Multiplayer behavior!

Jecrell

Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5
I was thinking to myself, how in the world are we going to deal with the B.Netites (no offense) jumping at each other's throats in the chaos that is online play? Imagine the hostility, racism, and full-on contact/back-stabbing that is online politics...

What can we do to prevent it, alter it, or avoid it? Are we doomed to people saying "zOMG n00b!1" and banning us from their servers night and day? Must we hope for sympathy if we're getting ganged up upon in a multiplayer game because we chose a certain religion?

... I think this is what to be afraid of if anything ladies and gentlemen. The internet has no law! :O

Well, just as the theory that RP servers are generally (generally..) more mature than normal servers in MMOs, I think you could sort apply it to here;

Your average B.Net kiddy hopped up on coke running around yelling "omgz time too pWNz Zum N00bs!!11one" most likely has no interest in a game like Civ IV.

Of course there will be obvious exceptions. But I'd say 70% of the community will be mature by default.

King Jason said:
Well, just as the theory that RP servers are generally (generally..) more mature than normal servers in MMOs, I think you could sort apply it to here;

Your average B.Net kiddy hopped up on coke running around yelling "omgz time too pWNz Zum N00bs!!11one" most likely has no interest in a game like Civ IV.

Of course there will be obvious exceptions. But I'd say 70% of the community will be mature by default.

Thats true noone is going to spend $50 just to start problems on the internet with other people. Plus its only a game. No mature persion is going to get that angry over a game

Play one-on-one and build nukes :nuke: . It’s worked for me all this time. :lol:

bky1701 said:
Play one-on-one and build nukes :nuke: . It’s worked for me all this time. :lol:

exactly make peace kiss up to them and when you got nukes bam drop em every where!!!!!!!!!!

he might have nukes too but you might destroy them you might go down but you'll go down with honour also a bad diplomacy rating and a half destroyed earth and honour!

I don't know if you have ever played a Civ3 multiplayer, but a lot of the community are all IMmature. They will quit if they get a bad starting location, or if somebody is beating them up. I think it's the opposite, 30% of the online community being mature. Hopefully though, with teamplay, people won't be so eager to quit.

UnitQ said:
Thats true noone is going to spend $50 just to start problems on the internet with other people. Plus its only a game. No mature persion is going to get that angry over a game
I think at least some people will get very angry; at least in some board games I've played some people almost exploded with anger, especially when there was a pact that someone is breaking for some backstabbing action :lol:

I remember back when me and a friend played CivNet back in the good old days. Needless to say, we weren't very old, maybe 14 or so. My friend had gotten into some sort of local kiddy trend where it was cool to hate and severely disrespect all communists and be a very loud, radical pro-capitalist.

So the first thing I would do was build the pyramids, allowing me to choose any government I wanted. Naturally, I chose communism, just to piss him off. Later on in the game we ran into each other for the first time and agreed to meet. Imagine the shock he received when he saw me and my comrades (advisors) with fur hats. Now this guy had a rather hard time separating the game from reality. He's the kind of guy who refused to nuke people in the game because he thought it was "wrong" and "madness" to do so. So he was seriously insulted.

"YeR a COMmMYyYY!!!!!!!1!!1" he shouted. "u MuST ChaingE GoVMT!!"

I refused.

"PUlUUEEEZE CHEINGEEE!!!! u canT beE COmMUYY!!!"

But I stood up for my political beliefs. So he declared war on me immediately. I can't remember who ended up winning, but it was probably me. Later that day he yelled at me in person.

So that gives you an idea of what multiplayer Civ IV may be like.

Folks, there will be mature players and immature players.
But immature players who wreck games are found out soon, and others will not play with them.

So until we see how the multi-player games work, don't sweat it.

There will be a buddy list -- over time you will have plenty good peeps to choose from.

...and I'm sure immature players will be noted in the forums...

Rgr that- I-bat and Johnny Ts,
I am looking forward to finding out that there will be alot of players who get to know each other for some good online games and the ones that don't play for the fun and challenge will be weeded out.
Perhaps a liberal use of the 'private' msg ability in this forum will help keep things in order, and a friends list.

The simple solution is to find players you trust to give a good game (not to be confused with players you trust).

UnitQ said:
Don't go in a game without a friend :}

Or get good at dising people.
:goodjob: :king: King of Counter-trash-talk :D

I hope the behavior will be good but im sure there will be some kids going around ruining games and being asses.

hopefully there will be a statistic on your account that shows how many times you quit within the first 50 turns or something like that.

knupp715 said:
I don't know if you have ever played a Civ3 multiplayer, but a lot of the community are all IMmature. They will quit if they get a bad starting location, or if somebody is beating them up. I think it's the opposite, 30% of the online community being mature. Hopefully though, with teamplay, people won't be so eager to quit.

No actually I haven't but basing my assumption off of the community here, and assuming people will come here when looking for games/people to play online, then there's a fairly decent chance you won't run into too many lamos, since the majority of people I've noticed that frequent these boards (Mainly the people that don't come around during peek times, such as this, when Civ4 will soon be released, yes I fall into this category too, but I've been a long time 'lurker') are very level headed mature individuals, I'd say so long as you know where to look, it won't be hard getting a nice game going.

I'm pretty optimistic about the playing online, sure there will be jerks in some games but they will soon be flagged as such. And like was mentioned before I believe all the stats from Multiplayers games are going to be tracked, and I hope that they will list how many times a player quits early.

Also I believe there will be a Multiplayer forum on this site for people to match up, and people already have reputations on this forum so it should make it easier to judge what type of player he/she is.

UnitQ said:

I think you don't understand the lvls of immaturity that can be reached on multiplayer games - try one of the mmorgs for an education. Like WOW where there are 60th lvl charcters who are used to kill the fun for those just joining and being below lvl 40 or any lvl that even remotely has a chance to win vs them. I will play my best and be civil about it and try to build a buddy list and hope I am added to some buddy lists myself.

Just arrange games w/ people you meet on, say, Apolyton or CFC. When you play with completely random folks, you have to, unfortunately, expect that sub-human cretins are going to show up from time to time.

Top Bottom