1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Movement cost mechanics contradicts itself

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Valmighty, Nov 7, 2016.

1. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Interesting! I'll have to remember that.

2. Olleus

Olleus Deity

That rule is self evident. Otherwise infantry would never be able to cross rivers, pillage or even move onto wooded hills.

3. megabearsfan

megabearsfan Prince

Haven't thought about it too deeply, but I think I'm content with the general rule of combat ending a unit's turn. I also don't think it's inconsistent or a bad implementation.

Would the original poster be more satisfied if the amount of damage that a unit does is proportional to its remaining movement points? The more movement points you have left, the "longer" you get to fight.

I am, however, disappointed that roads aren't more useful than they are. Mobilizing an army can be a very tedious activity.

4. KmDubya

KmDubya King

Roads, even classical ones are useful in moving across rough terrain. Sure on flat terrain they make no difference but a road through a hilly jungle is a world of difference as far as movement goes. Never can understand everyone's complaint about them being worthless when they obviously aren't.

The movement rules are much better than in ciV, there you could always end a movement on top of a hill or rough terrain and scouts made rough terrain meaningless. Now a big band of jungle is a real impediment unless your scout gets promoted.

5. rschissler

rschissler King

Is this where a Cossack has an ability of being able to move after attack? If changes were made to the overall movement cost, how could that affect the Cossack ability?

6. mnf

mnf King

The blue area is where you are able to get to if you are moving efficiently. It is correct in that you will be able to get to any tile within the blue area if you right click on the target tile, and let the game give you the most efficient route. If you take detours and decide that you want to go through a forested hill instead of the open plains tiles, then obviously you will not get as far as you could have. That blue area is an indication for convenience sake, not a guarantee. You are still subject to movement cost limitations en-route.

If changes were made so that attacking costs only the movement cost to move into the target tile, then it's equivalent to granting every single unit the ability to move after attacking.

7. Olleus

Olleus Deity

The blue area is wrong. As in, the game calculates it wrong. It doesn't even agree with the mouse over about where you can get to in one turn.

As for roads being too slow, I agree. Boring as heck to slowly move units from one side of an empire to the other. No speed up until the *modern* era. One of the many things I've fixed in my mod (see signature)

8. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Sometimes, when issuing commands into the fog of war or unexplored lands, you can end up stacked with an enemy unit. Often when attacking an encampment this can happen. Also WHEN this happens you automatically kill support units. I lost 2 balloons to stupid AI somehow stacking a pikeman with my artillery...