MP Modpack Stability with the new versions

Quaaaid

Chieftain
Hi guys, been a huge fan of CBP/VP for many years now, and I'm returning to civ 5 with a friend after a hiatus of 5 years or so. Crazy to see that the mod is still being developed, I'm very excited to get back into it. There used to be people churning out modpacks all the time and I would play most of my civ in coop with my friend.

I can't find much info about it apart from the one remaining modpack thread with the stability fix and other things. I have found on this thread a link to a 2018 version that is considered the most stable. Is it true that VP has been updated in a direction where multiplayer modpacks are not stable anymore, and, if true, are there any known plans to address this?

Thanks for your time :)

Anecdotal, but I have a modpack using the newest version with 34UC and nothing else and it we're consistently having crashes for the person that's not the host in multiplayer. If anyone has any suggestions to mitigate this I'd appreciate them.

Anecdotal, but I have a modpack using the newest version with 34UC and nothing else and it we're consistently having crashes for the person that's not the host in multiplayer. If anyone has any suggestions to mitigate this I'd appreciate them.
Disappointing to here. 2018 was four years ago and as far as i can tell, it was the last stable MP VP version.
You can increase stability with
-begin games with no cache
-no barbs. no events. Barbs often desync games.
Actually i think other threads have way better lists of things to try to increase stab. They do work, just not enough.

I imagine there are many players waiting for a new stable MP version (like my 3 friends and I), but at this point it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon.

We're also playing with a version that's a few years old, but we made tweaks to it ourselves to balance out some things, to keep at least some of the fun of an "evolving" modpack. Of course it's very subjective but based on tons of gameplay experience, so if anyone wants it I can share.

I imagine there are many players waiting for a new stable MP version (like my 3 friends and I), but at this point it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon.

We're also playing with a version that's a few years old, but we made tweaks to it ourselves to balance out some things, to keep at least some of the fun of an "evolving" modpack. Of course it's very subjective but based on tons of gameplay experience, so if anyone wants it I can share.
Hi !
I am totally interested by your modpack !

Life is too short to not try your modpack

Through our latest playthroughs I came up with several more balance changes to take care of, so give me a week and I'll have a new version which I can upload here

My friends and me would also be very interested in a stable MP Mod Pack :)

Hi, here the link to the newest version of my Modpack:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16z1OiAioB__HuW4TUQ_C9jwjXt5dJNft/view?usp=sharing

Of course full credit goes to the original creators of VP; all I did was tweak the numbers. We playtested it over the weekend and even I was surprised how stable it was (with 4 players, small map size, barbs enabled, ancient ruins disabled).

I'd also be happy to receive feedback on the balance, as I'll make a new version as soon as I have a list of items to adjust.
Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16z1OiAioB__HuW4TUQ_C9jwjXt5dJNft/view?usp=sharing

Of course full credit goes to the original creators of VP; all I did was tweak the numbers. We playtested it over the weekend and even I was surprised how stable it was (with 4 players, small map size, barbs enabled, ancient ruins disabled).

I'd also be happy to receive feedback on the balance, as I'll make a new version as soon as I have a list of items to adjust.
Enjoy!
Hey, thank you for the modpack, I will test it !

Enjoy!

Thanks. I tried the mod with 2 Human Players, 6 AI, 16 City States (Continents Plus, Large, Epic).
It went extremely nicely with no issues for 117 turns (- I was host). Then a sync save occurs and when loading, Civ5 crashed to desktop for me (it did not crash for the non-host). My co-player became host and invited me back in. The next turn is another sync save and again it crashes to desktop for me (- now as non-host). After that we stopped playing.

So, if you know if this can be avoided, then I'd be happy to receive advice.

Anyway, it looked very promising until the de-syncs and crashes.

Edit:
After reboot (clear memory) and deleting the cache and restarting and reloading the turn before the desync, it worked fine again and we have passed another 10 stable turns). I’ll report back if we encounter any other issue.

Last edited:
@Aad van het Kalifaat

Firstly, thanks again for sharing your mod pack. It is definitely very good in a lot of ways pertaining to multiplayer stability.

And while I really like that your mod is much more stable in general (to the point where you can use barbarians with no real issues), I just have the fairly serious issue that often during (the much less frequent) re-syncs, the game crashes to desktop when during the load screen after a de-sync. I think it could become more non-crash-stable if the mod would be slightly slimmer regarding EUI and Unit Path Viewer. At least it would become an even better version for me and my friends to play (because we are a bit biased against EUI and even more so against Unit Path Viewer).

So, if possible, I would greatly appreciate if you could make a somewhat slimmed down version of your mod Pack, consisting of all the current components (1) - (5) and then
Basically not use the 6(a) (EUI) version and instead use 6(b) Community Pack Overhaul - Compatibility Files (No EUI), plus remove the components starting with UI and also remove Unit Path Viewer (v10).

If also possible, we really like the newer promotion icons and promotion trees for VP, so potentially adding these two components would be great:
7(a) Promotion Icons for VP (v1)
7(b) UI Promotion Tree for VP (v20)*

*: Not sure which version of 7(b) is compatible with your version of VP but I suspect v20 would be a close version (perhaps a little lower than that otherwise).

Best regards,
Jörgen

Last edited:
Hey, I don't know if it's exactly the same version I had but I found that disable the CS quest "Horde" can improve the stability of the late game in multiplayer. Also, if it is the same version, I found that the AI tends to lose a lot of cities because of Unhappiness in mid/late game and every time it has occurred we got a desync :/ I don't know how to disable it.

Top Bottom