1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer leader balance feedback

Discussion in 'Leader Balance' started by Voker57, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Voker57

Voker57 Chieftain

Why, you can also fight neighbors/CS. Authority gives a hefty production bonus and is often taken.

2. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Its so much worse at generating early culture than it is in a game with barbarians. Isn't it obvious its either underpowered without barbarians, or overpowered with?

Barbarians change the early game drastically. With them turned off, the need for pre-turn 50 military units is drastically reduced, which means that you can spam settlers more easily more quickly. The civs this would affect the most are the ones you have listed as problematic, such China gets her culture earlier or Ethiopia and his Steele.

I get that barbarians have issues with multiplayer so the choice to go without isn't a gameplay choice, its a necessity, but I really think this thread is "No barbarian leader balance feedback"

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Voker57 likes this.
  3. doublex55

doublex55 Chieftain

Could Authority potentially get a substitute bonus for the dmg to barbarians when barbarians are turned off?

vyyt likes this.
  4. Voker57

Voker57 Chieftain

Well, the barbarians cause resyncfest in version of mod that even works properly with multiplayer, so I'd argue that no-barbarians is default in VP multiplayer ;)

But yeah, you're right, barbarians would probably nerf the expanders.

5. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

Yeah I get that the barbarians isn't something you can change.

I would look at just banning a couple more civs, if that works. An idea people have put forward in the past is to have authority's opening policy changed if there are no barbarians. Instead of culture from barbarian camps, it just gets 1 culture per city. Overall its still fairly weak, but it is a lot better than just getting 0 culture.

PS- how is tradition going in these games? I did do multiplayer like 2 years ago. Things were very different (of course), but among our group tradition was coming out on top pretty regularly. We ended up banning certain wonders and religious policies to address it.

6. azum4roll

azum4roll Chieftain

I have normal barbarians in all my MP games, and the resyncs aren't that horrible.

7. Voker57

Voker57 Chieftain

In 5-20.3 it was weak, but now we upgraded to 9.15 and it got a few buffs, one player is trying it out, looks decent.

Which version, latest one?

8. azum4roll

azum4roll Chieftain

Any version after November.

9. Cat-du-fromage

Cat-du-fromage Chieftain

for thoses who are playing with the current beta version of VP, Do you have also lot of desync?

Where with the version Post Beta (february 14th -3) we had max 5 desync during all the game. now it is almost every turn.

PS: I know that as a beta, the performance for multiplayer will probably come later. It is just to be sur, the problem is not from something else

10. Voker57

Voker57 Chieftain

Playing beta 3.28, barbarians on, got one resync so far in ~100 turns. Didn't get to full scale wars yet tho.

11. Cat-du-fromage

Cat-du-fromage Chieftain

Do you use additionnal mods? like 3rd 4th unique component

12. Voker57

Voker57 Chieftain

No, VP only

13. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Warlord

How many players? (in other words, is the bug preventing to play with more than 2 humans gone, or should we wait this summer for when Gazebo will have more means to debug MP)

14. Voker57

Voker57 Chieftain

4 players, bug is fixed in "shiny" branch by @ilteroi, modpack with compiled dll is available in modpack thread.

Moi Magnus likes this.
  15. Voker57

Voker57 Chieftain

Played with barbarians after long break today, and good news, they work, bad news, they are not really significant to any balance.

thunderbird_14, Gazebo and Moi Magnus like this.