Multi-team demogame idea

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
In the secret hidden multi-site forum we have been discussing having a multi-team demogame within CFC, a PBEM with multiple human players and teams playing instead of individuals. This would be two or more local CFC teams, each with its own private subforum if we feel we need it, or on their honor not to look at each other's private spoiler thread.

It is now time to take that idea public and see how much more interest we can get. :D

Advantages to this game are many
  • Neophytes can learn human v. human tactics
  • A chance to practice multi-team in preparation for the next multi-site DG
  • A PBEM with teams doesn't face the specter of dropouts killing the game, as long as a whole team doesn't drop
  • Each team can organize itself how it wants
  • I hope we'll do this to have fun, but it can also be a competition

Please register your interest here, and favor us with your comments on what you'd like to see in the game.

I would like to see a custom map to make sure all starts are reasonably equivalent.

I would like to see AI civs on the map.

I think it is a great idea, and I would play, or if you prefer, provide a map.

If we do this, then I don't want any AI. Human vs. human vs. human vs. human (depending on how many teams) would be a lot more fun, challenging, and less annoying.

I would definetly do this!
I think 2 teams would be enough, not shur on AIs right now...

This is basically a combo of DG6 and the ISDG, I love this idea!!!

I helped run something like this about a year and a half back on CDG.

Trust me, alot more work and effort than it's worth. It was hard, and that was with Elucidus granting us 3 public forums and 4 private forums (a private forums for each of the teams).

Strider said:
I helped run something like this about a year and a half back on CDG.

Trust me, alot more work and effort than it's worth. It was hard, and that was with Elucidus granting us 3 public forums and 4 private forums (a private forums for each of the teams).

I would be interested in hearing more about your experiences, maybe in a separate thread would be best.

Would you be interested in being a player? Your post isn't clear on that...

My thoughts are the multi-team part of it would have very few rules, just the anti-exploit rules which are commonly used. Each team would be free to organize itself however the players want. If a "professional admin" volunteered so much the better.

Not that I'm interested, ISDG has been enough for me for the time being. Playing these 50 turns really got my guts crooked.

But a game with 2 human players without AI is a very specific kind of game. I would even say extremely specific. Adding a third or fourth player might slow the things down but would yield a more reasonable game. It is really completely different. For example, there is no need for diplomacy, players can even start in a locked war if there are only two of them. Whereas with more human players, there is a choice of alliances/wars or just trading options. Certainly, with AIs, it is even more different from a typical ISDG setting.

And if it is a purely multihuman game without AI, it better be played with UN rules. When AI is included rules can be negotiated but many players would prefer Aggie's ruleset. (see: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=99517) It is a long thread but most of the info is essential.

It also seems a rather peculiar variant which has been recently tried by CFC-CIVRU in a match where each team has 3 civs to handle: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=114548

It is not a demogame style but there can be great discussions and complete interchangeability of all players to make sure the game is not dead.

I'm interested in playing and would like to see at least 3 human teams and up to 3 AIs and maybe on a small map to get to the juicy bits quicker.

I only own PTW, so I will be limited in what roles I can play if C3C is chosen.

I am also strongly in favor of all threads in a public forum so that lurkers can participate. Honor system will be used to prevent spoiler info from crossing teams. Note that the honor system must be used anyways or spoiler info can be gathered from some tools.

Then again, if Mad-Bax makes a map for us he can include the secret method used by the GOTM people to turn off spoiler info in some of the utilities.

mad-bax said:
I would like to see a custom map to make sure all starts are reasonably equivalent.

I would like to see AI civs on the map.

I think it is a great idea, and I would play, or if you prefer, provide a map.
That would have been great for the ISDG, had that happened. :rolleyes:

I don't know if I'd want to play, but there needs to be a way (not closed thread?) so I can lurk :D .

I would like to see it get started. Here are some things for discussion:

• How many teams?
  • How are teams decided?
  • Private forums, or spoiler thread rules?
  • Map generation
  • AIs?
  • Rules

I would like to see more, smaller teams vs. fewer larger teams, as long as each team has at least 3 players. More teams = more diplomacy to practice. If we have an experienced PBEM player on each team it is a bonus.

The private forum question is hard to answer until we know how many would be needed.

We need a map which is relatively balanced. AI's, if present, need to be balanced with players (2+2, 3+3, 4+4 only) and selected carefully. I agree with the previous comments on rules.

Nobody said:
or invite that bamspeedy who done the beyond sid game, and we can just play against him
it is very different playing against humans than AIs, humans use armies, AIs dont, AIs are artifical and have no feelings, humans do, etc...

doesnt look like many people are excited about this, civ4 is only 5 monthes away, looks like we might be waiting till then

I would like to join into this MTDG if it ever gets started. This would be a good oportunity to sharpen up our team skills for the next MSDG. I hope I did not signed up too late since I realy want to see this rolling :).

With the forum setup, while there was activity in the ISDG forum it hides the updates in this forum. I think I'll start a new signup thread, and if we get roughly 10 or more people then we'll have enough to try a 2 team experiment. The more the merrier of course. :D

DaveShack said:
With the forum setup, while there was activity in the ISDG forum it hides the updates in this forum. I think I'll start a new signup thread, and if we get roughly 10 or more people then we'll have enough to try a 2 team experiment. The more the merrier of course. :D
Well, you can ask Chieftess if she can place an adnouncement to bring in some more people to signn up :).

Top Bottom