Music of Civ VI

Is this the right place to note that I love the wind whistling when the music stops for a while? :love:

I love hearing ambient sounds in between soundtracks, or even as a part of soundtracks.

I'll post some examples of what I mean later on today after work.

I really don't mind the existing music, but what I would really like would be a custom folder that you could designate for custom tracks to be mixed in on occasion.

Civ4 had something similar; it let you choose the ambient music, but the leader music stayed the same.

That, and an option for an updated version of Baba Yetu on the log in screen. :)

As promised, here are some great examples of how strategically-placed nature sounds can provide some terrific ambiance when combined with music. I've tried to find some examples that feature a few different cultures. Get ready to be dazzled by the wind, the rain, birds, and bugs.

This first one's great, but a little long. If you want to cut straight to some great ambiance where thunderstorms and cawing ravens overlay a frenetic Norse drumbeat, skip to about 5:25.

Here is Roland Rizzo's words on how he found the inspiration for the Aztec theme. I hope someone could actually find the real video...

I found the theme by searching for traditional Aztec music on the net. I found a video of a group that looked like they could have been of Aztec descent and seemed to think the music was of Aztec descent, so I used an approximation of that for the Civ6 Aztec theme.

Hm, that one will be hard to find. I would have preferred it if they went with Cora Mitote (used in V), as it had a more distinctive Aztec sound to it.

Can anyone reach Geoff Knorr to settle the ongoing uncertainty about Sumeria's theme? I believe Knorr confirmed to someone that it was an original composition, but people are swearing it's the Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal, No. 6.

Hm, that one will be hard to find. I would have preferred it if they went with Cora Mitote (used in V), as it had a more distinctive Aztec sound to it.

Can anyone reach Geoff Knorr to settle the ongoing uncertainty about Sumeria's theme? I believe Knorr confirmed to someone that it was an original composition, but people are swearing it's the Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal, No. 6.

Sadly, I never found the original melody for the Cora Mitote Song in Civ5.

Here is what Geoff Knorr had to say about Sumeria's theme:

Both Sumeria and Scythia are original melodies. In my research on ancient Sumeria I did run across a few studies that discuss musical modes we believe they used in their music and this was my primary source in shaping an appropriate melody to underscore them in the game. For Scythia, we have very little surviving information on their culture, and whatever music they may have played is no exception. For their theme, I tried to blend many of the surrounding musical traditions of the lands they occupied. I chose to feature the duduk in Scythia's music because of its ancient origins in the same area.

Aha! Thanks. Someone ought to go over to the leader themes elimination thread and correct the reference to the Hurrian Hymn.

The Hurrian "Hymn to Nikkal" was definitely an inspiration, even if it wasn't a direct source; you can hear bits and pieces of it in there.

Note the flute at the beginning, and when the man finishes speaking for the first time. It sounds very similar to parts of the Aztec themes...

I don't think I'm a fan of the music so far after completing my first game. Civ5's music was impressively distinctive, but throughout the game, I found the music bland. And it was jarring hearing non-Asian music when I was playing as Japan. Scarborough Fair must have played 200 times throughout the game, even after I removed Victoria.

There was nothing I listened to this weekend that I would put on my iPhone. That wasn't the case with Civ5 vanilla, even.

I've played several games at this point (though I'd be lying if I said frustration with Civ6 hasn't made me put it away a lot) - and I'm definitely not a fan of the music. Some of it gets good in the later eras, but it certainly doesn't start off strong. That may be the point, but it's a poor choice - it doesn't make me want to play the game. The music just feels lazy (Scarborough Fair is a great example of this, it's not an "inspired by" kind of piece, it's a series of arrangements of the actual song with no change to the base melody).

Again, if I am not humming any of the main themes of your game, your music composer has failed. As it is, I listen to NPR podcasts rather than the music of this game.

Some of it gets good in the later eras, but it certainly doesn't start off strong. That may be the point, but it's a poor choice - it doesn't make me want to play the game.

Simplistic music makes you....not want to play the game?

