Musical Themes Wishlist

Guandao

Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka
The purpose of this thread is to create a list of music that us Civfanatics would like to be used as the basis for Civ themes. I have included the Civs which have been in previous versions along with some which have never appeared before. Please do not suggest music which are copyrighted. You can also suggest Civs for me to add.

Aboriginals (Australian) (Didgeridoo)
David Blanasi music

Afghanistan (Zerbaghali or Rubab)

Da Zamong Zeba Watan

America ()

Dill Pickle Rag

Apache (Apache Fiddle)

Apache Sunrise Song

Argentina (Bombo leguero)

Gallo Ciego

Armenia (Duduk)

Kochari
music by Sayat-Nova
Yarkhushta war dance

Ashanti (Aburukuwa or Atenteben or Fontomfrom)

Funeral Dirge

Austria (Steirische Harmonika)

Blue Danube
Fruhlingstimmenwalzer
Prinz Eugen, der edle Ritter
Requiem (Mozart)
Still, still, still

Babylon (Lyre or Lute)

A Zaluzi to the Gods
Ashir Shirim

Boers (Concertina)

Sarie Marais

Bulgaria (Gaida, Kaval, Gadulka,)

Kaval Sviri
Pilence Pee
The Mystery of Bulgarian Voices

Burma (Saung)
Byaw

Byzantine (Byzantine lyra)

3 Cretan Monks
Axion esti in plagal 2nd
Eksomologisthe to Kyrio
Élpiza kaí páli elpízo
Kyrie Eleison in Plagal 4th
Phos Hilaron
Polychronion
Pontiaká Oútsaï
Roumpalia
The Nightingale Kratima
The Nightingales of the East/T' aidónia tis Anatolís
Ti Ipermaho

Canada (Fiddle) Added in Gathering Storm
Land of the Silver Birch
The Maple Leaf Forever
Un Canadien Errant

Carthage (Harp) Combined with Phoenicia in Gathering Storm

Hymn to Nikkal
Zarzis

Celts (Fiddle or Bagpipe) Added in Rise and Fall as Scotland

Ar Hyd y Nos
Dacw 'Nghariad
Flowers of the Forest
Pais Dinogad
Róisín Dubh
Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór
The Lass of Aughrim
The Parting Glass

Cherokee (Water Drum or Flute)

Cherokee Morning Song

Czech/Bohemia (Steirische Harmonika, Heligonka, Fanfrnoch, Bock)

Má vlast
Slavonic Dances

Denmark (Birch trumpet, Giga)
Drømde mik en drøm i nat
Mitt hjerte alltid vanker
Og det var liden Karen

Ethiopia (Begena)
I Beg You, Heart
Oh my country

Gran Colombia (Cuatro)
Gaita zuliana
Joropo

Hittites (Reed Flute or Cymbals or Frame Drum)
Ancient Hittites of Anatolia
Hittite Lutes

Hungary (Cimbalom) Added in Gathering Storm

Akkor szép az erdő
Folk Music of Hungary
Madárka, madárka

Incas (Zampoña) Added in Gathering Storm
Wayno

Indonesia (Gamelan) (added in DLC)

Bengawan Solo
Gending Sriwijaya
Onang Onang
Puspawarna
Udan Mas

Inuit (Human voice or Qilaut)

Girl's Game by Angutnak & Matee

Iroquois (Rattle, Drum or Flute)

Alligator Dance
Ho, Ho, Watanay
Water Song

Italy (or any Italian based state like Tuscany, Genoa or Venice) (Mandolin)

La Mantovana
La Partenza
La Traviata
Tarantella

Khmers (Roneat ek) (added in DLC)

Cambodia: Folk and Ceremonial Music
Sathouka

Korea (Gayageum) (added in R&F expansion)

Arirang
Sujecheon
Yeomillak

Madagascar (Valiha)

Mandrosa Lahy Maeva
Oay Lahy E

Mali (Kora) Added in Gathering Storm

Badenya: Manden Jaliya in New York City
Sutukung

Manchuria (imcin, dangu)

Manchu Drink song
Saisa Gabtara Ucun (The Song of Archery)

Mapuche (Pifilca ,Trompe) (added in R&F Expansion)
Danzas Mapuche
Mapuche Musical Instruments and Music

Maya (Rattle, Ocarina or Huehuetl)

Music of the Maya-Quiches of Guatemala
Xtoles

Mexico (Guitar)

La Cucaracha
La Llorona

Mongolia (Tsuur or Morin khuur) (added in R&F Expansion)

Chinggis Khaani Magtaal
Jaahan Sharga
Mongolia: Traditional Music
Toroi Bandi

Morocco (Krakebs or Sintir)

Lalla Fatima
Mawal Gnawi

Mughals (Sitar)
Mishra Bhairavi

Muisca (Fotuto or Ocarina)
Indigenous Colombian Music
Kuna Traditional Dances

Navajo (rattles, flutes, whistles, drums)
Corn Grinding Songs

Netherlands (Accordian or Barrel Organ) (added in R&F Expansion)

