1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple upt Mod Request

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Requests & Ideas' started by @Rob76, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. @Rob76

@Rob76 Chieftain

The 1upt design decision has always been controversial. There is a mod available that allows multiple units per tile. But the problem w/ it is that the AI can't use it. It continues to plod along at 1upt. So we only get a taste of the potential improvement. We need a game revision that frees the AI and gets it to play at some multiple: 2upt or perhaps 3upt. It would be nice to have a mod that allows n-upt, where n is set by the player, but I'm assuming (intuitively basis Murphy's Law) that that would be too ambitious. That's because I'm assuming that any mod dealing w/ this issue would also have to tinker w/ the AI's algorithm for tactical and strategic combat. Gosh, it sounds more daunting as I write this. So maybe this would need to be a two part project? Change the maneuver/stacking mechanics, then upgrade the AI's tactical/maneuver intelligence.

I really don't know whether any of this is feasible. But I would like to make the request, and perhaps get a discussion going on what it would take. I do believe that the potential for improving the game, improving its variety of game play options, thus expanding the player community, is substantial. I also hold the opinion that we will not get the civ6 AI quality of play to a level comparable to what modders have done for civ4 until we get the AI liberated from 1upt.

I have no programming skills that are up-to-date enough to matter, but would be glad to help w/ any grunt work that might have to be done.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

the tactical AI in civ5 could deal with n-upt (or more precisely did not check for more than 1UPT when planning its moves, the 1UPT part was handled by the movement rules themselves), so I suppose civ6 can too, there is just a kind of buggy check at the end of each AI turn that seems to teleport any military unit ending on top of another, even if a mod allow more than 1UPT (there was also some hardcoded stuff to enforce 1UPT in civ5, which means a DLL mod was mandatory to make a proper n-UPT mod)

my first version of CSO for civ6 allows melee and ranged units to stack for both humans and AI, but to do more we need a patch or DLL access.

and of course there is the whole UI to rethink.

Ferocitus likes this.
  3. @Rob76

@Rob76 Chieftain

Thanks for the response, but your discussion is way above my current level of understanding.

It sounds as though your CSO mod has succeeded in getting the AI to use your new stacking rules. Is that the case? If so, why was it successful? Didn't you have to overcome the issues you mention in your first paragraph?

You mention that a DLL mod would be necessary, at least for a generalized n-upt mod. I take it a DLL mod is different from a plain vanilla mod? Also, I don't think that a generalized n-upt mod is necessary, at least as a first effort. I think that a mod that allowed true 2upt play would be tremendously liberating tactically, and it would hopefully clear the way for improving the AI's competitiveness.

Why is the UI an issue? Are you aiming to make the mod more accessible and easier to use? if so, then again, that's not something we must have for a first effort.

Thanks again, and I will be downloading your CSO mod and examining it w/ great interest. Lots to learn.