Music in latest version of Civ IV

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DSYoungEsq, Feb 5, 2010.

1. OscarWildebeest

OscarWildebeest Prince

<Snort>

I can accept that you don't like it, but this last bit is nonsense.

2. bossconian

bossconian Warlord

I can only feel sorry for you....

I couldn't be more greatful for including John Adams's work in this game.

3. Moroktonos

Moroktonos Philosopher

I initially didn't like the modern music at all, but some of the songs sort of grew on me after a while...

Also, I feel like the playing Mozart (2nd half of the 18th century, Bach, okay, but Mozart? even if it is the lovely adagio from the gran partita) during the era in which one discovers the printing press (mid 15th century) is a bit odd... but then again I suppose they wanted to reserve the composers of that period (Praetorius, Lassus, Palestrina [sicut cervus desiderat ad fontes aquarum ita desiderat anima mea ad te deus, beautiful if you've ever heard it]) for the Medieval era. Plus, there's only so much counterpoint a man can take!

As for the industrial era, I agree with Nilmerf and others about Wagner, though I would include either the introduction to Tristan und Isolde, or an orchestral version of the Liebestod. Also I'd think about Debussey. Many of the suggestions for the modern era (Stravinsky etc.) feel more like Industrial age music (Rites of Spring and Firebird are both pre WWI, his later works are less well known). It would definitely provoke less of a reaction than John Adams though... :rolleyes:

Unique war music also a cool idea.

4. Kullervo

Kullervo Mahler/Sibelius Freak

Stravinsky could be attributed to the Industrial Era if you're thinking of time. But when I think of Industrial-Era composers, I think of those that Civ IV already has: Dvorak, Beethoven, etc. Stravinsky's music is a 'whole other ballgame'. In the industrial music that the game has now, all of the music has emphasis on conventional harmony and tempo, even if it is great music. Stravinsky introduces completely wild new harmonies and it was Stravinsky who laid the foundations for atonality in music (I suppose that point could be argued, but Stravinsky is the most widely credited for atonal music). Stravinsky's music is so radically different (have you ever seen the rites of Spring score? Essentially, he changes the tempo markings every few measures) from that of the current Industrial Era soundtrack that I think it just wouldn't fit.

Also for the Modern Era... I recently came across a CD of Benjamin Britten and John Walton, both English composers, both quite modern. The pieces that I heard were violin/viola concertos. Does anyone know anything more about these two composers? Because their music seemed quite fitting for the Modern Era soundtrack.

And also, a completely off-the-wall proposal: If at some point, there is agreement among Civ players about a new soundtrack (For the Industrial and Modern ages, probably. The other ages have music that would be more difficult to access, I would imagine, and the Renaissance Era music is just fine; well, no one's complained about it yet.) why not just compile a new soundtrack for those two periods and release it as a mod or something? It's just that sitting around arguing about what should be done seems kind of... fruitless?

5. Moroktonos

Moroktonos Philosopher

Fair enough. Though, if one is already splitting Beethoven between the Renaissance/Industrial ages, I could see pushing him entirely into the Renaissance era. Then the Industrial era music could be bound by Wagner (once again thinking Tristan) on one end, Mahler and Holst in the middle, and Stravinsky on the other.

Though I agree he'd work just fine for the modern era too -- this is more for the sake of argument...

6. Genghis Dhan

Genghis Dhan Chieftain

Lshockley, I think the music did change for war back in Civ III. Always that appropriate.

Everyone else, great suggestions. I love the music in Civ IV but I've listened to it all so damn much. I was hoping someone had posted a modpack along the lines of "totally replaced music" that one could just download and plug-in, but haven't found one yet. The music listed above is excellent. Any of you capable enough to create a modpack with it?

I am deeply glad that Civ IV didn't use the electric guitar music that Civ III did to indicate the modern era. (And the leaders changed their clothes with the eras - Joan of Arc of France standing there in punk clothing - yecch.)