[Multiplayer] Let's Vox Populi - 8p FFA|Hotseat|Hotseat no good?

Moi Magnus described a pitboss server. I have no experience with that. The difficulty of an internet option is two-fold. One, it may necessitate the use of a VP modpack. Two, Civ V multiplayer stability is still donkey balls - VP can't fix this. The virtue of Hotseat is it is played offline.

I will continue to poll for interest in a PBEM. Others can construct a game with their own desired parameters.
Yes sure, i was just curious about how does it work cause i never tried it.

By the way anyone tried multiplayer with 4+ humas after the stability fix that was discussed here several months ago?

I count three.

Won't more people want to test their mettle in the community-built expansion pack in a glorious free for all epic?

I'd enjoy participating in something like this.

However, I have to ask - how would diplomacy and trading and the like be resolved? It's easy enough to play a normal turn by yourself because you just move your stuff, manage your cities, and if you attack something, the attacked player doesn't need to do anything for all that to take place. But diplomacy requires both to be online at once - and I don't see how a game like this would be played unless at least some players some of the time are only managing one turn per day. How would this work?

I've updated the reserved post with answers to the questions about Play-By-Email I've fielded so far.

I'm interested in giving this a go, add me to the list.
What version of VP are we going to use? Are we going to wait for the next full release?

I feel like VP is going to have a full release soon-ish, so we could wait for that. I just want one that has few unknown bugs and low chance of technical scrap.

It finally happened, folks! November 21 version is out, with bugfixes for city defense strangeness from last beta.

There were plenty of questions when this thread was started, so please ask away. Then it's off to the arena!

I'm guessing the next patch should bring back flanking values closer to normal. Would be ideal to have that fixed for MP .

I'm guessing the next patch should bring back flanking values closer to normal. Would be ideal to have that fixed for MP .

Waiting on a next version can get risky, because of deployment. We need a simple install procedure that everyone will perform the same way, after all. Flanking right now isn't one of the bugs with November 21 version; upgrade prices on military are higher than intended but still playable.

too late to join?
No, no.

I am very excited to get the game started but there are many questions to resolve such as whether we will play in a PTBS or play-by-email using a service like GMR or Play-your-damn-turn!. The first post reserved some names of the respondents from July, but I'll have to request to hear something from each of them to consider them still participating.

I am very excited to get the game started but there are many questions to resolve such as whether we will play in a PTBS or play-by-email using a service like GMR or Play-your-damn-turn!. The first post reserved some names of the respondents from July, but I'll have to request to hear something from each of them to consider them still participating.

Though I don't have much experience with it, GMR PBEM sounds preferable.. I think the AI-controlled skip turn might be useful (assuming this works as described). I generally only play MP as local hotseat due to desync with built-in net MP... I am wary of pitboss for this reason

I don't know what else I can say to give more structure to this undertaking. Five people have declared definite interest, three more conditional. I need more input from the conditional respondents to address their requirements.

If we get to eight, I'm making a room on GMR with the latest stable version of the VP, and the ruleset I've laid out in the preamble (Terra map, full VP, no houserule), since that hasn't produced any opposing dialogue. If it takes until VP Gold for eight contestants to enter the ring, then that's what we'll get, but I for one am famished of Human competition right now.

I want to begin a bold, large, immersive game of Civilization, with the systems designed by the community, to compete for the distinction of the greatest civilization to stand the test of time. Giant Multiplayer Robot will help me do it.....
Just found your thread. :thumbsup: For those who don't have an idea about PBEM, especially time range, here are some links.
Spoiler :
https://www.civforum.de/forumdisplay.php?431-Civ5-Mehrspieler-Storys&sort=lastpost&order=desc

Afaik, they usually don't have AI in their games. And all the games are BNW, so far.

PBEM [266] started in August 2017 and it is turn 212 now... There are at least two photojournals from players. In German, but I hope you will get an impression.

https://www.civforum.de/showthread....FCckten-Anf%E4nger-und-die-gro%DFe-weite-Welt
https://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?106535-266-The-end-of-all-diplomacy&p=8151624#post8151624
Wish you much fun and good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
So if I mosey over to GMR and make a private room right now, and send invite links to y'all in DMs, I'd get four joiners?

Are you still subscribed? Give me some information. What are the terms that will get eight of us going?

I would join but only if this starts no earlier than late January, in case you need another player. Don't wait for me if you have other people ready, though.

thread . . . bump?

Don't we like this mod? Wanna play it? The final patch of 2018 is seemingly bug-free, a good time to play a game.
Do I need to make it an online game to turn heads?

Other than some RNG quirks (it's possible to get 5-6 City States requesting you to discover the same civ on the same turn) there don't seem to be any major bugs in this version.

Top Bottom