1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi Player bugs and crashes - After the 18th of August 2014

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Please report all multi-player bugs and crashes from the 18th of August 2014 (release v35 = SVN Revision ????)

When posting a an OOS, a bug or a crash please include
    The version of C2C you are using;

The logs from all computers (especially the OoS log in the BtS exe folder and the random log in the normal Civ Logs folder).

Important changes that you need to make for multiplayer games

In Assets\XML\A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml, the following tags should be adjusted to show as:
    Code:
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>USE_MULTIPLE_THREADS_SPAWNING</DefineName>
    		<bDefineBoolVal>0</bDefineBoolVal>
    	</Define>
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>USE_MULTIPLE_THREADS_PROPERTY_SOLVER</DefineName>
    		<bDefineBoolVal>0</bDefineBoolVal>
    	</Define>
    and
    Code:
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>NUM_CITY_PIPELINE_THREADS</DefineName>
    		<iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
    	</Define>

To run an MP game without many OOS errors. Multithreading causes problems for MP play. However, Alberts2 was saying a while back he was doing something to get the game to automatically switch multi-threading off in an MP environment - some of these may be safe to leave at default. But I recently discovered that the property solver one is still an issue if its on.

I've also solved a combat based OOS and will be committing that solution shortly.

I've found one that has to do with what I think is an event that awards somewhere around 2k gold potentially. Something about how the event played out caused an OOS but its very rare.

The matter discussed above about the wonder building has to do with trying to build the same wonder as your team mate so if you communicate what wonders are being built you can avoid that problem.

The naming issue is in all OOS reports and appears to be a safe local difference on both systems.​

2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Thanks Toffer... I know I've been a bit lax here recently. I do intend to work more on OOS errors at the end of this cycle.

4. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Great news, and don't be modest, you've done more than most (excluding AIAndy).

If you could fix this one path-finding OOS that keeps turning up, I would be very happy indeed. I believe that, at least the 5 latest reports I've posted, have the exact same root cause.

We have now reached the unplayable stage in the medieval age (OOS every second turn) and won't post more until this particular OOS is fixed.

Edit: Does anyone know if it's plausible to speed up or circumvent the game data transfer process? It's ridiculous that a 5 MB save file should take 2-5 minutes to transfer.
    I think it sends incredibly small chunks of data and asks if the package transfer was successful; when it's been affirmed another is sent.

5. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

It's not possible. The code that initializes a MP game and handles that is in the EXE.

6. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

@Afforess

I suspected as much; thanks for the quick answer.

7. choum

choum Chieftain

Hello and thanks for your great job ;)

I play with 2 friends (so 3 in total) with C2C v35. (direct IP through tungle VPN) (i use the game multiplayer and not pitboss)
    We had time to time OOS, but restart the game and reload lastsave solved it.
    Now we are turn 1306 and we have OOS all the time even when we do nothing.
    For exemple i reaload the last savegame, players do no action, just wating and after few minutes OOS.
    The strange point is that players have same synch number and server one is different.(in previous OOS all was differents, or one player and server had the same)
    After 4 retry/reload we was able to pass 1 or 2 turns before got OOS again.
    I activated logs but i see nothing usefull inside, not sure that they log correctly...

Any idea to solve this?

8. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Chieftain

Something about multiple thread use needing to be deactivated, but how to go about doing that I would not know.

Cheers

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

If BlueGenie is correct then the only place I know of that has multiple thread options you can change is in Assets/XML/A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.XML
    Code:
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>USE_MULTIPLE_THREADS_SPAWNING</DefineName>
    		<bDefineBoolVal>1</bDefineBoolVal>
    	</Define>
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>USE_MULTIPLE_THREADS_PROPERTY_SOLVER</DefineName>
    		<bDefineBoolVal>1</bDefineBoolVal>
    	</Define>

Make sure the 1's are 0's for these two options on all computers.

10. choum

choum Chieftain

wow
    i changed it in the civilization.ini but never thought about modify the XML.
    I'll try and let you know ;)

EDIT: not better OOS, after 2 turns :(( (i tryed only with 2 players and it's not better)

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

As I understand it, there comes a point when this starts taking place a lot and all that can be done is for me to put that into full focus for a while again and start hunting them down and eliminating them. OOS errors are really the most complex bug resolution projects one can endure. My wife and I like to play together in multiplayer though so you do have hope that eventually I'll get those issues resolved. There's a reporting process that can help but in my experience I'd need to just hit the OOS ourselves in a test game played with the intention to resolve them. There's some other projects I'm working on at the moment so it'll be a little bit still before I get back into OOS cleaning tasks. As a side- note, I'd thought 35 was somewhat stable there but apparently not... Perhaps if we don't try to press for 36's release too quickly I can try to address some OOS issues before we release.

12. choum

choum Chieftain

Hi Thunderbrd,

Thanks for the answer, tell me if i can help for this :)

13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

The Biodome code now uses a random number to decide which tamed animal to generate. Could this cause OOS problems?

I was looking at the Crusader code. Originally it would create crusader units randomly in your cities but now it creates one only in your city with the wonder in a predetermined way. Could that have been done so as to get rid of potential OOS?

14. alberts2

alberts2 Chieftain

You could also try to set this to 1 in the Assets/XML/A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.XML.
    Code:
    	<Define>
    		<DefineName>NUM_CITY_PIPELINE_THREADS</DefineName>
    		<iDefineIntVal>4</iDefineIntVal>
    	</Define>
    I think it is possible that the ID's of produced units aren't deterministic if this is higher as 1.

15. Aevum

Aevum Chieftain

Hey guys, been a while.
    Started playing again with friends, got a oos for you, I always go thru winmerge to check it out, it was Workers ofc.

C2Cv35

Player 0, Unit ID: 344084, Worker 3 (Atapuerca)
    X: 89, Y: 11

Player 0, Unit ID: 344084, Worker
    X: 77, Y: 18

Attached Files:

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

17. Aevum

Aevum Chieftain

Np thunder, I'll keep track of them and whats triggering it in our games. We had no problems the first 210 turns, but once workers came out, bam bam bam.

18. Aevum

Aevum Chieftain

New OOS
    This one was a lot more extensive, it misplaced the location of a viper, confused a stone maceman with a log ram, and a couple other weird issues... harder to explain then just a wrong worker.

Attached Files:

19. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

I presume you playing in v35 version yes? Many of these errors was fixed from v35. Maybe try SVN version?

20. Aevum

Aevum Chieftain

I would extremely amazed if the OOS errors were fixed in the SVN. There's Always there. In the past the modular aspect has caused me great difficulty playing mulit as sporadically as we do. Come back after 3 weeks and something been changed that really messes things up. For single yeah I SVN.