1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music bliss.. Oh my..

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Baleur, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Baleur

Baleur Chieftain

Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Sounds\Streamed\Music\Asia\Either

AncientXiangShanMelody :eek::):):eek:

Edit: i think i found it "irl" :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXE8DOr8pw

Some of the music (all) hidden in the folders are just, incredible.
    Especially this one, with the slow build-up, and the craziness at the end. Wow.

I just wish there was a way to raise the music & ambient volume ingame BEYOND 100, it feels much more quiet than in Civ4, where you could clearly hear forest ambients and music at the default max-max volume levels. Now, i have to turn up my volume knob irl way higher than for any other game, its a pain.

2. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I agree. I love:love: it!

I've been trying to work out how many hours there are in the Music folder. It seems there's at least 10 hours in there, but I haven't got a media program that shows that info.

EDIT...
    Actually, I think I worked it out - a bit over 7 hours.

3. gunter

gunter Chieftain

Unit sound effects and unit animations are great in Civ V too

4. Aeroplace

Aeroplace Chieftain

Baleur, lower all other volume sliders in-game to 50% and turn up your speakers twice of what you are normally using - voila - music volume increased 200%. ;) - Not sure if that is what you are normally doing though.

5. BeyondCivilized

BeyondCivilized Chieftain

Haven't played any east asian Civ yet, but I just listened to the track and it sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

6. Aldor

Aldor Chieftain

What program do you use to play these files (.ogg)?

7. NobleJms

NobleJms Chieftain

Windows Media Player can play them no problem.

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I'm using winamp for it. Foobar2000 probably works too, IIRC.
    It doesn't for me. :(

9. Medopu

Medopu Chieftain

PieceOfMind, I'm using winamp and it works normally :S

10. gunter

gunter Chieftain

I always turn the music off.

11. DrunkenPirate

DrunkenPirate Chieftain

You're missing out on a lot.

12. Baleur

Baleur Chieftain

I used to have a friend who also turned off the music in ALL games, for more "realism" (funny considering music is in real life too, even in battle sometimes! vietnam, black hawks :p)

But yeah.. Winamp is so oldschool, but i still use it :)
    And yeah lowering the other volumes to 50% would do it, but then i'd forget that my speakers are set so loud, and freak out when i quit the game XD I wish the windows volume control (where you can set individual levels per application) actually saved the settings.

13. Aeroplace

Aeroplace Chieftain

Baleur, heh - I see your point. I think I going to turn up the music during my next play - it does sound quite good.

14. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

I have music off for all games but I have music playing on my iPod while playing a game. In this case, I actually listen to the Civ5 soundtrack while playing Civ5. I even converted the 5 missing .ogg files from the soundtrack download.

15. Nilzor

Nilzor Chieftain

I think it's brilliant what Firaxis have done here.. It just adds so much to the atmosphere of the game. And the quantity AND quality of it! It was a no-brainer to spend the extra $ for the extended edition of the game for this music, even before I had listened to it (I knew of it from the podcasts).

As a Norwegian, I have to bring up The Death of Åse ( /europe/peace/NewPeerGyntSuiteNo.1Op46.ogg ). Really took me by surprise the first time that piece was played ingame. It's a really beautifyl but sad song. You can really feel the tragedy when listening to it. Should have beeen cued for moments of loss in the game - when one of your cities are razed or something :p

Also surprised to find songs with vocal in it - /Asia/War/HolyWaterVessel.ogg . Maybe there are more, I haven't listened to many of the songs through winamp. Kindof want the not-knowing-what-comes-effect by waiting for the music ingame :) edit: Anyone know what language this is? I'm guessing Thai.

16. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

The player doesn't matter, the presence of codecs for that player does. WMP can play ogg files with the right codecs, but it does not have them by default, I think.

17. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

I absolutely love the music... I spent an hour converting those ogg. tracks into mp3 (stupid iTunes doesn't play them).

And it's 271 songs, 15:30:20 total time :)

18. ButSam

ButSam Chieftain

iTunes *can* play it. See this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383191

It's actually mp3's that are stupid, they just are also popular. MP3's are in a proprietary format (so technically, any developer using MP3's is supposed to pay royalties). OGGs are in an open-source format. Why OGG isn't more popular is due almost exclusively to the fact that MP3 became popular before OGG was around and people don't really know better.

19. Mustakrakish

Thanks for that...

I know that, it just doesn't matter when I thought iTunes can't play them and I already got it in mp3 in iTunes... but thanks... :goodjob:

20. Mustakrakish

Could you please point out to which are missing and where to find them? If I understood correctly you're talking about the absence of Suleiman's (and more I believe) soundtrack in the official soundtrack?