Music of Civ VI

I mean there is nothing wrong with using the anthem of a country (unless it is Australia which is the most boring national anthem out there)
Or the American one, which is impossible to sing sober--and I say that as someone who's never been intoxicated. :lol:

I personally don't mind O Canada, as I quite like its melody.

Not all anthems are bad... Du gamla, du fria for Sweden in Civ V resulted in some of the most beautiful themes in the game. I'm sort of afraid Sweden in Civ VI probably won't have as good themes as their Civ V counterpart...

I will not hear a word said against the marvellous nyckelharpa rendition of Du gamma, du fria in Civ V. The composers have got their wok cut out to improve on it for the Swedish themes this time around.

I will not hear a word said against the marvellous nyckelharpa rendition of Du gamma, du fria in Civ V. The composers have got their wok cut out to improve on it for the Swedish themes this time around.
Nej, I want Hardanger fiddle and kulning.

It's fantastic and remains my favorite theme in the game (even beating out the amazing Brazil war theme).

What better tribute to your national culture than a rendition of The Star Spangled Banner belted out by a minor celebrity before a sporting fixture? :lol:

I'll take that over a local celebrity turning it into an operatic overture.

Or something you hear in the movie Drumlime.

Or worst of all, the singer's and bands who think the best way to play it is to make each note about three measures long...

It's fantastic and remains my favorite theme in the game (even beating out the amazing Brazil war theme).
My personal favourite would be Mongolia. The war theme feels like a Mongol conquest of some city (I'd divide the song into three parts, the first one feels like the Mongols approaching, the second part is them sieging, and third is them sacking the burning city). The peace version is just out of this world. Civ VI Mongolian themes are trying, they are among the best in the game. They even have the throat singing and use Urtiin Duu again as the song they're based on, but they sadly don't reach the amazingness of Civ V...

My personal favourite would be Mongolia. The war theme feels like a Mongol conquest of some city (I'd divide the song into three parts, the first one feels like the Mongols approaching, the second part is them sieging, and third is them sacking the burning city). The peace version is just out of this world. Civ VI Mongolian themes are trying, they are among the best in the game. They even have the throat singing and use Urtiin Duu again as the song they're based on, but they sadly don't reach the amazingness of Civ V...

Maybe because you prefer the Cello to an actual Morin Khuur? :p I like the galloping feeling in the Civ6 Mongolian themes.

Maybe because you prefer the Cello to an actual Morin Khuur? :p I like the galloping feeling in the Civ6 Mongolian themes.
Cello is a great instrument :p

The galloping feel, especially heard in the medieval version is nice and atmospheric, I don't deny this. But Civ V peace theme has something special and charming in it, and it leaves me amazed every time I hear the theme again. On war theme, I won't compare, as Civ VI lacks comparable music that would demonstrate the darkness of warfare. Thus, I value every darker or mysterious piece of music in Civ VI to balance the annoying jollyness of themes like Kongo or Brazil, and Mongolian themes are among these dark, along with Scythia, Norway or Japan.

I personally don't mind O Canada, as I quite like its melody.

Not all anthems are bad... Du gamla, du fria for Sweden in Civ V resulted in some of the most beautiful themes in the game. I'm sort of afraid Sweden in Civ VI probably won't have as good themes as their Civ V counterpart...

The comment wasn't based on the quality of the music, but on the incongruity of having your national anthem played in the middle of a computer game.

Maybe it's different in Europe, but here O Canada is only played to mark the start of the school day (when everyone is expected to stand quietly at attention) or at major public events (where everyone is expected to stand quietly at attention).

It's just weird to have it randomly playing in the background for no particular reason. I mean, no matter how nice the Swedish national anthem sounded, surely there's another Swedish song that could sound just as nice???

The comment wasn't based on the quality of the music, but on the incongruity of having your national anthem played in the middle of a computer game.

Maybe it's different in Europe, but here O Canada is only played to mark the start of the school day (when everyone is expected to stand quietly at attention) or at major public events (where everyone is expected to stand quietly at attention).

It's just weird to have it randomly playing in the background for no particular reason. I mean, no matter how nice the Swedish national anthem sounded, surely there's another Swedish song that could sound just as nice???

Perhaps that’s true, I didn’t realise you guys did that in Canada, I assumed it was purely an American thing. We certainly don’t start the school day with it here, and it’s only played before international sporting fixtures. No idea how it is in Sweden.

I certainly wouldn’t like God Save the Queen to be England’s theme in Civ, but that’s mostly because it’s a frightful dirge.

Is it just me or does the Canadian Industrial theme quote a few bars of "Masquerade" from The Phantom of the Opera?

I certainly wouldn’t like God Save the Queen to be England’s theme in Civ, but that’s mostly because it’s a frightful dirge.
I love "God Save the Queen": only "La Marseilleuse" has better lyrics. "Confound their politics! Frustrate their knavish tricks!" :lol: Sure, it's not quite on the level of irrigating your fields with the blood of the impure, but...

I love "God Save the Queen": only "La Marseilleuse" has better lyrics. "Confound their politics! Frustrate their knavish tricks!" :lol: Sure, it's not quite on the level of irrigating your fields with the blood of the impure, but...

Now, now, you know that any words after the first stanza of a national anthem may as well not be there! That’s how we’ve got away with “rebellious Scots to crush” for the past 300 years. La Marseillaise cuts straight to the chase, and has a musical arrangement that isn’t plodding and dull to boot.

Now, now, you know that any words after the first stanza of a national anthem may as well not be there! That’s how we’ve got away with “rebellious Scots to crush” for the past 300 years. La Marseillaise cuts straight to the chase, and has a musical arrangement that isn’t plodding and dull to boot.

I was shocked when my high school French teacher had us translate La Marseillaise.

How is that the nation where everyone's artists and writers want to go?

Nej, I want Hardanger fiddle and kulning.
Kulning I could enjoy, but I don't know about the Hardanger fiddle, seeing as it would perhaps be a bit odd to use a Norwegian folk instrument instead of taking the opportunity to feature something more Swedish - like the låtfiol, if not the nyckelharpa again.

Top Bottom