1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving Your Palace

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by wgauld, Aug 17, 2006.

?

Do you move your palace

Poll closed Aug 24, 2006.
  1. yes

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. sometimes

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. no

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  4. you can move your palace?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wgauld

wgauld Chieftain

Does anyone move their palace to a better position when playing,I never have but do take care in positioning the FB.

2. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I think I've done it once in about a hundred games.

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

I don't really pick a good spot for my FP anymore. I just build it wherever it gets built quickest. And, no I rarely move my palace.

4. rescuerick

rescuerick faithful servant

to me, palace moves are best for those who have made micromanaging an artform - taking into account ring city planning, what version they are using, etc. i'm not into this level of micromanaging, so i don't even really consider it.

5. Tone

Tone Deity Hall of Fame Staff

It depends upon which vesion I'm playing.

Sometimes in vanilla/PtW. If you want to build a second core in an area that you've taken from a strong AI and you've KO'd him yet, then moving the Palace to establish a second core will make flip risks easier to manage in that area. This needs a little bit of advance planning though as the FP must be up in your first core otherwise you lose out. Done preferably with a leader but otherwise by jumping.

Though in C3C, I can't think of a single game where I've done it. As Tomoyo says, get that FP up asap to lower corruption across the empire. It would have to be a really poor location to move my capital.

6. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

If it's a really poor location, I'm not playing that game. I don't mind a challenge to catch up to the AI (that's any level over emp for me) but I don't want to make it any harder on myself. There's fun, and then there's fun, ya know?

7. simone76

simone76 Chieftain

I've never moved the palece.
    I feel like it would be unfair to the people in my capitol.:)

8. IronJeff

IronJeff War Dog

Ive done it to get my capital off of an island and onto the mainland, but its rare. the time I did it I moved it to the former cap of a dead rival where there was a core of cities on prime land. the old capital was on a rocky beach on a 3 city island

9. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

I've moved it the other way on to an island, or across the mainland. It only gets done by me to enable some mass teleportation of units to speed up a conquest win.

10. Runes

Runes Chieftain

I'll move my palace if my starting location sucks. LIke, two squares of plains then mountains for a dozen tiles in every direction.

11. adog

adog Prince

I have done this once, when my core wasn't very ideal and I had a leader to rush it in a much better place, centrally and more productive.

12. guare

guare Chieftain

sometimes i try to make my capital the center of my empire. sometimes, i just dont want to waste shields..

13. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I rarely move my capital. I usually keep it where it is unless there is a much better place.

14. Little Corporal

Little Corporal fromage

Once in a world map where I controlled all of Canada and the US. I moved my capital from San Francisco to Chicago.

15. The Shepherd

The Shepherd Chieftain

The only time I ever move my capital is if and when my first city gers captured by an enemy, then recaptured by me. I move my capital back to the first city.

16. wxwindmill

wxwindmill Prince

If you are talking about abandoning the palace city so that a different city becomes the capital, I rarely do that. However I tend to grind out my wins into the early modern era in c3c, so if I have a factories and powerplants in my palace city and surrounding cities such that they can produce units in a reasonable number of turns without the palace and the waste reduction, I'll use a MGL to rush a new palace somewhat often in a recently captured AI city that would likely culture flip particularly if the city is in a good spot and/or I want to KEEP surrounding luxuries (plus IIRC it lessens the chance of other nearby recently captured cities flipping).

17. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

IIRC I've moved my Palace exactly twice....

1) Kal-El's World Map. Polynesia. 'nuff said for anyone who knows that map.

2) On a pretty standard continents map, when I missed the GLib in York with enough shields for the palace. It was more a 'Why not?' intuition, but moving those 5 tiles to a more central location helped surprisingly much with the Deity distance corruption, even in c3c. On similar landmasses (pretty much RL Spain), I'd consider moving the Palace from coastal to 'Madrid' since that time.

18. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Moving my palace?

I'd rather start a new game.

19. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Too lazy to.

Also, only in rare circumstances, such as start in the land of junk, or capital in an island (or I just keep it there and make it my Fortress of Doom).