MP's Mountain & Hill Terrain

Midnight Piper

The Final Tyrant
New mountains and hills for Sn00pys Terrain. Used Womak's as the original template, then wen't off on a tangent.

Edit Sep 10, 2004: Added the 'drier' mountains version. Sample in post #7.

Edit Sep 19, 2004: Developed a 'mixed' variant, considering this version 1.2. Screenshot in post #20.

Pick the version you like the best:
MP's Mountains & Hills 1.0
MP's Drier Mountains & Hills 1.0
MP's Mountains & Hills Mixed 1.2

Samples in the following posts.

Sample of massed mountains. Also shows the only mountains that don't have any snow at all - the jungle mountains, lower right corner.

Attachments

• MtnSamp1.jpg
    MtnSamp1.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 1,967
Sample of individual mountain chains:

Attachments

• MtnSamp2.jpg
    MtnSamp2.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 1,885
Sample of a mixed range - the Alps from Rhye's 180:

Attachments

• MtnSamp3.jpg
    MtnSamp3.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 1,794
And finally a view of Volcanoes. I tried to keep the cone shape, but they aren't as obvious as the default - keep a careful eye out when settling...

Attachments

• MtnSamp5.jpg
    MtnSamp5.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,680
Now a question: is there any call for a 'drier' version of these? The image below shows the Alps using mountains without snowcap for the standard, and moves the snowcap mountains shown above into the mountains-snow category. I preferred the snow-caped and snow-covered mountain set above, but I thought other's might feel different.

Attachments

• MtnAlt1.jpg
    MtnAlt1.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,616
Great work :goodjob:

MP, The graphics for the jungle hills are the same as the wooden one. Have you thought about having the palms instead?

Niessuh said:
The graphics for the jungle hills are the same as the wooden one.

:blush: Ohoh, one of my shortcuts caught...

Yes, I need to change those (and the mountain-jungle). I had endless trouble with the jungle-cover, and finally used a forest cover version for both (justified with 'hay, it's higher elevation!).

Midnight Piper said:
Now a question: is there any call for a 'drier' version of these? The image below shows the Alps using mountains without snowcap for the standard, and moves the snowcap mountains shown above into the mountains-snow category. I preferred the snow-caped and snow-covered mountain set above, but I thought other's might feel different.
Me too, yet they look fine indeed :) and worth publishing- you wouldn't be able to make a single tile Matterhorn and Rock of Gibraltar on their own, would you?

Added the 'drier' version to post #1. I'd suggest using the standard version's mountains-snow for an LM Mountain: Tundra variant.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
you wouldn't be able to make a single tile Matterhorn and Rock of Gibraltar on their own, would you?

I've actually been working on them - among others. Publishing what I have would only serve to show everyone what a difference there is between being able to produce 'detailed' terrain models and 'accurate' representations. I'll keep at it, might eventually produce something between the resulting bouts of frustration. :lol:

My first thought was that I liked the dry ones the best but I already have the snow covered mountains installed and they are sooooooo beautiful :twitch: I can't bring myself to change it. I love this mountain set so much. I have posted in some terrain mod threads saying how great their work is when I have only seen the preveiws. I was still using the default C3C graphics before this graphics pack arrived. I just had to try it out so I installed snoopy's terrain, your new mountains and whatever else you made along with a few of Pounder's stuff too. So it was an extremely drastic change going from C3C graphics to that wonderful combination.

I might need to make an infomercial, just to use this as a 'client testimonial'

... No testimonials in this commercial have been paid for ...

:goodjob: they're cool [no pun intended] I'm now using the drier version.

I've been tweaking the mountain set again. While doing some detailing I noticed that certain mountain models always/nearly always appeared at the edge or end of a mountain range.

Set me off doing some merging

- the 'drier' mountains were used for the edges/ends of 'mountain' ranges, while the 'snow-capped' mountains stayed in use for the 'body' of the ranges.

- the 'snow-capped' mountains were used for the edges/ends of 'snow-capped' mountain ranges, while the 'snow-covered' mountains stayed in use for the 'body' of the ranges.

The result is some visually-pleasing variation to all the mountain ranges.

In addition, I did some color-tweaking on the hills - the previous version was always a little too brown for my tastes.

I like this enough to call it version 1.2 - available in post #1.

Here's another shot of the alps:

Attachments

• Mtnmixsample.jpg
    Mtnmixsample.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 678
Top Bottom