1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Music of Civ VI

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ben., Jul 8, 2016.

1. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Well the composer of Gaillarde is from "The Netherlands" (by which I don't mean the country, but the Low Country region which was then known under that name), so they probably looked for "Composer Netherlands" and found him. I don't think it's a bad theme in itself, just an insipid one. At least it's memorable, I guess. I don't think i could assign more than 5 of the vanilla themes to their respective civs without cheating.

Zaarin and Alexadamz like this.
  2. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

The Ottomans may be the first Civ where every era is 1) distinctive and 2) good. There's usually a let down somewhere along the way.

Vanilla has some great themes in the right era: America, Kongo, Japan, Spain, Germany, Russia and Norway are just as good as some of the later ones.

3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I asked Mr. Knorr why he picked Banaha for Kongo, Brejeiro for Brazil and Mo Li Hua for China. And also the inspiration for the Ottoman themes. Here is his swift reply:

Thank you for writing and your continued interest and support for the music in Civilization VI! For song selection, we hope to first and foremost use songs that are characteristic of the musical tradition of the civilization. After that, we hope the tunes are familiar to the performers we work with, memorable/easily recognizable, practical for playing alongside Western instrumentation and equal temperament, old enough to be in the public domain, sometimes well-known and celebrated in the country it comes from, and occasionally a connection of some kind to the leader. Rarely does a single song meet all of these qualifications, so you'll see some of the selections will lean towards some of the priorities and not others and vice versa.

I chose "Mo Li Hua" as the main theme for China for a few various reasons. First, it is among the most well-known Chinese folk songs throughout the world. This would make it very recognizable for many Civ players, who span the world. The guzheng player I worked with on the music also recommended it as an appropriate choice.

For the Kongolese theme, it rose to the top of my list as the most popular and well-known melody originating from the region, which is the primary reason I chose it.

Brazilian music presents an interesting challenge related to the public domain requirement, since much music recognizable as distinctly Brazilian is not very old. Brazilian "choro" music is one of the earliest distinctly Brazilian styles of music and I decided to use choro music to underscore Brazil. Even still, I had to be very careful in the selection of each of the tunes. "Brejeiro" became one of my favorite tunes and I decided it would be a nice choice for carrying us through the eras.

I just uploaded a first listen for the Ottomans yesterday. The main theme is based on "Ey büt-i nev edâ olmuşum müptelâ" and the Mehter march song, "Yelkenler Biçilecek."

All the best,
    Geoff

So now you know why he picked Banaha and Brejeiro, even though it annoys so many of you. :p

Uberfrog, Zaarin, CivLuvah and 5 others like this.
  4. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

Really nice to see his ideas behind the choice, thanks! The "choro" music choice was amazing, many brazilians like that sound, though a little bit old - most choro songs are older than 80 or so years. Personally, I prefer "Odeon", it is another song from the same composer and it played on many soap operas here, those soap operas that pictured the 1920s, 1930s or 1940s brazilian society. I think he didn't chose that one because it is more a piano score and I don't hear much pianos in the themes from Civ VI

Guandao likes this.
  5. Ersoperso

Ersoperso Chieftain

Here is Ottomans soundtrack from today livestream:

6. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

Is that the Industrial? Its amazing.

7. fatalitod

fatalitod Chieftain

Ottoman Atomic

8. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Fortunately most of the themes I like the least also belong to civs I didn't enjoy playing: Brazil, Kongo, England... :p Also at present my favorite civ to play also has one of my favorite themes: Persia.

Greywulf likes this.
  9. Guandao

What do you find fun about playing as Persia? Declaring Surprise Wars? :p

10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Pairidaēzāha. :love:

Siptah and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Chieftain

Amazing theme.

12. Greywulf

Greywulf Chieftain

That is fortunate. If I really want to play as a civ, but don't like the music, or have heard the music too much, then I just turn off the music. That being said, I do feel that I am a little influenced by what their music sounds like, as music is so important to me personally.

Zaarin likes this.
  13. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Warlord

I really love this one. Powerful, melancholic and majestic.

I went to listen to it again today because I didn't really remember it that much. I had the feeling that I had liked it before, but not as others. But listening to it again really did it for me. I really liked it. One of my favorites now. I need to play Persia more now. I truly enjoy that civ but haven't in a while.

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

That santur... :love:

If they got a culture-focused leader like Shappur II, I'd probably rarely play anyone else. :D

Ondolindë likes this.
  15. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Ok, the Ottoman choir in these is giving the Russian choir a good run for their money.

Ondolindë, Kimiimaro and Zaarin like this.
  16. Guandao

Are those worth building?

17. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

I think they're among the best tile improvements for culture victory (+2 appeal to adjacent tiles, plus providing some culture and tourism themselves), and they look fantastic as well.

God of Kings, Zaarin, Kjimmet and 5 others like this.
  18. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Reminder that this is a music thread, not a "what buildings or tile improvements are worth it" thread, so please return to the topic.

19. Guandao

I think the Phoenician themes will be composed by Roland Rizzo. He composed themes for three Civs in Rise and Fall, so I'm guessing it's the same here.

What will they base the melody on? Hurrian hymns? Lebanese music?

20. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Hopefully Lebanese folk music or Jewish melodies. The Sumerian theme may be an original composition, but it definitely quotes bars from the Hurrian Hymn.

Guandao, Kjimmet and Siptah like this.