Multiplayer out of sync issues

wintermutebr

Chieftain
Hello,

I've been trying to play FFH2 between a WinXP desktop and a Vista laptop, but I always get OOS problems with FFH2. I've searched the net, but couldn't find any advice. There's one thread that says the order in which the patches have been applied may be causing the problems, but I think it refers to the patches before the latest version (0.41??), which is the one I've installed on both computers. I could install everything again on both machines, but that would take tiiiiiiiime... :(

I've also tried cleaning the cache, lan, direct ip, etc, no deal. It always start the game with out of sync.

I did tried the save and reconnect, but if the XP machine was the one trying to re-connect, BsT crashed. If the Vista machine was trying to re-connect, it downloaded the game data and stayed there. If you hit esc it went straight to the desktop.

Any ideas what the problem might be? And/or if the re-install would do the trick?

(Or maybe I should try the FFH2 version for Vanilla Civ?)

Try using Hamachi then using the IP address from it for direct IP.

can't confirm this because it was reading up on OOS issues from long ago... that the latest BTS patch creates many of the problems. Im not sure if the FFH team fixed this or if others even knew what they were talking about. Using Hamachi and other programs hasn't helped. There seems to inevitably be OOS issues in every multiplayer game I have had since that patch. (you would think multiplayer would be fixed... more people would buy and play the game)

I found that if I don't regularly clear out all the none Fall from heaven 2 stuff in my
"my games folder" (note this is windows xp specific)
[C:\Documents and Settings\Acheron\My Documents\my games]
So I regularly go in and delete my BTS and Civ 4 vanilla folders before every multi player match.

For some reason Fall from heaven 2 will try to revert to saved BTS data and go OOS all the time. We had OOS pretty much every 2nd round in our multiplayer FFH2 games, but now that all of us lack the data folders we never have an issue with OOS. We have people lose their GUIs sometimes but thats unresolved and seems to fix if the guy reboots.

Its an old Civ 4 bug for some reason. I've never seen a patch fix this issue. As it seems to store data and pull data at random from the "my games" folder so leaving it only one option seems to make things more stable.

It worked!!! :D

Sorry didn't replied at first, spent the whole sunday playing FFH2. It's much much better than I thought! Excellent work!!

What I did to make OOS go away was to copy over the entire Civ folder from one computer to the other, carefully renaming the previous installation to something else. Vanilla BTS worked without any issues, only FFH2, so MAYBE if I copied only the /Mods/Fall from Heaven 2 folder it could have worked.

I know that the people who discovered this might not read it after 4 years, but I wondered if you could guide me through this fix. I tried just moving the BTS files and the Civ4 files onto my desktop (what I thought was effectively removing them), and did the same on my wife's computer (the only human I'm playing with). When I went back to reload our game, none of the FFH2 saved games were there.

Do we have to start a fresh game?

Top Bottom