MSVCP71.dll causing crashes

Aeravel

Chieftain
I've spent many hours trying to fix this and find a solution but cannot find anything on this problem. The problem I've been having is all my games inevitably reach a point when they will have a crash that says the fault is caused by MSVCP71.dll. I'm unable to complete any games because of this problem and it's very frustrating. I do have MSVCP71.dll in the civ folder and the system 32 folder so it's not missing. OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

When the crash happens the music stops playing and everything freezes except the cursor. After closing it the error is indicated to be caused by MSVCP71.dll (windows error reporting shows that) I've tried going back to previous saves and doing everything different when this problem occurs but is unavoidable after a few hundred turns. At first I thought starting a new game would help, but it's no use. It happens again and again unavoidably.

I noticed other people have problems with MSVCP71.dll but that looks like it's caused by it missing. I've mentioned already it's not missing and it is there, but somehow it's causing crashes. Updated DirectX9 to latest version and updated graphics card drivers to latest version. I didn't have this problem before BTS 3.13. I took a long break and only recently got back into civ4 but this crash is crippling.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm out of ideas on what to do.

The only things I can think of that might be affecting this is a custom dll I'm using allowing 40 civs combined with Bhruic's unofficial patch. Besides that I'm running a mod called Wolfshanze Mod for BTS. But if that was it I probably wouldn't be able to launch BTS at all without the MSVCP71.dll crash. It was patched to 3.13 first and then the unofficial patch on top.

There is a fix I have..sort of..but not ideal.. Going into worldbuilder and saving the game as a scenario and then loading the scenario eliminates the MSVCP71.dll problem..but that creates other problems due to being a new scenario such city defenses restored, diplo relations reset, scores changed, so it's not much of a fix but it's the only playable solution I have right now.

Yes. My problem was caused by a buggy 40 civ dll combined with bhruic's patch. Using a new recompiled dll of the same thing made by someone else stopped the CTDs. It was also somewhat related to a mod called Wolfshanze mod, which I found out after seeing a few other people having the same CTD. I assume the same problem could happen with other mods, so simply using a different dll can fix the problem.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6897627&postcount=1050

Top Bottom