1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Remakes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sourboy, May 19, 2009.

?

How much time should pass before a movie is remade?

1. 10-20 years

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. 20-30 years

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. 30-40 years

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. 40-50 years

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. 50+ years

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. No remakes until after death (one release per average viewers lifetime).

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Never, for any reason.

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah.. it's just that every couple years, there's a new Batman movie.. and it's not really a reboot.. I mean, they just re-tell the Batman story differently.. making it more relevant to what is going on in the world at the time, giving it a new updated look, etc.

I never used to get it, cause I could never get into any of the Batman movies.. Every couple years, there'd be a new Batman movie.. much like James Bond, which I could never get into too much either - as I found all of the movies way too similar.

The Dark Knight was great though - no complaints there.

Why do they make these remakes? Because these are BRANDS that people know. A brand can be a powerful thing - be it coca-cola, star trek, batman, or x-men. Creating a new story from scratch is a bit of a risk - with an established franchise, brand name, or simply a remake - you'll at least know that people will know the characters, the technology, the quirks of the story, etc.

It's less risky, so we get a lot of sequels, prequels, and remakes.

2. bender19

bender19 Warlord

Remaking war or action movies is the only time IMO, better special effects can make a remake tollerable. Other than that, whats the point?

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The only point that matters to the studios is $$$$

4. ParangBoi

ParangBoi Chieftain

Thought i thought the "The the Earth Stood Still" remake was a very nice modern adaptation of the 1960s film.

5. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

Ideally, a remake should be something that is done well - a different perspective, a different vision, a different execution. This can end up with some very good results...one thinks of the situation whereby no one ever dared to remake LOTR after Bakshi''s attempt.
    However, a new approach is not necessarily a good thing. There are some plots that have been explored so well in films in their own day that to remake them would be like picking up a dagger and cutting the Mona Lisa...if, The Mission, Brief Encounter, and Death in Venice come to mind: The exposition of those pieces of art is such that a remake will only lessen themselves and be a pale comparison. It needs to be not a remake but a reappraisal to enhance what is done.

There is material out there that could do with a touch up. But it needs to have respect, a subtle touch, and a real vision.

6. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Sorry, but that guy sounds like a douche. PC-ness can be annoying, and so are idiotic executives, but trying too hard to be a cowboy also makes you a clown. Some people need to move on from Ronald Reagan's corpse.

7. Soda7777777

Soda7777777 Warlord

It depends on what movie is being remade. If your making a remake of a really horrible movie, and turning it into a great movie. But say if you made remake of "The Godfather", that would be a horrible idea. A remake of a great movie is usually a bad idea. But if you made a remake of a game, like say Alpha Centauri it might be good.

8. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Reagano continues to give great advice to the world even till this day.

Actually, I found that article on BSG quite entertaining - it was rather harshly sarcastic, and very ironic in retrospect. But at the time I could completely understand the sentiment - on balance, Hollywood has epic failed at plenty of remakes of these, and without knowing anything/anyone personally assuming the worst isn't a bad position. There certainly was no indication that BSG would be the way it was, tackling hot-button political and philsophical issues with intricate storylines - so that article simply boils down to fortunately averted fears. Funny again though. And c'mon, it's not like the "feminism" of Roslin wasn't by far the worst and most annoying part of the whole show, a page right out of Voyager as another poster has observed :lol:
    I completely agree that great movies should not be remade, and oppose shallow money-grabbing attempts. Even poor adaptations of books are incredibly annoying, I'm still succeeding at avoiding a couple I have no intention to ever see. Your last sentence is also incredibly true, way to work that in there. :thumbsup:

9. Imperialmajesty

Imperialmajesty Emperor

Whatever the market decides, dumbasses. Brush up on your Mises.

10. Earthling

Earthling Deity

Brush up on your Captain Planet.

11. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Could you imagine a movie studio daring to remake Casablanca, or Gone With the Wind, or the Wizard of Oz?

12. Xyan

Xyan Cyber Monk

Remakes should be reserved for really bad movies. Then the new ones can only get better.

13. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Remakes are fine for almost-great movies. So remaking Psycho is just wrong but remaking Oceans Eleven was not - at least in principal.

Adaptations are also fair game for remakes. I mean if anyone thinks they can lend something to Henry V that Olivier or Branner didnt then remake away. The bar's been set fairly high though.

Often remixes are poor or pointless but there are exceptions. Screamadelica would not have sold (cant find figues but has to be double didgit millions by now) without The Orb and Wetheralls efforts.

14. bhsup

bhsup Deity

As I have said earlier in this thread, it was remade by the SciFi channel. It was called "Tin Man" and was a pretty good and interesting reimaging of the story.

15. Mad Man

Mad Man Your lord and master

I thought it was dull and boring at least the first episode was.