Movin' on up! (Emperor)

Rhavanna

Chieftain
Hey everyone,

I've recently found myself coming back to Civ games, and this time I decided to try out the new patch for civ5. According to steam I have roughly 400 hours on civ4, and about 100 on civ5. So I have more experience with 4, but I still more or less know what I'm doing on civ5.

Anyway, I just decided to move up to Emperor, and I'm having wildly different results. My first emperor game I rolled continents, (I play on epic speed if that matters? ) and random'd into Greece. I did a tradition opening, then honor, and found myself able to wreck basically everyone on my continent. I ate Washington within about 100 turns, DoW'd England, and puppetted all but one of their cities. I then picked up Rome and similarly left him with one city. I didn't bother eating up Denmark he never really got off the ground. Every city-state on our continent was my ally, and I was 2nd on the scoreboard.

I finally make contact with the other continent, and Arabia is the big-man over there, with Spain and Russia a close second. I remain indifferent to politics on the other landmass, until Arabia starts swallowing the Iroquois up. I build up a navy, buy up all the other city states, and start pummeling Arabia into the ground. It almost felt too easy! I eventually pulled a completely uncontested diplomacy victory, but it was more or less a formality, as I could have gone to war with the world and still come out on top. No harder than king!

My next game was totally different though. I roll Netherlands on Terra Incognita, (new favorite map) and get off to a moderate start. I have all sorts of floodplains and desert nearby, and enough room to comfortably expand to about 4 cities, so I decide to do a tall tradition based game and see where it takes me. Well my neighbors were having none of that. Sweden and Korea declare war on me incredibly early, still only having warriors and archers. I struggle to hold them both off, but I don't lose any cities, defeat their armies, and get nice peace settlements and payments. My troops are crazy promoted by now. Then Monty declares war, and I spend another 30 or so turns fighting off like 15 angry aztec-warrior unit things. I don't lose any cities, but a few units die, and my progress is inevitably slowed. I make Monty pay me to end the war, and the very next turn, Askia declares war and I spend yet another 30 or so turns holding off a massive army.

The AI are suicidally aggressive! Germany devours Askia immediately after he throws all his units at me, and after then Korea turns on Sweden who took more casualties in the war, and eats him up. Monty loses a couple of cities as well. All 3 of them now on the bottom of the scoreboard from trying to kill me o.o; Anyways, I finally have peace, finally get polders, build up what I *think* can defend me, and start trying to build up my cities. I slowly start catching back up in science, but with Korea at the top of the board, it's obvious I'm not going to win a science victory. I decide to go for culture again. Then, my BFF Korea declares war again, and the biggest army I've ever seen in this game starts knocking at my door. It's a bloody war, but I have the defensive position, etc, and I'm holding my own. And then... TURTLE SHIPS show up. I don't even have galleases yet! My navy is obliterated, even though my land forces are forcing a stalemate and Korea is losing units. One turtle ship each attacks my two coastal cities, and singlehandedly take them, even with composite archers and bombardment. Down to two cities, Monty re-declares war, and I concede defeat!

Blah!

What sort of things must I take into account to succeed more often on Emperor? My first game felt too easy, and my 2nd game felt like the entire world ganged up just to ruin poor William's day! Any advice is much appreciated! Is there a way I can like upload a replay or something?

Much thanks!

This sounds like normal AI behavior at this level. Especially for Germany, Askia, and Monty.

Main thing is you said you knew you wouldn't catch up with Korea; AI is so bad at picking techs in end game that you can turn a neck and neck game into a science victory easily.

Tech is the most important thing: National College needs built before turn 100 normal speed (preferably around turn 70); I'm not sure how these translate at Epic speed. Don't forget to build Universities and fill the slots even if your in the middle of a war.

It's important to be able to tell if the AI will turn aggressive on you (usually via testing the AI with trades). If an AI is moving a SIEGE UNIT (e.g. catapult) or a GG toward you, 99% of the time it is looking to dow you (the other 1% consists of you suddenly getting stronger while the AI's army is on route, that AI got dow'ed by another AI, or another AI suddenly got a lot weaker). You need to be able to notice this and try your best bribing that AI to dow on someone else instead.

Hmmm, is it really that easy to turn around such a tech lead? On King I have no problem falling behind a bit but it was my 2nd game on Emperor and I was sooooo far behind Korea of all nations, I just didn't think I'd be able to catch up! My triremes were getting eaten up by turtle ships, and I was trying to hold off swords/pikes/crossbows with spearmen and composite bows.

I guess what seems to be confusing me is just how inconsistent the AIs feel in regards to war. My first emperor game, again my neighbors declared war slowly and one at a time, allowing me to easily defeat them and annex their lands. 2nd game though I had all 4 immediate neighbors all declare war on me and only me.

My latest one is as Carthage and I managed to stay at peace for quite a while. I just got DoW'd by Washington but I was able to stay at peace for ages. I think I'm going to lose a city to him but at least I could see this one coming. The lay of the land though means that it's hard to reinforce, as my army needs to embark across a bay to get to the front lines.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out!

For Emperor, you should normally catch up in tech in the Classical/Early Medieval eras. So as long as you prioritize your science, catching up and staying ahead are easy. And being the tech leader makes all other aspects of the game easier. You can build whatever wonders you want for cultural victories. Your army will be stronger than everyone else. You'll have access to the production/gold buildings early.

As for war, if you like to settle aggressively like me, then you have a pretty good chance of being DoWed early on. A lot of it also depends on your neighbors. Some neighbors like Greece means instant war once you hit turn 70ish. Other civs like India means that they'll almost never DoW you unless you really upset them.

Top Bottom