think a broken promise is the least of their worries.

14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Theoretically, the diplomatic penalty for ignoring the request is supposed to be smaller than the penalty for breaking your promise to move your troops, but it's not clear if it's working as intended.

15. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Indeed. The "ignore" option was provided in Civ VI specifically as an alternative to Civ V painting players into the corner of either being forced to make a promise they can't keep or outright declaring war on the spot.

Yes, annoying. However, when the AI is border-dancing around your capital, the intent is not innocuous. The AI is trying to extend benefit of the doubt that the AI itself does not deserve.

You would choose "ignore" if you don't intend to move but also don't intend to declare war.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  16. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

So how about a "I'm protecting you from invasion" option, or something else along the tune of "I mean you no harm, but I ain't moving."

How often do you get jammed for attacking a neighbor? Or you can't move fast enough due to carpets? Or you leave, but then they settle near you? Or the best, you get the penalty after they dow you (although this may have been fixed).

Even a way to set the number of turns via trade channel would be nice. Heck, even a visible timer would be nice.

I'd like to see you be able to highlight a path, and say: 'I will stick to this route for x turns, what will it cost me?'. And if you are dof'd, it won't cost you anything if you are trustworthy.

Pythakoreas likes this.
  17. Locke_Daemonfire

Locke_Daemonfire Chieftain

I feel like the default promise should just be something like "I mean you no harm, but I ain't moving." As long as no war is declared, I don't see how it's detrimental, as opposed to all the other promises (spying, forward settling, religious conversion) which have an immediate impact on their own. Plus keeping the promise is too finicky, since borders change and troops move around all the time. In order to still penalize breaking the promise, a diplomatic penalty should be applied to all civs for breaking it (as it should for all promises).

Also agree that a visible timer would be much appreciated, especially for this one. Never know when the promise is up, so I end up being super careful not to have a single unit nearby for like 5-10 turns.

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I settle near someone and immediately get -3 with them then get 3 options

Ignore means I get -3 for not making a promise and if I settle another city it stacks another -3 on top for setlling near them...

Say tough... I get -6 for not making a promise and if I settle another city I get additional -3

If I promise not to, I get the -3 for 30 turns and then it degrades 1 point every 10 turns
    At 30 turns I get +4 for keeping a promise that degrades 1 point ever 15 turns

So a medium term small gain by settling next to them as long as you can handle the initial -3 and do not do it again.

I was pretty sure the distance is 6 tiles... it's just 1 game it seemed to be 8

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  19. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

So if you ignore them you get -6 and if you are rude to them you get -9
    hmm tricky one

agonistes likes this.
  20. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

If its China, Kongo, or India... rude isn't rude enough. I'd take -20 just to tell them off.

Victoria likes this.