1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Muliplayer in c2c - welcome

Discussion in 'Multiplayer and LP's' started by majaczek, Apr 22, 2013.

1. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

anybody wants to play c2c v29 with me as server over direct ip play?
    i would be very willing to play with anyone. I also may play via gameranger.

EDIT: game starts 10may 15:30PM GMT

2. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

I really thought there would be a multiplayer subforum, but it seems it isn't (yet)

Yeah I liked to play a multi game, my suggestion is to have the latest SVN as the version, instead of v29 (which had some rare CTDs that are fixed in SVN now) and as map we take GEM, being only allowed to pick american civs. That way the humans have to fight against each other for domination but also to cooperate as the AI civs on eurasia and africa will have more opportunity to trade techs and resources. Also with all humans starting in the Americas, we have relatively quick access to each other. A lot of early cultures are available for american civs, pushing the early part of the game.

I think in GEM america there are the Tupi, Incans, Aztecs, Apache, Iroquious and Sioux, we could have a random pick mechanism for all the players taking part?

Btw. I am living in europe, I suppose you are as well? Good for timing sessions.

3. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

What is direct ip mean? I have never ever done anything but play single player games ever, sorry. I guess i have to see what all the hipe is about>

4. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

direct ip means direct connection to host via tcp/ip (no servers/services in the middle) - it requires static external IP and open ports for the host, and for guest only pointing ip of the host.

I would prefer playing c2c_arhipelago with snaky continents, low sealevel, rocky. And until there come official v30 i suggest we play on v29, because with svn there may be problem if players have different revisions :p.

also I reserve songsten gampo as leader (Tibetian empire), we play with no negative traits, pure traits and developing leaders :)

who would join ME? I already setup my PC and router for beeing civ4 server (I would post IP via private message for those who agree to play with me)

5. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

sry, your proposed settings are not very interesting for me but maybe another game another time.

btw when all players synchronize their SVN prior to each of the sessions it should be no problem - or they continue the to use the SVN version from the start of the game, updating only occasionally.

6. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

Ok so what wrong with my settings? I may try SVN version if it matters :p

7. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

I'd love to join this time. That GEM with only Americas sounds nice.

8. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

Sorry for offtopic but what all that gem are about?

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

GEM = Giant Earth Map

10. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

I'd love to play another mp game! Especially with GEM and the SVN.
    Please count me in.

I also recommend figuring out better timing of when people can play. We could also figure out a group Let's play video stream (delayed of course to protect the ill positioned) with some free software that could get people excited!
    Do this right and it could be megaepic!

11. MagnusIlluminus

MagnusIlluminus Emperor

Direct IP also means that the game is live. That is, everyone has to be online at the same time for the game to run.

On the other hand, if you are going to have your computer on and online all day every day you could make a PitBoss game. This would allow people to log on when they are able to and not all have to be online at the same time, which can get very tricky with several players.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Any live connection multi-player options will OOS too frequently to be viable at the moment. Sorry guys. It's something we know we need to work on but its also the most complex thing possible TO work on. I know there's one OOS problem I need to fix of my own but its only one of a huge number of them.

13. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

@Thunderbird
    Save frequently is not enough?
    also if it is such a problem I may play without simultaneus turns

14. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

Sorry if I may have sounded arrogantly in my previous post, I should have explained, of course.
    Guess I wasn't in the mood for it yesterday;
    I was responding to your thread in the first place because I was thinking about starting a multiplayer thread myself as well prior to your post so I kind of overtook the thread, I guess, again sorry for that (a multiplayer subforum, dear moderators, please!)

Now some explanations why I think the settings you proposed were not ideal for our purpose but those what I suggested might be:

Basically, playing on the Americas on GEM map (I guess you didn't play it yet - sorry for not explaining its meaning) has those advantages you proposed by your settings:
    America, north to south is a snaky continent somehow, with a bottleneck in the middle. It has rocky sides (Andes, Rocky Mountains, but also large jungles and forests, as wella s plains, grasslands and even deserts+tundra.

So if lets say 6 human players would start a map only in the Americas, they would have all range of terrain, they would be able to connect on foot as well as on sea (sail around or try to march through Panama), offerening the advantage to use different strategies regarding expansion, specialization and warfare. Yet all under one roof so the game is interactive from the beginning not only once you can cross the sea or even oceans, like for example in archipelago.

The GEM map has very balanced starting locations and thus offers a lot of starting resources for each player, pushing the early start (+ lots of early cultures). The only disadvantage is that some player may know the map better but then again, if a new player to GEM map wants to know where the resources are placed he just has to open up worldbuilder in a test game and see himself.