I've played several games at this point (though I'd be lying if I said frustration with Civ6 hasn't made me put it away a lot) - and I'm definitely not a fan of the music. Some of it gets good in the later eras, but it certainly doesn't start off strong. That may be the point, but it's a poor choice - it doesn't make me want to play the game. The music just feels lazy (Scarborough Fair is a great example of this, it's not an "inspired by" kind of piece, it's a series of arrangements of the actual song with no change to the base melody).

Again, if I am not humming any of the main themes of your game, your music composer has failed. As it is, I listen to NPR podcasts rather than the music of this game.

Don't tell Geoff Knorr that...:(
I guess you dislike the early themes in Civ4 then?

Last edited:
Then the composer can't have failed, because I have "Hard Times" stuck in my head for weeks every time I play. :p

Don't tell Geoff Knorr that...:(
I guess you dislike the early themes in Civ4 then?

I would. This game is not his best work. And that's a shame, as his work on Civ5 is fantastic.

But more so, I would tell that to whatever sound director that dictated that the music should be tied to the eras. It was bad decision making that led to the player being introduced to the game via what is usually the least interesting version of the music. (Also, the chosen melodies are often lazy choices because Knorr and others had to vary on a simple theme.)

Simplistic music makes you....not want to play the game?

Yes. How many games lead with their worst music and wallow in that music for hours? I bet you anything that if I say the names of classic games - Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., Mega Man 2 - you can hum their initial musical themes. That's even true of modern iterations, like Super Mario Gallaxy. Or other good music design, like Bayonetta. Good music is meant to suck you in, get you humming along as you play.

This music is boring. It doesn't encourage me to play the game. If anything, it reinforces a sense I have to put the game away.

I would. This game is not his best work. And that's a shame, as his work on Civ5 is fantastic.

But more so, I would tell that to whatever sound director that dictated that the music should be tied to the eras. It was bad decision making that led to the player being introduced to the game via what is usually the least interesting version of the music. (Also, the chosen melodies are often lazy choices because Knorr and others had to vary on a simple theme.)

Yes. How many games lead with their worst music and wallow in that music for hours? I bet you anything that if I say the names of classic games - Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros., Mega Man 2 - you can hum their initial musical themes. That's even true of modern iterations, like Super Mario Gallaxy. Or other good music design, like Bayonetta. Good music is meant to suck you in, get you humming along as you play.

This music is boring. It doesn't encourage me to play the game. If anything, it reinforces a sense I have to put the game away.

You can send Geoff Knorr a message asking him why the Civ4 approach was used. I guess they wanted to draw in fans of Civ4 who disliked Civ5...
Do you consider Mo Li Hua for China a lazy choice? And Scarborough Fair for England?

You can send Geoff Knorr a message asking him why the Civ4 approach was used. I guess they wanted to draw in fans of Civ4 who disliked Civ5...
Do you consider Mo Li Hua for China a lazy choice? And Scarborough Fair for England?

I can't say much by way of the Chinese music, but I absolutely think Scarborough Fair is an example of melodic laziness. Perhaps even the prime example. The arrangements of that song (and goodness knows how many damned times I've had to listen to it...!) aren't variations on the theme - they're simple accompaniments.

I am still humming Sogno di Volare as I start the game ;)
I like music being full on from the start, and I like this approach too. Much more variety. The one thing I wish they'd do is take all the parts of a given Civ's theme through till the last era; rather than just the main song.

I asked Geoff Knorr about performers for Poland and Australia's ancient themes, and this is his answer:

Yes, Australia's ancient and medieval era themes feature AJ Block on didgeridoo, Patrick McAvinue on fiddle, and Lucas Chohany on guitar. I also worked with two members of the Australian bush band, Fiddlestix, Peter Lambert and Maurice Archenoul, who offered guidance on which other tunes to include and also played mandolin and banjo in the medieval version.

For Poland, Sandro Friedrich plays a few different ethnic flutes and Niccolo Seligmann plays the vielle and bass viola da gamba. If I remember correctly, I also played an ancient turtle shell lyre reproduction on one of the tracks as well.

Top Bottom