1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Multi Player bugs and crashes - After the 24th of December 2016

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Please report all multi-player bugs and crashes from the 24th of December 201 (release v37 = SVN Revision 9402)

When posting a an OOS, a bug or a crash please include
    The version of C2C you are using;

The logs from all computers (especially the OoS log in the BtS exe folder and the random log in the normal Civ Logs folder).

Important changes that you need to make for multiplayer games

In Assets\XML\A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml, the following tags should be adjusted to show as:
    Code:
        <Define>
            <DefineName>USE_MULTIPLE_THREADS_SPAWNING</DefineName>
            <bDefineBoolVal>0</bDefineBoolVal>
        </Define>
        <Define>
            <DefineName>USE_MULTIPLE_THREADS_PROPERTY_SOLVER</DefineName>
            <bDefineBoolVal>0</bDefineBoolVal>
        </Define>
    and
    Code:
        <Define>
            <DefineName>NUM_CITY_PIPELINE_THREADS</DefineName>
            <iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
        </Define>

To run an MP game without many OOS errors. Multithreading causes problems for MP play. However, Alberts2 was saying a while back he was doing something to get the game to automatically switch multi-threading off in an MP environment - some of these may be safe to leave at default. But I recently discovered that the property solver one is still an issue if its on.

I've also solved a combat based OOS and will be committing that solution shortly.

I've found one that has to do with what I think is an event that awards somewhere around 2k gold potentially. Something about how the event played out caused an OOS but its very rare.

The matter discussed above about the wonder building has to do with trying to build the same wonder as your team mate so if you communicate what wonders are being built you can avoid that problem.

The naming issue is in all OOS reports and appears to be a safe local difference on both systems.​

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  2. eXfinosis

eXfinosis Chieftain

I had this issue with hotseat with v36 and SVN before but I seem to be stuck on it even with v37. I get the following error on startup of hotseat, but am able to play single player with no issues.

Assert Failed

File: CvGlobals.cpp
    Line: 5481
    SVN-Rev: 9396
    Expression: stricmp(szType, "NONE")==0 || strcmp(szType, "")==0
    Message: info type 'ART_DEF_UNIT_TAMED_ELEPHANT' not found, Current XML file is: xml\Units\zAnimals_Tamed_CIV4UnitInfos.xml

----------------------------------------------------------
    then
    Assert Failed

File: CvArtFileMgr.cpp
    Line: 100
    Expression: false
    Message: ArtInfo: 'ART_DEF_UNIT_TAMED_ELEPHANT' was not found

then
    Assert Failed

File: CvArtFileMgr.cpp
    Line: 100
    Expression: false

With the exact same install and v37 however I was able to get it to work on another computer (original Radeon HD5800, working intel 5500). Even after a fresh Win10 and new Civ4/c2c v37 install, I get the exact same issue on this computer. Not sure where I should look to start troubleshooting what might be causing this.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

4. Soulinor

Soulinor Chieftain

Accountability:

Unfortunately while testing multiplayer mode with my friend Frost_Kill we came to the conclusion that conventional way really do not work on C2C. We tried the Evolve gamming platform and the fake game spy and unfortunately as we enter the same lobby it was not possible to see the created game of the colleague, as Civ4 does not offer the option to call room, we can not enter the same game. I do not know if there is any lock on the mod forcing to be single player, I'm just telling the experience flawed.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

There is no known way, aside from IP connection, to play C2C in a non-local live connection. You CAN use play by email for non-local connections, which we do on three (and one paused) running games on the forum here.

Spirictum was looking at a way for this to take place I think...

6. Soulinor

Soulinor Chieftain

We found it very strange not to have worked for evolve, mainly because when we followed his tip and tried direct ip connection we were able to start the game (it was with a desync message, but nothing more) unfortunately it was late and we did not test beyond that but we will do it as soon as possible.

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

If that allows you the ability to run as if through the direct IP, then you should be good to go. I advise against Rev and taking moves with units that are farther than what they can reach in one round and don't ever set a city to build a wonder the other player is already building (if playing teams). That should deny MOST OOS errors but some still lurk unfortunately. When those happen, save and leave the game with haste and go entirely back to desktop, then both reload the mod and reenter the game and it should be a bit before you have another. Hopefully that helps.

8. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

Unsure if this is already fix, also unsure which svn version we're playing in the Conservative MP Game, maybe another player knows by heart? Of course this is nothing serious, but I thought it was a good idea to point out.

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I've not noticed any problems with Hats. In either Con or Prog Mps.

The Conservative and Progressive MP games are using svn 9445.

So if there is a font problem it has to be on your end Spirictum as you are the only Non native english speaking language player.

10. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There is a font problem in the City screen with resources. The icon is not showing and the text is bold. This was the problem everywhere when we went over the fixed limit on the number of resources in game. The resource area of the city screen is the only place where the problem persists.

Attached Files:

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'm curious if these are surfacing differently on different computers for some reason. Are we reliably having issues with particular resource icons? I suppose we should look into this to isolate which ones are having trouble but if it gets weird I'm not sure of what we can do about that.

I often feel we should reuse these icons as often as we can to reduce the amount of them in use. Button images are unlimited but icons really aren't so we should be leaving space for other developments wherever possible. Resources, particularly manufactured ones, should not have to all have their own.

12. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I always get it on barrels and woodwind instruments but don't really notice anymore. There is still plenty of room in the Gamefonts file for more.

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I misunderstood Spirictum's post. I thought he was referring to the main game screen and not the city screen resource list. I don't use that screen much anymore, as the build of a building that would give a resource, the hover over tells you how many you have or will have. I find the resource list in the city screen to be redundant for me.

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I thought you might have that is why I posted a picture to clear things up.
    I do use it but it but not often. I think the Properties tab should be the default rather than the Resources tab.

15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

When my current new game gets up to your timeframe I'll check to see if Woodwind Instruments looks like yours.

16. Spirictum

Spirictum Immortal

In the conservative it's happening with the hats, the tablets, and the saddles. Shoes and Sails work fine

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I can confirm this and add there are more. My short and incomplete list scribbled down hurriedly now includes; Hats, nets, saddles ,scupltures, Tablets, Tar, and woodwinds. There are more.

18. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

v38.1 is now patched and ready for downloading . .