6 Concerti by Unico Wilhelm Graf van Wassenaer
In naam van Oranje
Merck toch hoe sterck

Norway
In the Hall of the Mountain King
Mellom Bakkar og Berg
Norge, mitt Norge

Ottomans (Turkish Tambur) (Added in Gathering Storm)
Cecen Kizi
Ceddin Deden
Güldür Gül
Güzel Âşık
Hucum Marsi

Palmyra ()
Syria Traditional Music

Phoenicians (Harp) (Added in Gathering Storm)
Laments of Lebanon

Polynesia (Nose Flute or Pahu) Added in Gathering Storm as the Maori

Aloha 'Oe
Hole Waimea
Pokarekare Ana

Portugal (Cavaquinho)

Saudades de Coimbra

Russia

Meadowlands March

Sami
Maze

Siam (Krachappi or Saw duang or Pi nai)

Music of Thailand
Royal Court Music of Thailand

Sioux (Drum or human voice)

Chief's Honoring Song
Sioux Honor Song
Sioux Memorial Song

Spain ()

Gran Vals

Swahili ()

Bwana Awabariki
Malaika
Taarab
Wako Wapi

Sweden (Nyckelharpa) Added in Gathering Storm

Du gamla, du fria
Uti vår hage

Taino (Percussion)
Calling Song

Tibet (Dramyin)
Tibetan Folk Song

Timurids (Karnay or Dayereh)
Samarkand Ushshogi

Tupi (Maraca)
Traditional Guarani Music

Vietnam (Dan bau or Dan day or Ken bau)

Ca trù
Dao Lieu
Folk Songs of Vietnam
Viet Nam: Ca Tru & Quan Ho- Traditional Music

Yoruba (Dundun or Agogo)
Ogbon

Traditional African Nigerian Music of the Yoruba Tribe

Zimbabwe (Mbira)

Kariga Mombe
Mahororo
Nhemamusasa
Nyamaropa

Zulus (Akadinda or umakhweyana) (added in R&F Expansion)

Aya Ngena
Baba Nomama
Halala Syanibongela
Inhliziyo Yami
Mbube

Last edited:
Austria: Blue Danube (Johann Strauss II)
Spoiler :

Portugal: Mare Nostrum (Medieval II Total War)
Spoiler :
Bizantine Empire: The Bizantine Empire (Cruzader Kings)
Spoiler :
Italy: La Traviata (Verdi); Tarantella
Spoiler :

altayrneto apparently doesn't like to read the fine print. "Please do not suggest music which is copyrighted" is right there in the parent post.

From my Design Your Own Civ thread (my suggestions), the musical theme for Korea could be Sujecheon, composed in the Silla era. (If anyone from Firaxis is reading this, a great musical theme if you choose Sejong as Korea's leader again would be Yeomillak, composed by Sejong the Great himself).

Last edited:
Canada:

The Maple Leaf Forever (Alexander Muir)

Muir died in 1906 (and was Canada's unofficial national anthem), thus should easily be in the public domain

The Ancient Era version of the Maple Leaf Forever would involve Celtic-style fiddle music, the Medieval Era would feature the same but with drums and fifes, the Industrial Era would feature a full orchestra, and the Atomic Era would include piano, synthesizers, and theremin to the orchestra.

Last edited:
For the Zulu I'd suggest Mbube by Solomon Linda, a South African singer (of Zulu descent), which many of you may recognise as the inspiration behind The Lion Sleeps Tonight...

Spoiler Video :

Another option for the Netherlands could be Unico Wilhelm Graf Van Wassenaer's 6 concerti. I would love to see how the atomic era would sound.

Why "Hymn to Nikkal" for Carthage? I know Civ5 did it, but really the only civilizations I could see it really making sense for would be the Hurrians/Mitanni (who wrote it originally) or the Babylonians, Assyrians, or Persians (who conquered them)--I'd find it acceptable for Sumer and Elam simply because they're in the same region and era. But it's a strange choice for Carthage, IMO, which was at its peak a thousand years later and 2,500 miles away. What would I offer in its stead? Good question. I'm not aware of any surviving Carthaginian or even Phoenician music, but I believe there is some reasonably old Jewish music. The Phoenicians and Jews were extremely closely related, so I would find that acceptable.

Why "Hymn to Nikkal" for Carthage? I know Civ5 did it, but really the only civilizations I could see it really making sense for would be the Hurrians/Mitanni (who wrote it originally) or the Babylonians, Assyrians, or Persians (who conquered them)--I'd find it acceptable for Sumer and Elam simply because they're in the same region and era. But it's a strange choice for Carthage, IMO, which was at its peak a thousand years later and 2,500 miles away. What would I offer in its stead? Good question. I'm not aware of any surviving Carthaginian or even Phoenician music, but I believe there is some reasonably old Jewish music. The Phoenicians and Jews were extremely closely related, so I would find that acceptable.

