1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MSDG Role-Playing Game: Landowner game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Gingerbread Man, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Here is the RPG I planned for Quirnial way back, but died due to lack of interest (A bit edited)
    In addition to that, any MSDG citizen may start up a business to earn money. They can only sell products that the manufacturers supply them. They buy products off the manufacturers at a price of 40% of what they intend to sell the product for (as below). When a product is sold the cost goes:
    60% goes to the retailer
    10% goes to the president in taxes
    40% goes to the manufacturer of the goods (as said above)

Adds up to 110%! Dont worry, that is to encourage trade.

Manufacturers - Are the people manufacture goods to sell. In order for a good to be manufactured it must, in game terms:
    a) be researched in-game
    b) have the required resource connected, and owned by the manufacturer.

Of the money that the manufacturer receives by supplying goods to be sold:
    90% goes to the manufacturer
    Adds up to 90%! Dont worry. Is intended to create inflation, to ofset the 110% trade benefit. that 10% shall be called dead money, money that is spent on machine maintainence, etc.

Citizens are to keep track of their earnings, and submit a statement of their earnings that turn to the bank. For example, If I were a landowner owning 20 tiles, giving me 50 gpt, and a retailer of fur hats costing 15gpt each:

It will be an honesty system. Just be honest.

This system cycles the money in the following way:
    Code:
    	   /\> > > > > > > President

/\		      /\

/\		      /\
           landowners > > > > Retailers < < < < Other citizens
    			      \/

\/

Manufacturers
    			      \/

\/

Dead money
    By the way, if landowning becomes unprofitable, multipliers may be placed on it to increase the earnings that landowners earn.

EXAMPLE 1:
    Mr Pentavian V has become a very successful landowner, and acquired the fur resource. He decides he wants to make fur coats to help the nation through winter.

Mr Thirty J is interested in selling these fur coats. Pentavian and Thirty both agree to sell these hats at 15 gold a piece. This means that:
    9 gold to the retailer, Mr Thirty J.
    6 gold to the manufacturer, Mr Pentavian V.
    1.5 gold to the president.

Of the 6 gold that Mr Pentavian receives:
    5.4 gold he keeps
    0.6 gold dies.

------------------------------------------------------------

This will in no way be integrated into the law, just something I am running. I will be the game manager, and I will need a bank manager (who receives all the statements of earnings) and a land manager (who takes care of the landowning matters). Together we make up the reserve bank, who may modify any of the above to fix any problems, or economic slumps.

Who wants to volunteer in the other positions?

Also, dont worry about the system being badly done. The reserve bank can, and will, change anything that isn't working.

2. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

That *might* be interesting. But what about making known ressource spots cost more than normal spots? That could be a good reason to buy things like desert tiles before Gunpowder or Refinery are researched.

3. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

Do the Retailer and Manufactorer need to be separate people? I know that I would like to keep as much of my money to myself as much as I can.

4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Why would I buy a sword?

5. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

That's a good question, Hygro. What about cyber-social-rpg life and manufactured goods use?

6. Hygro

If somehow there could be some kind of competition attached. I have actually thought of a very interesting demogame rpg package (I haven't put it on paper or the web yet) that could actually make sense but as it stands the demogame rpgs are as empty as can be--to my eyes anyway. If you wish to try to change my view please do! I understand people have fun with it so I'd be nice to understand.

7. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I could be interested. :) Good idea, GBM. Either this works & brings new people to the MSDG, or thgen this dies out due to lack of participants. I hope the first.

8. Gingerbread Man

The idea is that there will be a story-telling rpg along side this. Say you are part of a story, and all-of-a-sudden you get in a swordfight. You need a sword to have any hope, dont you? What happens if your character gets in a fight, and doesn't have his sword?

EDIT: ok, in order to buy a resource tile, you need to own at least eight tiles already. Also, resources cost 3x normal price. Effective: now.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but most RPGs have a story element and a business element. They go side in side, but you dont actually have to participate in both.

The game will hopefully start very soon. the 9th of October, maybe.

EDIT: Vander - I would prefer that not to happen. It ruins the feel of the working class supporting the upper classes. You are a retailer - a rich merchant, you dont manufacture stuff, do you?

This system would be very good in industrial era, but somehow I doubt that the game will get that far.

9. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

:) Cool!

10. Gingerbread Man

Well, are there any takers for bank manager and land manager positions? As soon as these are filled, we can start the game. For anyone that wants to join the game, tell me here, and I will open them an account with 5 gold.

Also, lets try to give this an asian feel. You are the emporer of a chinese Dynasty. Do chinese things, mmkay?

Oh, and to make it useful to buy swords, shields, etc, you can draft any laborers that work on you land to military. If you do so, for the turns the laborer is drafted you dont get land taxes from them. You must equip them with weapons, horses, etc. They can then be used to invade other lands. I will devise a system for that to work once we get to that point in the game. You may sell your military as mercenaries for GPT.

11. Hygro

we cant have a bank manager until we learn banking :p

12. Vander

I think I'd play, but not as a manager.

13. Hygro

thats one of my problems with the rpg is that its not entertwined enough with the physical game.

14. Gingerbread Man

Well, when we limited ourselves to business when banking came, the RPG flopped. We dont want to limit the game.

15. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Yeah. I like this. "Do chinese things" :lol: Like what? I think I'll also play, but I wouldn't like to be a manager... Sorry. I'm just too lazy to manage other peoples money etc. :rolleyes:

16. Gingerbread Man

"Do chinese things" - e.g.
    Martial Arts Masters
    Temples of Asian Philosophies Zen, Shinto (Japanese, though), Confucianism
    Powerful Dynasties
    Royal Seals
    Jackie Chan Movies (And their bloopers)

Maybe then you will know Shin (Truth), Zen (Goodness) and Bi (Beauty).

17. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Ok. All clear. :D

18. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Why did this die out?

Oh, here must be problems in getting managers...:(

I can be one, but I'll need the map of our lands.

19. Gingerbread Man

Managers, but also that nobody registered interest.

And thanks for volunteering, I'll put you to good use ;)

20. Vander

I registered interest... If i didn't, I am now.