Muslim hypocrisy?

Winner

Diverse in Unity
So, few cartoons depicting Muhammad in a "blasphemous" way caused this:

Muslims around the world are "shocked" and "angry", some of them calling for kidnappings:
Palestinian officials said the gunmen were threatening to kidnap European workers if the European Union did not apologize.

...and some of them for war:
SAUDI ARABIA'S AL-WATAN

Any attempt by the European press to show solidarity with the Danish newspaper... will be considered as a very dangerous move aimed at igniting a large-scale international religious war.

Once again, I'll say that this all is caused by few, in my opinion very weak, cartoons:

(the rest of these drawings is here: http://www.uriasposten.net/pics/JP-011005-Muhammed-Westerga.jpg )

Now, remember something that other Muslims did in the name of Islam?

Beheading...

... and bombings?

------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now, my question is - where are the angry masses of Muslims, burning Osama pictures and yealling "Death to al-Qaeda" or "Death to terrorism!"? Where are the clerics issuing fatwas against terrorism and calling for death of all terrorists?

Why they don't denounce terrorism at least as vigorously, as they denounce couple of stupid cartoons in Western newspapers?

I find it utterly hypocritic and actually as a proof, they they in fact at least tolerate terrorism, if it is aimed against the hated Israel, US, Europe, India, whatever.

EDIT: that's how the reasonable Muslims end up in Arab world:

In Jordan, an independent tabloid, al-Shihan,
reprinted three of the cartoons on Thursday,
saying people should know what they were protesting about.

The newspaper's editor, Jihad Momani, urged the world's
Muslims to "be reasonable" in their response to the drawings.

The editorial, written by Editor Jihad Momeni
-- a former Jordanian senator -- asked:
"Who offends Islam more? A foreigner who
endeavors to draw the prophet as described
by his followers in the world, or a Muslim with
an explosive belt who commits suicide in
a wedding party in Amman or elsewhere."

The paper's publishers sacked him hours
later over the "shock" he had caused,

Jordan's official Petra news agency reported.

(disclaimer: before you start bashing me for racism, read the first post carefully again. I don't thing that all Muslims are enemies and I don't hold any personal grudge against those, who are reasonable. There is plenty of them both in the Middle East and in the West. Unfortunately, as it appears the radical Islamism is gaining momentum and increasing majority of Muslims is now openly anti-Western, as demonstrated by this cartoon row)

Disusting, they're putting footstamps over the proud Danish flag and other European symbols? WE should surely threaten them all with death ... and carry it out.

btw nice argument Winner, and no theres no way one can argue against it without declaring their values subservient to those of the muslim faith.

Bout time some people woke up... funny when it starts happening in your backyard huh? Welcome to the post 9/11 world.

And those who are reasonable in Arab/Muslim world pay for their efforts to fight the hypocrisy I am talking about here:

In Jordan, an independent tabloid, al-Shihan, reprinted three of the cartoons on Thursday, saying people should know what they were protesting about.

The newspaper's editor, Jihad Momani, urged the world's Muslims to "be reasonable" in their response to the drawings.

The editorial, written by Editor Jihad Momeni -- a former Jordanian senator -- asked: "Who offends Islam more? A foreigner who endeavors to draw the prophet as described by his followers in the world, or a Muslim with an explosive belt who commits suicide in a wedding party in Amman or elsewhere."

The paper's publishers sacked him hours later over the "shock" he had caused, Jordan's official Petra news agency reported.

In my mind, it comes down to the fact you are dealing with people who are stuck in some sort of religous mindset. The Muslim world si all jacked up on many levels when compaired to the west. Is god going to make your nation compeditive and productive on the world stage? chances are not really. Education and a much more stable, less religous self rule will. Only time will tell.

Is god going to make your nation compeditive and productive on the world stage? chances are not really. Education and a much more stable, less religous self rule will. Only time will tell.
The problem is that just that happened - Muhammed came along in Allah's name, kickstarted the Middle East, and it was ahead of Europe for hundreds of years. They're still trying to get to grips with the fact that they aren't ahead any more.

Muhammed came along in Allah's name, kickstarted the Middle East, and it was ahead of Europe for hundreds of years. They're still trying to get to grips with the fact that they aren't ahead any more.

It's been like... six hundred years? :mischief:

This sums it up pretty good:

Most people in the west know Islam by what we observe. We see killers fly planes into buildings, take over schools, blow up, behead and murder innocent people, including children. The killers commit these crimes under the authority of a religion - Islam. A cartoon shows Mohamed with a bomb in his turban. Muslims are mad at the wrong people. The killers are now the image of Islam. If the killers are not the true representatives of Islam, then Muslim furor should be directed at the killers.

