Music of Civ VI

It might have something to do with streaming and youtube videos. I've heard content creators turn off the music in Civ V for such videos to avoid copyright claims.
Don't forget that some of the more popular YouTubers get paid from posting Civ V videos (as well as for other games) and the composers of the licensed music would want their cut of the profit. Some of the most popular YouTubers have their own Patreon accounts as well.

I see. So walkthroughs of Civ VI are ok then, as it doesn't use licensed music? Or still not ok since the game developers aren't getting a cut of the profit from such walkthroughs?

I see. So walkthroughs of Civ VI are ok then, as it doesn't use licensed music? Or still not ok since the game developers aren't getting a cut of the profit from such walkthroughs?
There has been a brouhaha over walkthroughs and Let's Plays of Nintendo games, in which Nintendo gets a cut of the profits, causing many Nintendo-centric YouTubers either to post more non-Nintendo videos (many non-Nintendo games played by Nintendo-centric YouTubers include LEGO games) or be funded through donors in Patreon instead (many do both).

I think 2K Games simply views online videos covering Civ VI as free advertising and wanted to help make uploading them easier, but that's just me speculating.

Maybe it's actually cheaper to record your own soundtrack? Maybe the team wanted to do the era-specific music to enhance the feeling of progress, and there was no budget left to add licensed stuff as well? Maybe the license-holders got mad that people were able to listen to their songs outside of the game by copying the game files? I know I did that. But who knows, really.

One thing to add, is that they did the same thing for Beyond Earth. That soundtrack too was entirely original. Maybe they just liked that process better and decided to do the same for this game.

One thing to add, is that they did the same thing for Beyond Earth. That soundtrack too was entirely original. Maybe they just liked that process better and decided to do the same for this game.
On the other hand, Beyond Earth has a much larger soundtrack than Civ6. I appreciate the effort that's gone into doing it all in house, but some diversity would be appreciated.

I absolute adore Nubia's themes! It sounds very fitting, despite the fact that the themes are based on Islamic songs, and ancient Nubia followed the Kemetic religion.

Cleopatra's themes on the other hand don't sound Egyptian at all, but actually Arabic or Islamic. I really loved Ramesses' themes in Civ5, but Cleopatra's theme aren't really fitting, they sound ahistorical and not Ancient Egyptian.

Frankly a lot of the themes don't fit the leaders--Nubia's is actually an Islamic-inspired Sudanese folk song (if I recall), and Cleopatra's is from a famous Egyptian musician long past the spread of Islam into Egypt--so both are anachronistic. Though to be fair, Civ V's Egyptian theme was based on speculation (largely) as to what Egyptian music sounded like as well, so there's that.

Some exceptions are America's and France's themes, which fit the time period of their respective leaders.

I'm as hyped for the addition of new music as for the new Civs. I hope Indonesia's themes incorporate Gamelan, and the Khmer's incorporate Pinpeat.
I will definitely be asking Mr. Knorr about the inspirations for those themes once the DLC is out.

I would like to know the source melody for Khmer's theme.

It's going to be among my favourite themes.

I'm hoping it's based on an actual Khmer melody. I'm not sure people can identify it after the DLC is released. We might need Mr. Knorr's help. :D

With Indonesia out, it is confirmed they used gamelan from Bali. They used "Rejang Dewa", which is perfect for Gitarjah.

Great! I'll still ask Mr. Knorr about the origin of Indonesia's melody, just to make sure.

Although Majapahit is centered in East Java, Bali is the only Hindu majority in Indonesia, which close to Majapahit (still different though, culturally).

But still a great music

I can't wait till the DLC is released so I can listen to the themes for Khmer and Indonesia clearly.

How can I access the music files from the Steam folder thing again? It's kinda difficult finding them the last time I tried.

Top Bottom