Music of Civ VI

A Twitter thread by Geoff Knorr on the Vietnamese themes: https://twitter.com/GeoffKnorr/status/1354632523721175040?s=20

The đàn tranh (zither) and T'rưng (xylophone) were played by the Vietnamese musician Dao Vu. Due to COVID, it ended up having to be recorded remotely!

“Geoff Knorr” said:
Dao was open to trying to record remotely from her home, so I got to work putting together and testing a remote recording rig to ship her. It ended up being a massive 70 lbs. package of recording gear!

Ok, after installing the DLC, I checked out the wem files for Vietnam's themes and ambient music, and tried to convert them to Ogg files, like I usually do with the rest of Civ6 soundtrack. This time, none of the files converted, and I got the message Parse error: expected 0x42 fmt if vorb missing.

I paid for the New Frontier Pass, so I feel disappointed I can't listen to the music outside of the game. If anyone seeing this post has a solution to the problem, please pm me.

Ok, after installing the DLC, I checked out the wem files for Vietnam's themes and ambient music, and tried to convert them to Ogg files, like I usually do with the rest of Civ6 soundtrack. This time, none of the files converted, and I got the message Parse error: expected 0x42 fmt if vorb missing.

I paid for the New Frontier Pass, so I feel disappointed I can't listen to the music outside of the game. If anyone seeing this post has a solution to the problem, please pm me.
In case it helps, I was able to convert the wem files to ogg. At the very least it should be able to work.

As someone who plays Germany a lot.....

I think I would buy a PC and Civ VI over again if there was a mod that got rid of the screechy violins

Seriously how do you do a German civ with such terrible music when things like Ode to Joy or Prussia’s Glory or basically a million other alternatives exist

Seriously how do you do a German civ with such terrible music when things like Ode to Joy or Prussia’s Glory or basically a million other alternatives exist
Virtually all civs have folk songs as their themes. I can't say German folk songs are my speciality, but looking up "Ich hab die Nacht geträumet" it seems to fit Freddy well enough, even if it probably post dates him a few centuries. The Hohenstaufens were Swabian not Prussian so "Prussia's Glory" would feel extremely inappropriate for Freddy...(That being said, Germany's theme isn't very memorable, though I don't have a problem with the violins.)

Ode to Joy was Germany's theme in Civ5. And I'm guessing they wanted a German folk song this time.

Imagine if they didn't go the folk angle for the soundtrack this time. We might've ended up with the Norwegian theme being In The Hall of the Mountain King... though Edvard Grieg was the first person who wrote down Gjendines bådnlåt and turned it into a composition, so in a way, he's still responsible.

Imagine if they didn't go the folk angle for the soundtrack this time. We might've ended up with the Norwegian theme being In The Hall of the Mountain King... though Edvard Grieg was the first person who wrote down Gjendines bådnlåt and turned it into a composition, so in a way, he's still responsible.
I love Grieg and would have no objection to that...but "Gjendines bådnlåt" is also one of my favorite themes in the game. I hope they keep going the folk route personally.

Seemingly this is due to wrong indexing in the music bank file. I checked each wem in the folder and here is the correct file name for each piece of music for Vietnam:

23529966 Vietnam_Ancient_TuDaiOan
100912500 Vietnam_Atomic
122557484 Vietnam_Ancient_LuuThuyHanhVan
125333140 Vietnam_AncientTheme2_LyKeoChai_Trung
220988992 Vietnam_Medieval
424188339 Vietnam_Industrial
445915863 Vietnam_AncientTheme1_TrongCom_DanTranh
472695898 Vietnam_Ancient_BeoDatMayTroi
508692886 Vietnam_AncientTheme1_TrongCom_Trung
622823127 Vietnam_Ancient_LuuThuy_KimTien_XuanPhon
826293977 Vietnam_AncientTheme2_LyKeoChai_GiangCau_DanTranh
867235225 (duplicate of 622823127)
875693762 (duplicate of 508692886)
916725881 Vietnam_Ancient_LyTinhTang
977093694 (duplicate of 826293977)
1064652992 (duplicate of 125333140)

Hopefully this helps.

@fatalitod Is there a way you could upload a 7zip or rar containing all the NFP music to mega-upload or something? I did so for the ogg files of all the previous Civs, but haven't gotten around to converting NFP yet.

I love Grieg and would have no objection to that...but "Gjendines bådnlåt" is also one of my favorite themes in the game. I hope they keep going the folk route personally.

I enjoyed the change in style from Civ 5 (where a lot of classical pieces were used) to the more folk-oriented approach in Civ 6. Both games have great soundtracks, but obviously folk music is more applicable to every culture in the game.

Who knows what the themes will be like in Civ 7, but I imagine it's more rewarding for the composers if the approach changes with each new instalment.

I like the music of England, Shoshone, and Canada, and especially like the music of England in Civ V. But I play Maori a lot and I really am starting to like some of their slower music as well. It reminds me of Hawaiian music, and I think the Hawaiian language is beautiful.

I've always been aware of the music playing but never pay attention to whose is whose. Kept hearing this one theme though and had to figure it out. Hungary. It is god tier music. And now I need to listen to the entire soundtrack front to back to figure out who I like.

Top Bottom