'Multiplay Now' forum

Pongui

Deity
The PBEM/Multiplayer split is great. I really appreciate being able to read a post list that contains just the posts I'm interested in.

But why end the revolution now? I have a vision - a multiplayer utopia: A special forum that displays something like the 'current active users' (names) list, but only displays users who are browsing that particular (multiplay now) forum. Entering the forum would automatically put a member on a 'now available' list, exiting would clear a member from the list. So this forum would be strictly for real-time game set up, and I think it would serve the multiplaying community better that ICQ, AIM, Zone, etc.

Is it possible? Heck, nevermind if it's possible - anyone who likes this idea chime in now.

Can't that already basically be done?

The forum shows who's browsing the board at the time you are in there, so all you need to do is PM the person and see if they are avail at that time. Or, maybe make a thread that people can post in that states they are avail for a game right then and there.

It's more of a manual function for players, but you have to contact each other anyway to get the connection info and such.

Not only ICQ, but Trillian (plug, www.trillian.cc) which allows you to contact MSN, ICQ, AIM, and Yahoo!.
Plus Sean Lindstrom, if you sit in the MP forum then you will be seen and ppl can PM then...not need for a seperate forum for that.
Also, you could always open a thread, AFAIK, saying starting game at such and such time in this Time Zone.

I only see the current active members list on the main forum page. Few of those members are Civ2 multiplayers, so alot of PMs into that list would annoy more than recruit.

Not quite utopia here, but paradise will surely be mine if enough Civers convert to ICQ (and Trillian is THE prophet of ICQ).

A 'Multiplay Now' is a little too much. :) Forum is not the best way to find players to play immediately. ICQ and other instant messengers are better...

Top Bottom