Mr. Dictator needs career advice.

Mr. Dictator

A Chain-Smoking Fox
Long story short, what could i go to vocational school to be that would have a decent career in portland, oregon.

just throw some out there.

Long story short, what could i go to vocational school to be that would have a decent career in portland, oregon.

just throw some out there.
Farmer????

A car mechanic.

Been there done that. Bad idea.

Those jobs are usually mediocre paying jobs at dealers or shops where you only get a % of the hour rate they charge the customer.

I'm sure a least one person is growing massive amounts of weed in downtown Portland.

I'm sure a least one person is growing massive amounts of weed in downtown Portland.
Ni i meant grape farmer (maybe you can go into the wine business too!)

Let the market decide.

Ni i meant grape farmer (maybe you can go into the wine business too!)

In Portland?

Though it may work better if he went south of there.

Didn't you go to college, Mr. Dictator? What was it for?

I don't know if anyone can give you career advice. Job advice is something different. Careers last a lifetime.

1) Have an epiphany / wake up / find a cause greater than yourself
2) Having found something you are willing to support for free, become qualified to get paid for supporting that cause in some way.
3) ?
4) Profit
5) Use profit to further your agenda

Note: 3, 4, and 5 are not necessarily required for a lifetime of fullfilling endeavors.

I think most people spend their lives in jobs, never really having a career or seeing that which links their efforts.

Cars that work really good is probably not gonna cut it for a life's work, but it's a place to get some cash and figure out what really interests you (maybe it is cars that become your medium, and you design a ferrari :dunno:

In Portland?

Though it may work better if he went south of there.

Didn't you go to college, Mr. Dictator? What was it for?

actually, i know a friend here who met a guy who worked at a vinyard in portland. that wouldnt be a bad job.

and yes, i went for 3 semesters and i'm doing horrible because i just can't focus on it. i think i'm one of those people who are content just living. if that makes sense.

I don't know if anyone can give you career advice. Job advice is something different. Careers last a lifetime.

1) Have an epiphany / wake up / find a cause greater than yourself
2) Having found something you are willing to support for free, become qualified to get paid for supporting that cause in some way.
3) ?
4) Profit
5) Use profit to further your agenda

Note: 3, 4, and 5 are not necessarily required for a lifetime of fullfilling endeavors.

career, job. mispoke.

Learn to do something useful, well.

A vocational education by itself has limited long term possibilities for economic success. You need to figure our what your talents are. What kinds of things you like to do and can do well? What is your personality like? What kind of work ethic do you have?

With some of those answered, you can begin to explore the best opportunities.

Don't become Mr. Democratic. Democracies suck.

what is that?
It trains you to live by yourself and work and have a social life then they put you into a job like at mt.rushmore or some lame place like that!

what is that?

It is a Government run program where you live in a dorm and train for 40 hours a week in a vocational class
uto Mechanics

Learn all aspects of automotive service repair including front end, brakes, steering, engine principles, tune-up, air-conditioning, oil and lubrication, rear axle, and driveline repair. Students learn to perform safety inspections and emissions tests under the guidance of certified technicians.
Facilities Maintenance*

Instructed by the Home Builders Institute, students learn basic building craft skills including painting, plumbing, framing, electrical wiring, and HVAC system servicing.
Business Office Technologies

Students are prepared to work in an office or business environment using computer technology. They will master fundamental office procedures and practices such as keyboarding, business communications, office machines, filing, and customer service.
Carpentry*

Taught by the United Brotherhood of Carpenters, students are trained in a pre-apprentice program that teaches drywall application, residential wall framing, column forms, wall forms, footing forms, scaffolding, light gauge framing, and the installation of shingles, doors, stairs, and cabinets.
Cement Masonry*

The training for Cement Masonry is offered by the Operative Plasterers and Cement Masons International Union. Students receive training in a pre-apprentice program where they learn how to set forms, mix concrete, pouring techniques, and finish techniques.
Culinary Arts

Learn an important foundation for a career in the ever changing, challenging and very rewarding world of culinary arts. Studies include proper food handling techniques, food borne illness prevention, recipe conversions, baking techniques, soups, sauces, and various international as well as regional cuisines.
Electrical*

Taught by the Home Builders Institute, students learn to assemble, install, operate, maintain, and repair electrical systems and equipment used in the industry.
Health Occupations

Students receive training in Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) and Home Health Aid. They are involved in hands-on care of the sick and elderly in long-term care facilities.
Hospitality

The Hospitality vocation utilizes the START (Skills, Tasks, and Results Training) program. The curriculum was developed by representatives for workforce development, education, industry and corrections who formed a focus group that also included instructional designers and other industry experts. The course covers 12 of the major line-level positions in the hospitality industry and teaches the skills and tasks necessary to do each job. The 12 major line-level positions include: Front Desk Representative, Reservationists, PBX Operator, Bell Services Attendant, Guestroom Attendant, Maintenance Worker, Laundry Attendant, Public Space Cleaner, Restaurant Server, Banquet Setup Employee, Banquet Server, and Bus Person. Graduates of the START class receive a Certificate of Completion from the Educational Institute.
Medical Office Support

The Medical Office Support vocational area is set up to train students in basic office procedure skills with an emphasis on the medical setting. Students receive training in the areas of medical records clerk, medical office support, medical transcribing, medical receptionist, and insurance claims coordinator.
Painting*

Taught by the International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades, as a pre-apprentice students learn ladder and scaffold use, surface preparation, paint and coating application, wood finishing, and wall covering.
Plastering*

Operative Plasterers and Cement Masons International Union prepares students in a pre-apprentice program where they'll learn mixing procedures, interior and exterior surface applications, and repairing and refurbishing techniques.
Plumbing*

Trained in a pre-apprentice program taught by the Home Builders Institute, students learn how to install, maintain, and repair systems according to specification and plumbing codes.
Security

Understand and learn basic law enforcement principles and procedures as they apply to maintaining security for individuals and property. Subjects include patrol and guard post procedures, report writing, search, seizures and arrests, first aid, dispatcher duties and procedures. Students must participate in physical fitness training and testing.
Welding

Learn welding and cutting processes including the joining of parts according to blueprints or written specifications. Students learn industrial requirements for the following: tungsten inert gas (TIG), gas metal arc welding (GMAW), and flux core arc welding (FCAW).

*Students must be 18 years of age to enroll.

If you don't have a diploma or a license you can get those there also.

The age range is from 16-23 ( you can stay untill you are 26 thou If you stay and take college classes at a local university - they will pay for all of your classes - room board and give you 350 $ a month in spending money - it is a lot less if you are not in the college program thou)

The classes I listed were from the Reno job corps - look up a school close to you to find the classes they have there.

There are over 100 of them so if you want to move to another city - now is your chance.

Check it out -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_Corps

Some of the schools are more ghetto than others so make sure you take a tour when the kids are not in classes to get a feel for it. Go to some of the partys and such. So you can see if you like the crowd and what not.

Some schools are closed campus and some are open. The closed campuses are safe and organized but, the open ones are way funner. 400 kids on the bus to downtown to run amok :D :D it allmost makes me wanna go back thinking about it :king: When they open the new Vegas campuses I will but, I'll stay off campus this time. ( If you need a change of pace go on campus)

Why do ya wanna live in Portland?

Top Bottom