MP Standard size Shuffle map had no AI opponents

billybgame

King
Very confused. Started our first ever MP game and wanted random maps....so tried Shuffle. We like to do random as much as we can, so did so with size as well. Came up Standard, so we went with the game. As the game got later and later, started to seem odd to not have either of us meet a single AI leader.

Well, map is pretty uncovered....there are no other leaders! So, basically it's a Normal map size duel, even though the game Menu screen shows 8 civs.

Any explanation for this weirdness?

We are not off to a rip roaring MP start....the game before, we had to abort very quickly, as I ended up with Venice. Who the hell wants a game where you can't build Settlers?

So, I at least know to quit any game where I get Venice. But, got to get this map size stuff figured out before we invest time in another MP game.

Edit: PS....I Googled this first and got nowhere....FYI

Last edited:
Where'd all the help go on this forum? We certainly don't want to put hours into another MP game only to find no AI opponents again. Love to know how this occurred.

My son and I started another MP game, and just to test, used Shuffle again...got Standard again(random).....1 AD with lots of open territory on a continent, and neither of us have met an AI Civ, yet again.

Something sure is amiss. I Google this and see nothing about Shuffle being like this. Has no one here played Shuffle in MP? I'm assuming that's what it is. Guess we'll try something different next time, but would sure be nice to have a random map option, besides Fractal.

Ok...so I gave up on Shuffle....being no one seems to have seen any issues with MP. Last night we tried Fractal, instead. Our random selections came up with a Huge world. I'm on a huge land mass, and my son says he is as well. I could literally settle 50 cities! Not a single AI opponent to be seen, but certainly hordes of barbarians....akin to raging Barbs from Civ 4! We put 6 hours in, it's 1200 AD, just getting to Astronomy, so not positive. But, given the prior games, feeling pretty lonely and more than a little paranoid. 1200 AD, with supposedly 13 Civs and 24 city-states, and I've met one single city-state and this humongous land mass. There were so many Barbs, I still have yet to explore the outer fringes and a thin strip that may even connect to my son. I've literally killed hundreds of Barbs I am sure.

What in the world is going on? More than odd to me that my son has played 4 Civ 5 MP games and never seen an actual other Civ, besides me!!!!!! And, no one here has any insights? The whole thing is very, very, weird.

I'd really hate to give up on MP with him. It'd be a blast, but something is seriously wrong, and I told him we're not investing anymore time in this, until I figure it out.

Last edited:
Does no one have any insights on what might be causing this? I am getting beyond very frustrated and starting to get very angry. I bought this game for my son so we could play MP together, so the fact that we are going to give up on it, angers me very much.

There is no doubt something is wrong. But, Google gets me nowhere, and no one answers here. Very angry and frustrated indeed.

I believe I have determined it has to do with choosing "random" Map Size. If I pick any size myself, other "unmet players" show, like in SP. I forgot it showed like that, or would have known to abort our games instead of wasting so many hours! Still, I always like to play "random" so that REALLY sucks. Is there a way to fix this so you can choose random size and get your AI opponents? It certainly works in single player, as that is all I ever do.

Edit: Guess I was wrong.....been starting MP games and experimenting.....If I started a random map size, but change the staging room slots below my name to AI, it does work....I get "unmet players" to show. But, tried with us two and picked a size and once again, no "unmet players". We tried on a random size, made the other 4 visible slots AI, and it gave us Duel size, with 4 "unmet players"!!!!! The whole thing is rather stupid and maddening. If this is what Steam did to multiplayer....wow.

I find it very hard to believe no one has run across these issues in MP during all these years. Obviously, there are issues, and you have to figure out how to work around them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom