1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music in Civilization VI. What would you like to hear?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by darko82, May 25, 2016.

1. darko82

darko82 Emperor

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

3. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

I'd like to hear that every music track is easily customizable.

4. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Sure thing, I just thought that some tunes need a new professional refreshment.

5. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Since this is the 25th anniversary and there is a confirmed 25th anniversary digital soundtrack, I would be partial to a selection of greatest hits music from the Civ franchise included as part of the Civ6 soundtrack.

My picks.

Ancient Era

Link to video.

Medieval - American

Link to video.

Medieval - European

Link to video.

6. darko82

darko82 Emperor

You could post here some nice music that fits a civ game - we could create/add our own customed soundtrack to the game (mod it) in case it is customizable. I will look for some nice tracks later.

7. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

I'd like the music to be procedurally generated. The music should fit the tone of what's going on at the moment and the instruments used should be based on what civ you're playing.

8. Makenshi

Makenshi Ahoy, ye salty dogs!

If the music is exactly like in Civ5, but each civ has 3 peace themes instead of just 1, I'll be happy enough. Also, african civs that are not Arab should not use middle eastern themes, but instead have proper african themes. Very old civs like Egypt and Babylon should also have 'ancient world' themes instead of using middle east. All in all, only Arabia, arab offsprings like Songhay/Morroco and long-time arab influenced civs like Persia/Ottomans should use the middle east theme.

That said, I'd love to have the option of just placing an .mp3 or whatever sound file in the folder of whatever civ I wanted and then that song would play along the others. I'd surely put these two for Rome and Japan:

Light of Rome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxqJF_7RCkE

Wutai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1vxvKPOA4A

9. darko82

darko82 Emperor

What I would like to see in terms of soundtrack features:

- each civilization has its own soundtrack
    - the soundtrack progress/changes over the ages/eras.
    - you can easily customise, change, mod it
    - there are war/peace/neutral themes (like in Civ 5)
    - there is diplomatic music, which also has all the above feautres.

10. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

I think 4 had a nice thing that leaders had a theme based on those of old civ games, and you can hear them during diplomacy, and when you zoom in on someones area. It also had good music but not culturally adjusted, which is a pity.

A crazier idea is a music that somehow relates to your focus or the happiness of the people (like: religious\spiritual, happy, militaristic, sad, sophisticated... )

11. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Yes, very good idea. The music changes when we hover over a certain civilization borders. That would be an awesome feature.

12. T.C.Douglas

T.C.Douglas Medicare

dexters - Here here! Civilization III had the best music, in my opinion.

13. m15a

m15a Emperor

I agree, although I don't think the instruments used should be the only difference between different civs. I think each civ should have its own composition (or compositional algorithm), too.

Although if there are instruments associated with each civ, there can be interesting interactions that occur. Like if you're playing Spain and you meet Greece (or go to war with Greece), some of the Spain instruments could be replaced with Greece instruments. Or the Greece theme melody can be integrated into the Spain music but played on Spain instruments.

14. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Totally a good idea. One of the good things that came out of the otherwise-disappointing Spore.

15. m15a

m15a Emperor

Oh, ha! I never played Spore, but I know someone that was involved with some aspect of sound or music, and I'm not surprised my suggestion is similar to the music in Spore.

16. Staler87

Staler87 Warlord

I don't know what it is but when I play grand-scale historically themed games I always feel they should play classical music. Could just be me.

17. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

All Civ has had classical music I don't expect that to change. But might be a bit jarring to hear classical when playing non-western Civ.

18. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

19. Absolution

Absolution Prince

I dream of having Margret Thatcher as leader of England and hearing Sex Pistols and Smiths in the background while dealing with her!

20. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Unfortunately, there won't be a Margaret Thatcher in this game. But hopefully you can find it in a mod or something. That would be a great mod for people like you, indeed etc. If not, you can always mod it yourself. That is what is modding for, isn't it?