1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Music of Civ VI

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ben., Jul 8, 2016.

1. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Chieftain

Another strong soundtrack for Civ. The only ones that disappoint me are Mongolia (Prefer the very similar Civ V version.) and the Netherlands (This song has absolutely nothing to do with the Netherlands. I'd wager 99,99% of the population have never heard it before. Otherwise it's okay though.). My favorites are definitely Cree, Mapuche and Scotland. Over time I'll learn to love them all though, probably.

Ondolindë likes this.
  2. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I'll miss the uShaka chorus, but I will have to live with it.

3. Quis

Quis Chieftain

Ironically, I will choose the Cree in my first R&F run, thanks to the random generator. Maybe the themes will grow on me. :)

Zaarin and Katakanja like this.
  4. shyPiano

shyPiano Chieftain

Oh man, I'm a bit disappointed the expansion didn't come with the soundtrack. :( Both expansions for Civ V had a folder with the soundtrack in MP3 and all metadata ready to plug into iTunes or w/e other music player, I was really expecting this one to have the same.
    The soundtrack is amazing, I'd love to have it on my phone...

Thormodr, Morningcalm and Zaarin like this.
  5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

So, on loading the game (even after restarting with R&F enabled), I still hear Sogno di volare, not the new theme. Wonder if this is intended.

6. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

The zulu music is pretty great in the later eras.

Thormodr and Phoenix1595 like this.
  7. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

I love all of the Zulu themes-- they are catchy without getting cloying, unlike the Kongolese themes.

Quis likes this.
  8. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Fixed that for you :p

9. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro Warlord

After finally listening to entire soundtrack, the time has come for me to post my ranking of R&F themes.

1-2, Zulu - I just want to say, Kongolese soundtrack has one very nice tune called Mama Munu Dile (late). It sounds happy (but not crazily happy like Brazil), nice and heartwarming. And this sounds like Geoff Knorr listened to it and decided to make not one, but four themes that are just as great as Mama Munu Dile. Sure, not very atmospheric for warmongering Shaka, but still, it's a really nice!
    Favourite version: Industrial

1-2, Mongolia - This and Zulu are both on same level to me, since I couldn't really decide between Zulu and Mongolia. Both are great. While Zulu is a happy and heartwarming, Mongolia sounds more dark and is better for conquest, which I also like. Every time I hear it, I also imagine a steppe and galloping Mongol horde. I also really like Civ V Mongolian themes, so the fact that Civ VI uses the same song made me happy.

3, Georgia - What should I say? It's majestic, great and epic, and I really like it!

4, Scotland - Robert the Bruce once again defeats England, this time in theme! I just really like it. It sounds so proud.
    Favourite version: Medieval & Atomic

5-7, Korea - It's great, but I'm afraid that it just isn't as good as it's close neighbours China and Japan :p It's very nice, but it simply isn't as nice as the themes above.
    Favourite version: Medieval & Industrial

5-7, Cree - Let's be honest, I just don't like the Ancient version. However, after I heard the Industrial and Atomic themes, my thought was that I shouldn't have placed them last just from not liking the Ancient version :hammer2: They sound really nice, and after I'll get a little bit used to it, I think the Ancient version won't be such a big problem in my games :crazyeye:
    Favourite version: Industrial & Atomic

5-7, Mapuche - Calm and nice. It's a good theme, but unfortunately, the other four themes above are better. However the Mapuche will always be welcomed as my neighbour, especially in the early game.
    Favourite version: Ancient & Medieval

8, Netherlands - Definitely not saying that this is bad theme. However, I think that this is the weakest from the expansion themes. It's just not as interesting as the other themes. Also, In Naam van Oranje from Civ V is better :p
    Favourite version: Medieval

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  10. Erfael78

Erfael78 Chieftain

I really enjoy the soundtrack to this game. I now have all the original civs and expansion civs, but I don’t have any of the DLC civs. I had initially resigned myself to them not being available, but since they released the expansion soundtrack, I feel like missing the DLC is a gaping hole in my collection. Is there a way to get hold of the DLC soundtrack without resorting to converting things from YouTube? I would love for them to make them available on iTunes so that they can take my money.

sonicmyst and Zaarin like this.
  11. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

Ha, that's funny : ) I've only played Zulu (a tiny bit) Mongolia and The Netherlands, and Mongolia's music is amazing to me. I thought I recognised some notes in it from their Wilhelmus anthem, but that's probably a coincidence then.

I'm not spoiling myself listening to other music, because I want to hear it all ingame : )

12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

13. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Too bad it's not on iTunes yet. :(

14. Two Stepper2098

Two Stepper2098 Chieftain

1. Mongolia - was a tie between this and Zulu, but I usually like the "darker/serious" themes more so I'll give it to Mongolia; the Pastor Song melody is also very beautiful
    2. Zulu - it's so catchy and I find myself humming along every time I listen to it
    3. Cree - really liked the chanting and drums, especially in the later eras
    4. Georgia - choir <3
    5. Scotland - it's so damn patriotic, but could have used a bit more bagpipes in the later eras
    6. Korea - I'm sad to put Arirang so low but this says more about how good the rest of the themes are; still very beautiful especially the Industrial arrangement
    7. Mapuche - fun and catchy, really like the reverb flutes in the Atomic era
    8. Netherlands - not bad, just the least stand-out compared to all the new civs

Haven't played the Zulu yet, but I really like their ambient music, especially this one. It's very different from the general Zulu cheerfulness and sounds almost melancholic

Zaarin likes this.
  15. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Has anyone else been watching the winter Olympics over the last week? I'm only asking because I'm beginning to get really sick of hearing the various upbeat ez-listening versions of Arirang they seem to play over the podiums and then going to play Civ and hearing even more of Arirang because Korea has been in quite a few of my games :lol:

CivLuvah likes this.
  16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I noticed they played Arirang during the opening ceremonies. I haven't noticed it since then.

CivLuvah likes this.
  17. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

It might be the broadcaster over here just has an endless supply of generic Korean muzak to play over their footage then. It's got to the point where I have been humming it the last three mornings in the shower, I'll be able to sing the whole thing in Korean by the end of the competition :D

18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

In America they use John Williams' Olympic Fanfare for pretty much everything to do with Olympics coverage to the exclusion of all other music.

CivLuvah, Uberfrog and Katakanja like this.
  19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

A while back I spent hours on iTunes searching for a version of "Arirang" that was more traditional than jazz, hiphop, EDM, or K-pop and less traditional than chanting; it's remarkably hard to find. :p (I found one I liked by a group called "Naturally Family," if anyone's curious.)

20. Eramas

Eramas Chieftain

Ah, I just found that catchy tune. :p

Uberfrog likes this.