No idea what to put under Carthage :undecide:, plus Hurrians/Mitanni will likely never be added to Civ6. Was Ugarit a Phoenician city in the past?
Surviving Carthaginian melodies is non-existent, not sure where to look for reasonably old Jewish music, any suggestions?
I might add Tunisian folk songs for Carthage...

For England, Jerusalem by William Blake, both somber and uplifting.
I don't think another melody for England will be added. Pericles and Gorgo have the same exact theme. I could be proven wrong...

As it turns out, Nikkal was a Phoenician goddess, so that must be why they used yet another version of the Hymn to Nikkal in Civ V (Babylon and Carthage used the theme, for those not aware). Not a strong musical connection, but neither was Li Ling Si Han, and both songs are decent enough that it's forgiveable. It would be tricky to find a Phoenician song.

As it turns out, Nikkal was a Phoenician goddess, so that must be why they used yet another version of the Hymn to Nikkal in Civ V (Babylon and Carthage used the theme, for those not aware). Not a strong musical connection, but neither was Li Ling Si Han, and both songs are decent enough that it's forgiveable. It would be tricky to find a Phoenician song.

I found another Ugaritic Hymn melody which seems to be the basis of Charlemagne's theme in Civ4, strangely enough...

I found another Ugaritic Hymn melody which seems to be the basis of Charlemagne's theme in Civ4, strangely enough...
Ah, which one?

No idea what to put under Carthage :undecide:, plus Hurrians/Mitanni will likely never be added to Civ6. Was Ugarit a Phoenician city in the past?
Surviving Carthaginian melodies is non-existent, not sure where to look for reasonably old Jewish music, any suggestions?
Ugarit was not Phoenician, but linguistically they were intermediate between Canaanite and Aramaic and culturally they were closely related to their Canaanite neighbors. As for old Jewish music, I've seen some claims for the antiquity of "Ashir Shirim," but I can't find any scholarship to substantiate them. It definitely has an ancient sound to it, though.

I see the claim on Wikipedia, but I can't see anything there to substantiate it. She seems to be the Ugaritic interpretation of a Babylonian goddess.

(I'm willing to overlook "Li Ling Si Han" because it was one of the loveliest themes in Civ5. :D )

There are some sites I found via Google that discuss Phoenicia's connection to Nikkal:

http://phoenicia.org/music.html -> This site connects Nikkal to Phoenicia without really explaining why. Interesting musical notes though. Has some other suggestions for Phoenicia's music too!

A Google book, Encyclopedia of Gods and Goddesses of Mesopotamia Phoenicia ..., Volume 2 by Maximillien De Lafayette, states on p. 89 that Nanna, the moon god, was known as Nikkal in Phoenician and Aramaic.

http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Misc/Canaan/Canaan_religion.htm states that "Nikkal-and-Ib" was 'great lady and clear/bright/fruit' or 'Great goddess of fruit' (Ningal)

Not very reputable sources per se, so they might be echoing each other, but there seems to be some vague Internet consensus that Nikkal was a goddess in Phoenicia (and married to the moon god).

[Agreed on Li Ling Si Han, by the way. I can't count the number of times I listened to Attila's war theme outside of Civ V]

Nanna, the moon god, was known as Nikkal in Phoenician and Aramaic.
Strange, since Nana/Nin was male.

Thanks for the sources, though. I suppose Nikkal does have some tenuous connection with Phoenicia at least, albeit probably via Ugarit. (The Phoenicians were pretty religiously diverse. There are a good number of Phoenician theophoric names invoking Osiris, Isis, and Amon, for example, mostly from Carthage but also from Canaan.)

There are some sites I found via Google that discuss Phoenicia's connection to Nikkal:

http://phoenicia.org/music.html -> This site connects Nikkal to Phoenicia without really explaining why. Interesting musical notes though. Has some other suggestions for Phoenicia's music too!

A Google book, Encyclopedia of Gods and Goddesses of Mesopotamia Phoenicia ..., Volume 2 by Maximillien De Lafayette, states on p. 89 that Nanna, the moon god, was known as Nikkal in Phoenician and Aramaic.

http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Misc/Canaan/Canaan_religion.htm states that "Nikkal-and-Ib" was 'great lady and clear/bright/fruit' or 'Great goddess of fruit' (Ningal)

Not very reputable sources per se, so they might be echoing each other, but there seems to be some vague Internet consensus that Nikkal was a goddess in Phoenicia (and married to the moon god).

[Agreed on Li Ling Si Han, by the way. I can't count the number of times I listened to Attila's war theme outside of Civ V]

A song similar to Charlemagne's themes can be downloaded from the first site.

Found it--Ugaritic Hymn. Wonder why it was used for Charlemagne. Strange. Maybe some sort of musical in-joke.

Found it--Ugaritic Hymn. Wonder why it was used for Charlemagne. Strange. Maybe some sort of musical in-joke.

I could ask one of Civ4's composers. That would be interesting.

Top Bottom