1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple Victories achieved on the same turn

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by CaptainPatch, Nov 2, 2014.

1. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

In my current game I am in the position of completing both the Promised Land and Contact Victories on the same turn. Does anyone know how the program handles this situation? Does it work through the city production and whichever city gets processed first is declared THE winner? Or does it process through, do the fanfare for the first win and then continue processing and do a second fanfare for the second win?

2. Arcaian

Arcaian Warlord

With Promised Land you have to settle the 20 settlers, so that's done in your turn. When you hit settle on the last settler, you'll win.

3. Halbbruder

Halbbruder Prince

And if you decide not to settle that earthling settler, you win the contact victory. Only 1 victory is recognized. Nice to see that you prepared yourself for both victory types.

4. grades

grades Chieftain

What about a Contact victory and winning domination via Coup d'état?

5. Bezurn

Bezurn Prince

Interested to see what would happen if you paired a Mind Flower and Contact victory together, as both of them rely on a tile improvment to count down to victory... sounds like a challenge!

6. MechMedic130

MechMedic130 Warlord

That seems like it would be hell to time!

7. Bezurn

Bezurn Prince

Not too difficult. You do have control on when you activate the beacon. So you build the beacon first, then you build the mind flower and don't build many mind stem / xeno-whatevers before hand. This should give the mind flower a rather long timer. Then just activate the beacon on the right turn and press end turn to... which victory???

8. CaptainPatch

Actually not that hard if they both will be completing about the same time. In my case they were only 4 turns apart. Build the first one to where it will complete in one turn. Then move it down the projects queue and work on the next project for four turns. Now both will be completing in just one turn. Move the first Wonder back up to the top slot and now both Wonders will be completing on the same turn. (Which really isn't accurate because those weren't the actual Wonder completion turns. There's a next step for both of them.)

9. grades

grades Chieftain

So I just tried this going for a contact victory and transcendence victory on the same turn.

In order to get the timing correct I activated the contact beacon when the Mind Flower had one turn left to be built. After waiting the requisite number of turns I get the first win popup telling me I have achieved a Contact victory. Clicking "OK" then brought up the win popup telling me I have achieved a Transcendence victory. Clicking "OK" then brings up the victory 'endgame' screen (where you can then exit to main menu or continue the game) which states I have won via a Contact victory.

I imagine if I had timed them with the Beacon being activated after Mind Flower was already up the same thing would have happened but in the opposite order and with the final victory screen being for Transcendence.

Maybe the reason for the double victory screen is actually intended to handle winning multiple victories on the same turn? e.g. the small victory popups occur first telling you what all victories you have achieved, then goes to the endgame screen which displays based on whatever victory was 'first' by some logic (here contact since Beacon was activate pre-Mind Flower).

10. CaptainPatch

Turns out that it is unlikely to get Contact before anything else. Turn on the Beacon and it's _90_ turns to conclusion. (Marathon) Conversely, once the Exodus Gate was complete, it only took about @25 turns to settle in 20 Earthling settlers. That makes for a 65 turn gap.

11. grades

grades Chieftain

On quick the contact beacon is a 20 turn wait. Upon building the Mind Flower I had 19 turns to wait and had not built any mind stems/xenosanctuaries.

I would think Mind Flower would also be around a 90 turn wait on Marathon. Seems Purity/Supremacy victory conditions are much quicker than Harmony/Contact on marathon.

12. Bezurn

Bezurn Prince

I achieved a double victory today as well. Built the contact beacon first and then waited a few turns and built the mind flower. It was 30 turns on standard speed for contact, and I synced up the mind flower by building just enough mind stems to even them up.

I think if you go for a double victory it will say you won a contact victory every time, as the code likely looks to see if you won a contact victory first (alphabetical order I assume). It would be much much harder to sync up a mind flower build first, then activate beacon second, as usually you have built 1-2 Xeno Sanctuaries for quests, so the mind flower timer will almost always be below the 30 turn timer.

Screenshots
    Spoiler :

13. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

Coup d'etat happens during AI turn while contact happens at the beginning of your turn so , coup d'etat would be first.

The only simultaneous I can see are described by the previous poster , namely contact and flower.

14. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

I think there should a achievements for double victories, and even triple victories. It is something which is worth showing off, and the achievement might push people to play more diversely.

I remember way way way back in civ 1, my friend who taught my civ showed me that you could time the spaceship victory with the turn end victory. (in those days, you had to wait years for the spaceship to arrive on alpha centaurs before you one, and if you had crappy engines it would take longer because you could choose how many engines to put on the ign. You could also have other choices, like how many habitat models. There was a chance that the ship mission actually failed if you built a crappy ship. Why did civ stop this?) incidentally, this friend of mine has sworn of civ5 and plays some massive civ4 mod. He decided to not go for CBe because it's basically civ 5.

15. CaptainPatch

It's been so long since I played Civ I that I had forgotten there were those variables. I would guess they stopped doing it that way to simplify the amount of programming required. ONE definite conclusion rather than 5+ potentially different endings.

Good for your friend. CBE really isn't a fully satisfying game in and of itself. It still requires either a BIG patch or several smaller ones, plus additional content (DLC or expansions) before it feels complete. You might suggest to your friend that by adding @25-50 Steamworks mods +G&K +BNW can make for a VERY decent Civ experience. It may take a fair amount of tweaking and mix-and-matching to get everything cooperating and working smoothly, but the final product is VERY enjoyable. (At least to me it is.)

16. m15a

m15a Emperor

I'm guessing they got rid of the % chance of winning the spaceship victory because it's pretty annoying to lose just because of a die roll. It's only maybe fun if you're behind by a few turns and can launch a risky ship and maybe win. I want to say the chances and time calculations were also kind of confusing but I was a kid back then, so I'm not sure.

It was kind of like everything people hate about BE victories wrapped in one, though. :)