Mulcarn and Immortality

Avahz Darkwood

Emperor
Would not Mulcarns spere of influence be link to the state of immorality (IE stasis, unchanging) seeing that the act of againg would stand still. Especially considering the number of immortal units in the game. Or is there another god with influence over time...?

Well there really is no time 'sphere', and I'm sure the other lesser gods have methods or abilities which they can use to manipulate time to an extent. Although The One does have an orb that controls time, it is really not stated anywhere that the other gods have limited control over time.

Honestly, Kael is probably the one who can answer this best as it was origionally his idea I believe.

I think they are supposed to be reborn. It is probably more of Sucellus's sphere than Mulcarn's, although not necessarily either's.

(In my modmod the Illians will have an unchanging "Heir of Taranis" Immortal UU. These will be stronger than most Immortals (or perhaps weaker but with Ice Affinity?), but will lose their unitcombat (and thus ability to get promotions) when they upgrade to this position.)

Huh, I wonder if Sucellus' rebirth is somehow connected with Mulcarn's? Perhaps the fact that Sucellus was allowed to return from the dead meant that Mulcarn could too, or maybe the energies that brought S back kind of backwashed onto M as well, though to a lesser extent.

On the subject of Mulcarn and his stasis, it always seemed odd that he had Chaos mana, as his unchanging nature seems to indicate more the Lawful end of the spectrum.

I thought Mulcarn was reduced to just his soul and only escaped the Shadowed Vale before entering Arawn's domain because of Auric's magical ability. A more interesting question to me is what would have happened if Mulcarn ended up in Arawn's domain. It seems like he would still be extremely powerful and able to influence the fabric of Arawn's vault.

I concur with Corlis.

In my version he starts with Ice (which I added), Enchantment, and Law. (Is it odd that 2 out of 3 of this evil civ lead by an evil god's manas are from Good Aligned gods? Oh well, he is stated as being the least evil of the evil gods.)

Edit: I wish Kael would fix all the oddities I point in under 3 minutes after posting them. Grigori Medics can still cast all High Priest spells (if they randomly get a religion)

No gods have influence over time. That was the reason in specifying the creation of temporence in the world history (as smjjames said).

Immortality, eternal youth, ressurection, persistent rebirth (ie: soul cycling) and such are all possible but they dont have anything to do with time. Note that Cerdiwen gave Kylorin eternal youth, and made Eve persistently reborn. Neither of which touched on the life sphere that was still Arawn's dominion at the time.

So Erebus is on a planar dimension of its own. There is an affectual clock in the shape of a blue orb, and all creation is subject to its ticking. Also,

No gods have influence over time.

But, what about entropy? It's a function of time, and maybe vice versa. Time (capital T) as a substance, or a dimension, is closer to entropy, death, and chaos, and opposed to nature and creation as well as ice. Could you make the case that as Agares controls entropy he also controls time?

I don't think so.

Really, Entropy isn't a good term for his sphere. I prefer to call him the God/Angel of Despair.

Yeah, I was making the assumption that the angels have control over their related magic spheres, and I don't know if that's correct. I really don't know if the different kinds of magic fall under each angel, or if magic itself just belongs to Ceridwen.

Do entropy and despair have to be exclusive? Despair is a good psychological equivalent to entropy.

I would guess that Cerdiwen's domain is magic in general (although with a tendency to the dark arts), but I'm not sure of her sphere. She was origionally the angel of stars (or the angel of the cosmos), so either her sphere is metamagic or she doesn't specialize in one sphere like the others do.

Also, entropy is not neccesarily associated with time, but rather it's associated with decay. While it would obviously be associated with decay over time, it doesn't have to be.

Time is a function of entropy when you are looking at mathematics or physics I believe.

No, Ceridwen's sphere is dimensional magic. Oghma's sphere is metamagic/knowledge. Ceridwen was responsible for binding the worlds together (and, later, also riping them apart). This ability also probably also allows her channel the magic from the all planes of all the different spheres for sorcerers to use, while most gods can only channel power from the planes of their own element. On the other hand, Kael has stated that mortals can only channel mana from their own plane, so that might not be right.

I personally like to think that she doesn't really have a vault of her own, but instead control all the space linking all other universes (the Nexus, maybe?)

While gods have an extremely strong connection to their spheres (and themselves act as portal though which the power of their sphere can be channeled, with or without their consent), I'm not sure if their power is really exclusive. The divine spark from Nemed, the original god of life, if what lets humans channel every sphere. Also, Auric Ulvin, the reincarnated God of Winter, channeled Sun magic to escape from the Shadowed Vale.

Still, it would be an influence over time, but not an influence of time itself.

I concur with Corlis.

In my version he starts with Ice (which I added), Enchantment, and Law. (Is it odd that 2 out of 3 of this evil civ lead by an evil god's manas are from Good Aligned gods? Oh well, he is stated as being the least evil of the evil gods.)

Edit: I wish Kael would fix all the oddities I point in under 3 minutes after posting them. Grigori Medics can still cast all High Priest spells (if they randomly get a religion)

Not to mention the fact that now of the four civs that use Law mana, two are evil (Calabim, Illians), one is neutral (Khazad) and only one is good-aligned (Bannor). I suspect Junil's a little annoyed about that :lol:

Top Bottom