1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music of Civ VI

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ben., Jul 8, 2016.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I like it, but that Medieval theme sounds very European with the lute and vielle. Not a complaint from me--I love Medieval European music--but I'm not sure that's what they were aiming for...

Guandao and Siptah like this.
  2. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

I feel these first listen videos fall a bit too short to show the complexity of the Atomic themes, that are normally the longest and therefore are able to combine softer sections with more powerful ones. E.g. from the Hungary first listen Atomic theme, it could spend the late game with Corvinus dancing hardcore in a pub all night, but actually the intrusive, repetitive basses only appear at 2:45 of a 3:50 track.

From there on, in any case, it is a crescendo in every single instrument, so you'll still have that "tensión" feeling of having a domination player that can raise powerful mercenary armies in a moment near… but there are much softer sections in the full Hungary atomic track.

I guess for Mali (maybe strangely, because you would intend normally to showcase the more powerful parts of the theme), we are mising the more lively parts of the track.

3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Most of the ancient themes in Civ6 make me fall asleep. :sleep: Especially that slow Chinese theme.

4. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

That’s been the case with all the medieval themes as far as I can tell. The instrumentation is thematic but a little too specific to Europe. I am also a fan of a good viol da gamba so I’m not complaining either.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  5. Guandao

It didn't seem like they played the Mali Atomic theme before today's livestream, so no upload on Youtube from Peaches Lamb then.....:cry:

6. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I think it was the Malian atomic theme played before the expansion theme showed... Though I'm not sure. Industrial and atomic themes are often very similar in Civ VI...

7. Guandao

It didn't sound Atomic to me. They usually have these electronic synth noises.

8. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Well, I could probably tell by the background sound in the beginning which can be heard in the first listen whether it is atomic or not, but unfortunately, I couldn't hear the beginning properly because today, the livestream music was quiet. To hear it better, I used the headphones... But I plugged them just after the beginning of the theme played.

9. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Okay, just re-listened it from Twitch... It's most probably industrial.

10. fatalitod

fatalitod Chieftain

11. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Fantastic, start to finish. Mali and Canada are my two favorites now from the new Xpac. We'll have to see if Sweden is up to snuff, Gustavus had the best music in Gods and Kings.

12. Canterbury

Canterbury Chieftain

Love the Mali Industrial theme. Could be my favourite of all the GS civs so far.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I actually enjoyed the industrial theme better in full than I did in the First Listen.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  14. Canterbury

Canterbury Chieftain

Watching the Mali livestream on YouTube, and about 14 min in I randomly heard the Māori song "Paikea".

I'm guessing it's another Ancient-era alternative Māori song. I swear I could hear another one too in the livestream, but I couldn't identify it while the devs were talking. I wonder how many songs the Māori will end up having.

Also, I didn't know that alt songs from one civ can be heard while playing as another civ.

15. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Chieftain

Love the Industrial theme! Sounds quite mature and nuanced compared to some of the other themes. Hopefully the ambient tracks showcase the diversity of Malian music. (Would it be too much to ask for a Rokia Traore cover?) So far this expansion has done a great job with the themes. My current ranking is:

1. Maori
    2. Hungary
    3. Mali
    4. Canada
    5. Inca

Stomper66 likes this.
  16. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Agreed on this expansion having amazing music. My ranking would be would be:

1. Mali
    2. Maori
    3. Canada
    4. Inca + Hungary

Stomper66 and cosmicmangobear like this.
  17. Guandao

I asked Geoff Knorr about the inspiration for the Mali themes in Civ6, and here is his answer:

I was very grateful to be able to work with kora player Amadou Kouyate, who is a master Diali (oral historian and musician) of the Manding tradition of West Africa. His musical lineage in this tradition goes back an amazing 150 generations! The theme for Mali is based on two traditional songs from this tradition, "Mali Sadjo" and "Masana Seesay."

All the best,
    Geoff

I wonder if I can find Mali Sadjo and Masana Seesay on Youtube?

18. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

Neat. I really like the blending of traditional songs we've heard throughout the various themes.

19. 6uho Koe

6uho Koe Chieftain

I found the song for Mali Sadjo but not Masana Seesay. That one shows mostly south Indian videos.

The song sounds like the former though I have not listened to the industrial piece extensively to be familiar with it.

Interestingly, someone wrote the origin of that song in the comments that I'll paste here:

this is the legend of Mali Sadio: Generally, the story mentions a hippopotamus, which is called “mali” in Bambara, which carries on a friendship with a young lady called Sadio. In other VERSIONS, it is the hippopotamus that is called Mali Sadio (or just Sadio), a term which could have its origins in the Kassonké term “Cajo” (“Tchatcho” in Bambara), which means “an animal of two colours”. This term “tchatcho” is also used in a pejorative sense to mean a woman who has bleached her skin. In the end, the hippopotamus was killed. According to certain versions, it was killed by a local who, having fallen in love with the young lady, became jealous of the friendship. According to other versions, it is a French colonist called Cauchon who killed the animal.

20. 6uho Koe

6uho Koe Chieftain

Actually I may have found the second piece.

Though it's spelled Masane Sise. I'm not completely sure if it is right as I found a couple spelled as Manssane Cisse. I'm afraid I ran out of time for my break to verify.

Morningcalm likes this.