Music from Fallout games

Avahz Darkwood

Emperor
In case you are interested here is a link to the composer of some of the fallout music in the game, with downloads. This would help the games atmosphere a good bit...

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2_Soundtrack

my fav would be Vault city for desert landscapes

Wow that's some awesome background music. Did the publisher himself make that music available for download? Meaning it's all legal and all that?

Well to be honest with ya (I believe) that as long as you do not use full tracks and not for profit I *think* copy right laws would not apply. But it would be a good idea and see what he would say about it. His web page is http://www.markmorganmusic.com/
If Davidlallen is interested he may want to drop him a quick email. I love Mark's work, I would recommend just dropping by and taking a listen to some of the other stuff he has on his site. Look at the credits, he has done a good bit of work you may recognize.

Many companies will not enforce copyright to eagerly, when it comes to modders. But technically Copyright still does apply.

Wiki based websites will often state what license / copyright the published media has.

Edit: This wiki apparently doesn't.
But the files were not uploaded by the author nor by the publisher of the game;

Oh by the way here is an email I sent to Mark with this response:

My email:

Hi Mark,

I was wondering if you would have an issue with us using some of your music in a futuristic mod for Civilization IV? This mod is done by fans of the game and there will be no money or other type of currency exchanged. You can find the mod here... http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=301

Thanks,
Shannon Walker

From Mark:

Hi Shannon, Thanks for the interest in my music. I have no problem with you using the music but I would ask that you list me as composer and have a link to my site http://www.markmorganmusic.com/
Thanks, Mark

sniped**@earthlink wrote:

I hope this will allow a bit more atmosphere in the game with the addition of some of the music from the fallout games.... :D
So it is up to you guys if you want it in the mod or not....

Thanks for the encouragement. It looks like all of the "copyright" issues would be avoided by the work you have already done. I am not a big "theme music" guy, in fact I usually play with the sound off.

I will be happy to put a link to the composer's website into the overview website and also into the README; however, I do not plan to repackage the music into a media pack for Fury Road.

A friend (JustATourist) had recently figured out how to package assign sound for the game. I will ask if he's interested to put a package together.

Music can add soul and atmosphere to a game. IMHO one thing this mod is lacking is the atmosphere of a post apocalyptic world, especially in the world map. Good music can set this mood (even if it isn't the fallout theme music) where pictures and tiles can not. The way I look at it is it's like the back ground for all those new leader heads. Those are not needed and you could easily just paste a pastel blank behind them, but then it would not give the feel of what this person represents, I see "theme music" in this same vein, its the background of the game. Granted this is your mod, but many of us do not play with the music off.

Edit: Please don't take this a rant (I know it sounds like it), it's just my personal thoughts :)

What additional things would you suggest to add to the world map to convey more post-apocalyptic atmosphere? We already have ruins, destroyed highways, and fallout, which is all I can think of offhand.

I agree music can add atmosphere. As you point out, I did spend a few hours searching for good pictures to put behind the LH. Unless there is a good variety of music in a game, the sound gets repetitive too fast for me. So I feel I would have to put in a long time searching and qualifying music, in order to add enough that I think would be worthwhile.

We can certainly put together a "post-apocalyptic playlist" of MP3's people could have on in the background while playing Fury Road. Any additional suggestions?

One nifty idea might be to have two separate playlists. The changeover occurs when the player discovers the Radio tech.

As for track listing, presuming copyright wasn't an issue:

* Mad Max soundtrack
* Fallout game soundtrack

...and rock songs that fit in with a general PA vibe off the top of my head...

* Future Legend / Diamond Dogs / Rebel Rebel / Five Years (Bowie)
* Dancing with tears in my eyes (Ultravox)
* We don't need another hero (Tina Turner)
* It's the end of the world as we know it (REM)
* Machines (Queen)

I would prefer a soundtrack without songs (like in music only)

Top Bottom