I really would like to try a game with the map, it seems like it could be a lot be fun, we'd need to have 6 players and if players leave we still could continue an interactive game as we are all in the Americas and not scattered all over a randomly generated map.

I like developing leaders and no starting traits much better (negative traits are picked along the road and that's fun too^^) but I'd say for minor gameoptions we vote (and of course reason about why and what).

To start a multiplayer game I think there must be a lot of effort being done for preperation - setup, of the game itself, what version etc. I myself don't download the normal versions anymore but I see always having to use the newest SVN might be a bit of a problem here. What about a more or less stable multiplayer SVN that is different from the single player SVN?

And about the pitboss game type how is it different from the turn by turn multiplayer games that are in progress right now?

15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

My wife and I get OOS errors on opening the game most rounds. And someone I was working with earlier confirmed that no simultaneous turns does not help. :( Sorry. You CAN get away with reloading EVERY round as a round of OOS is not too harmful. But that's what it would mean. Restarting the game every round.

16. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

hmm I managed to get a startplay (first few rounds) between my PC and laptop without OOS on v29, so i believe if we only synchronize our settings - that wouldn't be a problem.

okay - we may play on "GEM with no preset" if you wish, but I prefer not to limit to american cultures. I think I'll play witout pitboss.

about traits - choosing leader with "no positive traits" is not fun, so I rather won't get it in. on the other side developing leaders sounds funny. I wish pure traits because Religious without it is a nightmare for my playstyle (I collect religions). and there is a problem because negative traits with pure traits seems no longer fun (but not breaker either) so I wish them out.

I think for the minor options the server should choose, but discussion is welcome. Should I upload my options? also I wish archer bombard in, and assasinate GP out :p

EDIT: just downloaded latest SVN so if you vote on SVN play I will agree :p.
    EDIT2: of course unlimited wonders are in
    EDIT3: I'm in GMT+1 so please be ready to play when i not sleep if it is possible :p

17. Gall Anonim

Gall Anonim Chieftain

And maybe you want to play some PBEM, Majaczek?

Your nick suggests you're Polish, so there will be no problem with communication :)

If so, just let me know in priv.

18. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

GEM is HUGE (gigantic to be correct), so starting with no preset would shuffle the little human players that are in all over the world. I really stress the point that we should all be more or less close from the beginning (tupi -to incas is not very close for example) so if people leave the rest of people in the game still interconnects, not only when all are able to cross the oceans in a far future. The "precolumbian civs GEM" start guarantees that.

It's absolutely fun and to be honest I can't imagine any other way to play anymore-- you start with no traits and have to pick all you want along the way, as all traits are being mixed with (a bit) bad and good stuff, even negative traits you have to chose in between are fun.

I don't see why not using pure traits would mess up a religiously oriented playstyle but then again I am more the GDP/trade guy only lately shifting focus on culture due to developing leaders.

I can understand that with pure traits, negative traits are no fun anymore. But as I said above, if not chosing pure traits, negative traits are fun.

Yeah upload a list of the options so everyone taking part can then copypaste his modiefied favorite option sheet and we can see where the majority stands. Regarding the server idea, I wonder if it is stable with like 6 players in if it isn't even stable with 2?

I can agree to that (although personally I liked to threaten opponents GPs, so that the opponents would have to hide them out maybe even on a boat, never feeling save on land^^ - but one ought to be open for compromises right?
    Regarding archer bombard, it might favour camping and also be good for some bugs but we could try it)

nice!

sure, no objection

yeah I am living in central europe as well - but maybe a turn by turn play might still be necessary we have to figure out who want to join first, I guess - after all playing GEM with less than 6 is no fun IMHO (considering that 1 or 2 might leave at one point or the other - the Americas would be still very large then for the rest)

19. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

I would like to join too, if I can =). I'm GMT+1 living in Italy, so it won't be a problem playing for me (well, sometimes)

never tried multiplayer in Civ4, so I don't know how it exactly works

for the options, we can discuss and vote; in my opinion, GEM is too big because there will probably be few player, and it's not funny to play for hundreds of turns if you don't meet anyone

20. majaczek

majaczek Warlord

okay so turn by turn, SVN latest, i need to post my options.
    ok so please name your modfolder "Caveman2Cosmos SVN" (I wish have both stable and SVN on same civ4 install), is it possible for al of you?

for sending options, I just send my UserSettings directory and modified Civ4GameOptionsInfo.xml ?
    I will do!