1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music of Civ VI

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ben., Jul 8, 2016.

1. fatalitod

fatalitod Chieftain

2. Stomper66

Stomper66 Chieftain

Really I didn't feel as though it is very European sounding. I think a problem with the music is that with some exceptions (eg China, Japan) a lot of the Industrial themes sound too European and lose their individuality. Cultural instruments get drowned out by trumpets and a huge orchestra and they all sound a bit too similar.

I like the Mali music but I think the main theme sounds like two different songs. I love the first half sounds like the music playing if you were riding a horse really fast through the desert. But at 2:45 the track changes and this last half sounds a bit dull and boring.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    Zaarin and Kimiimaro like this.
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I agree, and 90% of the Atomic themes are execrable because of those awful synths. But with this theme specifically the Medieval combination of lute, vielle, viola da gamba, etc. would feel write at home in 14th century France.

4. fatalitod

fatalitod Chieftain

I think that lute specifically is the kora, which does sound like it would feel at home in 14th century France despite being the Malian representative instrument (alongside the percussion, as with most medieval themes). I do think they could've put more of an effort to add multiple representative instruments for all the medieval themes, instead of sounding like, well, a medieval European ensemble with a soloist on the unique instrument.

For the arrangement of the Medieval theme, I like that they sort of divided it in two parts with the two base songs. The pattern of including a second song right in the middle, as with Macedon, Scotland, and the Maori theme, is really jarring when the rhythm changes as it so often does, and so many themes already do that. The composition of Mali Medieval theme reminded me of the Indonesia Medieval theme in particular.

Zaarin likes this.