Chuck Green, Dallas, Texas, USA

Think of it this way: The islamic religion has been around for about 1300 years, and christianity has been for 2000 years. Imagine what a similiar image of jesus would have caused in the 1300's? I'd guess the same sort of reaction. Give it another 700 years and they'll be as calm as we are ;)

Great Oppening Post. For the past few years it had seemed like the majority of muslims were good people. As much as I am sure that is the case, I am begining to lose hope in that opinion.

Bronx Warlord said:
Bout time some people woke up... funny when it starts happening in your backyard huh? Welcome to the post 9/11 world.

its called directed hatred

When saddam carried out brutal killings of fellow muslim. There was no outrage, no screaming hysteria and violence.

A brutal secterian violence in Darfu, civil war and large scale deaths, apathey.from UN and rest of the world

Bronx Warlord said:
It's been like... six hundred years? :mischief:
Try less than two hundred. Industrial Revolution, 1800. Up until then, the Middle East wasn't backward, only classy. From the other thread:
Verbose said:
It's all a pretty frightening spectacle. It's a ME no longer placid and peaceful (you know, that stereotypical unchanging eternal Orient that 19th c. Europeans would get dreamy-eyed about), but wracked with the internal pains of some kind of open-ended process that can turn out either way.
Sitting on so much oil has also insulated them from modern reality quite a while. We've been more than happy to sell them all our gadgetry, and so they could rationalize that Allah gave them oil so that we westerners would manufacture stuff for their benefit. Either way, they were rich and prosperous, and it's only lately (post-WWII) that we've started asking them to respect us and our way of living. Obviously this is rather difficult.

Paasky said:
Think of it this way: The islamic religion has been around for about 1300 years, and christianity has been for 2000 years. Imagine what a similiar image of jesus would have caused in the 1300's? I'd guess the same sort of reaction. Give it another 700 years and they'll be as calm as we are ;)
Middle Ages Europe, anyone? I'll grant you that Christianity was intolerant at the time, but Islam has apparently changed for the worse, if at all, and doesn't want to change. I think I'll call the problem "oil inertia" and take grants for making public speeches about it.;)

Good points Erik

Wait till that petrochemical lollypop runs out and then watch that region turn into mad max.

I don't know why Mohammad is depicted as a terrorist in atleast one of those cartoons. He was actually a man of peace. So I understand the anger caused by atleast some of the images, but I also think that the actions of some of the muslims caused by the cartoons are largely exaggerated.

And it's a little bit funny, that now the christians feel being terrorize by the muslims, when 1000 years ago it was way more than the opposite of the current situation.

Winner, you are RIGHT ON TARGET! As stupid and provocative the drawings are, any reasonable muslim should see them as very minor compared to terror.

In Germany, meanwhile:
Der Vorsitzende des Zentralrats der Muslime in Deutschland, Nadeem Elyas, bezeichnete die Karikaturen als Provokation. Die Bilder zeigten den Propheten Mohammed in "entwürdigender Weise". Alle Proteste seien "legitim, solange sie gewaltfrei bleiben", sagte Elyas der "Welt".

'The leader of the Central Muslim Comittee in germany, Nadeem Elyas, called hte cartoons 'a provocation'. They show, he claimed, 'Mohammed in a denigrating way'. All protests are Älegitimate, as long as they stay non-violent'. (from the 'Welt', Germany daily newspaper).

He is clearly trying to find middle ground here. Elyas was the guy who repetedly and forcefully denounced terrorism, asked his countrymen to help fight sleeper cells and not to aid Islmaci organizations finacially if the donor wasn't sure the money was used for peaceful means.

aaglo said:
I don't know why Mohammad is depicted as a terrorist in atleast one of those cartoons. He was actually a man of peace.

Well, many terrorists invoke HIS name, and name HIS war activities as their leading example. it doesn't matter what kind of person someone actually was or is, it matters how he is perceived.

(I disagree with that, but that's how one could argue)

Why they don't denounce terrorism at least as vigorously, as they denounce couple of stupid cartoons in Western newspapers?

For the same reason, that no "civilized" western forum members on this very forum don't denouce la cosa nostra posting

la cosa nostra[B said:
]... WE should surely threaten them all with death ... and carry it out... [/B]

:lol: :lol:

carlosMM said:
Well, many terrorists invoke HIS name, and name HIS war activities as their leading example. it doesn't matter what kind of person someone actually was or is, it matters how he is perceived.

Same can be said about Jesus&Crusaders.

nice to see stupidity reigns supreme on both sides.

people never fail to be predictable. :)

HannibalBarka said:

For the same reason, that no "civilized" western forum members on this very forum don't denouce la cosa nostra posting

:lol: :lol:

It appears that the concept of sarcasm is as foreign to you as freedom of speech is to an islamist.

Top Bottom