1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MSN Mesenger error 31000306

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by BirraImperial, Mar 29, 2008.

1. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Hi,

I've recently switched my Internet connection from Cable modem to Wimax. Ever since that change, I've been unable to log into Messenger from my Desktop. I get an error 31000306. Default gateway offline. I can't access the Hotmail website either. All other websites and applications work fine.The weird thing is, that I can log in normally from my laptop, which is connected through a wireless router. I use windows firewall and avast! antivirus. Any ideas?

System specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 7600GS

2. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

First guess that the firewall is blocking the port that MSN is using. You may have to make a custom rule for it.

3. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Well, I have msn on my firewall exception list. Do you know which ports does messenger uses?

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

port 1863

a quick google search does not answer your question. http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=70030 offers the suggestion:

This is how to fix it:
    a. Start Windows Live Messenger.
    b. On the "Tools" menu, click "Options."
    c. Click "Connection" in the left navigation pane.
    d. Click "Advanced Settings" in the "Connection Settings" section.
    e. Delete the content of the "SOCKS" field.
    f. Save settings.

however it's not known to work.

i'm not finding any other answer, except a suggestion to check your account name and password to make certain they are correct and try a different account. All the other answers google get are in spanish so i can't read them

5. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Weird. I've done nothing and it seems to be working from time to time right now. I gonna check a few more things. Thanks.

6. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

I googled around a bit, and most people have had the same exact problem and solution. It just suddenly started working again. next time is stops working though, try connecting using Pidgin. If Pidgin does work, its a problem with your client, if it doesnt, its a problem with M$.