Music of Civ VI

I like it, but that Medieval theme sounds very European with the lute and vielle. Not a complaint from me--I love Medieval European music--but I'm not sure that's what they were aiming for...

I love the kora in the Mali themes (honestly if they hadn't used it, it would have been outrageous), but I remain a little disappointed by the Atomic themes. The spaced-out synthetic sound doesn't really do it for me, and it fails to represent the diversity of modern music and instrumentation. In this case, the electric guitar in modern Malian music by such artists as Amadou & Mariam, Tinariwen and Songhoy Blues:-

I feel these first listen videos fall a bit too short to show the complexity of the Atomic themes, that are normally the longest and therefore are able to combine softer sections with more powerful ones. E.g. from the Hungary first listen Atomic theme, it could spend the late game with Corvinus dancing hardcore in a pub all night, but actually the intrusive, repetitive basses only appear at 2:45 of a 3:50 track.

From there on, in any case, it is a crescendo in every single instrument, so you'll still have that "tensión" feeling of having a domination player that can raise powerful mercenary armies in a moment near… but there are much softer sections in the full Hungary atomic track.

I guess for Mali (maybe strangely, because you would intend normally to showcase the more powerful parts of the theme), we are mising the more lively parts of the track.

I would have accepted a (jeli) ngoni instead of a kora as well. :p

I like the ancient theme, dislike the others, so pretty much like with most civ VI themes. I sometimes like the medieval themes (and I hoped this would be the case with Mali, too), but this one completely fails to capture the delicate balance of gravity and lightness a lot of the Malian music is famous for and feels like a drag - not as bad as the Industrial theme, but I'm still disappointed. I just don't see the need to make the themes that European. Got to meet Mali early for a variety of reasons :D

Most of the ancient themes in Civ6 make me fall asleep. :sleep: Especially that slow Chinese theme.

I like it, but that Medieval theme sounds very European with the lute and vielle. Not a complaint from me--I love Medieval European music--but I'm not sure that's what they were aiming for...

That’s been the case with all the medieval themes as far as I can tell. The instrumentation is thematic but a little too specific to Europe. I am also a fan of a good viol da gamba so I’m not complaining either.

It didn't seem like they played the Mali Atomic theme before today's livestream, so no upload on Youtube from Peaches Lamb then.....:cry:

It didn't seem like they played the Mali Atomic theme before today's livestream, so no upload on Youtube from Peaches Lamb then.....:cry:
I think it was the Malian atomic theme played before the expansion theme showed... Though I'm not sure. Industrial and atomic themes are often very similar in Civ VI...

I think it was the Malian atomic theme played before the expansion theme showed... Though I'm not sure. Industrial and atomic themes are often very similar in Civ VI...

It didn't sound Atomic to me. They usually have these electronic synth noises.

Well, I could probably tell by the background sound in the beginning which can be heard in the first listen whether it is atomic or not, but unfortunately, I couldn't hear the beginning properly because today, the livestream music was quiet. To hear it better, I used the headphones... But I plugged them just after the beginning of the theme played.

Well, I could probably tell by the background sound in the beginning which can be heard in the first listen whether it is atomic or not, but unfortunately, I couldn't hear the beginning properly because today, the livestream music was quiet. To hear it better, I used the headphones... But I plugged them just after the beginning of the theme played.
Okay, just re-listened it from Twitch... It's most probably industrial.

Love the Mali Industrial theme. Could be my favourite of all the GS civs so far.

Watching the Mali livestream on YouTube, and about 14 min in I randomly heard the Māori song "Paikea".

I'm guessing it's another Ancient-era alternative Māori song. I swear I could hear another one too in the livestream, but I couldn't identify it while the devs were talking. I wonder how many songs the Māori will end up having.

Also, I didn't know that alt songs from one civ can be heard while playing as another civ.

Love the Industrial theme! Sounds quite mature and nuanced compared to some of the other themes. Hopefully the ambient tracks showcase the diversity of Malian music. (Would it be too much to ask for a Rokia Traore cover?) So far this expansion has done a great job with the themes. My current ranking is:

1. Maori
2. Hungary
3. Mali
4. Canada
5. Inca

Love the Industrial theme! Sounds quite mature and nuanced compared to some of the other themes. Hopefully the ambient tracks showcase the diversity of Malian music. (Would it be too much to ask for a Rokia Traore cover?) So far this expansion has done a great job with the themes. My current ranking is:

1. Maori
2. Hungary
3. Mali
4. Canada
5. Inca
Agreed on this expansion having amazing music. My ranking would be would be:

1. Mali
2. Maori
3. Canada
4. Inca + Hungary

I asked Geoff Knorr about the inspiration for the Mali themes in Civ6, and here is his answer:

I was very grateful to be able to work with kora player Amadou Kouyate, who is a master Diali (oral historian and musician) of the Manding tradition of West Africa. His musical lineage in this tradition goes back an amazing 150 generations! The theme for Mali is based on two traditional songs from this tradition, "Mali Sadjo" and "Masana Seesay."

All the best,
Geoff

I wonder if I can find Mali Sadjo and Masana Seesay on Youtube?

I found the song for Mali Sadjo but not Masana Seesay. That one shows mostly south Indian videos.

The song sounds like the former though I have not listened to the industrial piece extensively to be familiar with it.

Interestingly, someone wrote the origin of that song in the comments that I'll paste here:

this is the legend of Mali Sadio: Generally, the story mentions a hippopotamus, which is called “mali” in Bambara, which carries on a friendship with a young lady called Sadio. In other VERSIONS, it is the hippopotamus that is called Mali Sadio (or just Sadio), a term which could have its origins in the Kassonké term “Cajo” (“Tchatcho” in Bambara), which means “an animal of two colours”. This term “tchatcho” is also used in a pejorative sense to mean a woman who has bleached her skin. In the end, the hippopotamus was killed. According to certain versions, it was killed by a local who, having fallen in love with the young lady, became jealous of the friendship. According to other versions, it is a French colonist called Cauchon who killed the animal.

Actually I may have found the second piece.

Though it's spelled Masane Sise. I'm not completely sure if it is right as I found a couple spelled as Manssane Cisse. I'm afraid I ran out of time for my break to verify.

Top Bottom