Muslim-Jew Hatred

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex994

Hail Divine Emperor!
During an arguement in the NES thread, i've decided to ask you ppl this, when did the hatred between the Jews and Muslims begin?

Not familiar with 1800's Zionism but I'd say the current anti-hebrewism started at whatever point Zionists started to very actively pursue their goal of a Jewish state in the holy land.

I would have to agree, though my knowledge on this is quite limited. Muslims and Arabs were more concerned about Christians this past millenium because of things coming out of the Crusades and perhaps the religious conflicts when the Ottomans started creeping toward Central Europe.

However, I've heard things were mostly peaceful, with most members of both communities, as Jewish people moved into Palestine. It was after Zionist leaders really lobbied for a Jewish state there did the powder keg explode.

Before the 1900s, I suppose there was not enough steam behind the Zionist movement to really bother anyone living around Jerusalem. But the momentum shifted, especially with the post World War II ramifications and the flocks of Jews that moved into modern-day Israel.

aaminion00 said:
Not familiar with 1800's Zionism but I'd say the current anti-hebrewism started at whatever point Zionists started to very actively pursue their goal of a Jewish state in the holy land.
I agree, there were no real problems between them unit then.

It depends... I think that it was mounting on since 1930s and the first disturbs againt Jews sttlers in palestine. But it was, for instance, not until 1950s and 1960s (specially after the 6-day war) that the jews communities in all the Arab countries started to suffer massive retaliation.

Sarevok said:
I agree, there were no real problems between them unit then.
ust this most recent..."episode"....I'm sure there were other times, but the actions of about 100 years plus ago sparked an even more hateful relationship, more than had probably existed the 100 years prior to these events.

I'll admit I don't have a clue what may have started the hateful relationship from the start, though I can't imagine it's very far after the death of Muhammed.

I'd agree that the trouble began in earnest around the turn of the twentieth century. It heated up gradually after the British, in their infinite wisdom began promising Palestine to both parties in return for support in WWI and later WWII :sad:

That did help...though tensions were high right before Israeli statehood. On the scale thorugh the first half of the 20th century, things were relatively calm and quiet for perhaps the first 30 years, if not even the first 40 years or more.

This may help to shed some light on the recent confrontation:

Wikipedia

Palestinian opposition to Jewish immigration

During the 1920s, 100,000 Jewish immigrants entered Palestine, and 6,000 non-Jewish immigrants did so as well. Immigration was controlled by the General Federation of Jewish Labour, which selected between applicants on the grounds of their political creed. Land purchased by Jewish agencies was leased on the condition that it be worked only by Jewish labour, and that the lease should not be held by non-Jews.

Initially Jewish immigration to Palestine met little opposition from the local Arabs. However, as anti-Semitism grew in Europe during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Jewish immigration (mostly from Europe) to Palestine began to markedly increase, to much Arab resentment.

There was violent opposition from the Palestinian population at large. In some cases, land purchases by the Jewish agencies from absentee landlords led to the eviction of the Palestinian tenants, who were replaced by the Jewish kibbutzim. The Palestinians had prior to World War I had the status of peasants (felaheen), and did not own their land although they might own the trees that grew on that land. When Jews, who grew up with European laws, purchased land they did not always realise that the villagers on that land owned the trees. This was often a source of misunderstanding and conflict. The olive tree is particularly important here as it can remain productive for over 1,000 years.

The British government put severe limitations on Jewish immigration to Palestine. Immigration was allowed, but up to a certain quota. Both Arabs and Jews disliked this policy, each side for its own reasons. Tensions lead to widespread violent disturbances on several occasions, notably in 1921, 1929 and 1936-1939. The 1929 disturbances were primarily violent attacks by Arabs on Jews (see Hebron). For 1936-9 see the following section. In response to numerous Palestinian Arab attacks on Jewish communities, the Haganah was formed on June 15th, 1920. Beginning in 1936, several Jewish groups such as Etzel (Irgun) and Lehi (Stern Gang) conducted their own campaign of violence against British and Arab targets.

Great Uprising

Main article: Great Uprising

In 1936 the British proposed a partition between Jewish and Arab areas, which was rejected by both the Arabs and the Zionist Congress.

In 1936-1939 the mandate experienced an upsurge in militant Arab nationalism, that became known as the Great Uprising. The Palestinian Arabs felt they were being marginalized in their own country, but in addition to non-violent strikes they resorted to terrorism, that left hundreds of Jews dead. The Jewish organization Etzel replied with its own terrorist campaign, with marketplace bombings and other violent acts that killed hundreds. Eventually, the uprising was put down by the British, with the help of the Jewish self-defence organization, Haganah.

The British placed restrictions on Jewish land purchases in the remaining land, allegedly contradicting the provision of the Mandate which said "the Administration of Palestine ... shall encourage, in cooperation with the Jewish Agency ... close settlement by Jews on the land, including State lands and waste lands not acquired for public purposes." According to the Israeli side, the British had by 1949 allotted over 8500 acres (34 km²) to Arabs, and about 4000 acres (16 km²) to Jews.

We would have to do more digging to find any hatred that existed before that mess started. I'm sure it's there though, but this is the recent history.

The Arabs were the people of Abraham's first son, Ishmael, by his servant-girl Hagar. The Hebrews were the people of his second son, Isaac, who was Abraham's child by his wife Sarah. According to the Arabs, Ishmael was the one Abraham almost sacrificed to God, while Judeo-Christian belief holds that Isaac was the one. Both peoples claim to be the 'heirs' of Abraham: Muslims because Ishmael was the first-born, and Jews because Isaac was the son of Abraham's wife. There's been a spirit of almost 'sibling rivalry' long before this past century.

That's family for you. But islam didn't enter into it originally. The old Jahveh-worshipping Hebrews and the pre-islamic polytheistic Arabs agreed that they were family.
Besides, most moslems in the world aren't Arabs anyway. And quite a good chunk of the Palestinians are christians.

It started with the Jewish immigration to Palestine. Before then, the Muslims tolerated pretty much every religion, and still probably do, mostly. Its those few fanatical crazy ones that hit the news stories.

The Qu'ran preaches tolerance for Jews. During the crusades, the Jews of Palestine fought with the Moslems against the Christains. Throughout most of Muslim world, Jews were perhaps second-class citizens but allowed to worship freely and become successes in government or commerce. In more modern times, it's really no secret that the Jews were shown favoritism by Western nations who had to support either the Jewish or Muslim factions in the holy land. Whenever a lower class rises to a position of dominance over their former rulers, bad blood ignites...

NankingDan said:
During the crusades, the Jews of Palestine fought with the Moslems against the Christains.
The C in C of the moslem kingdom of Grenada was a Jewish general in the years of war leading up to its fall in 1492.

Moslem sentiments about Jews at that time can perhaps be summed up by the comment the Ottoman sultan made on hearing the news that the Spanish were expelling all Jews: "Such a loss for Spain, but what a gain for us!" :D

Verbose said:
Besides, most moslems in the world aren't Arabs anyway. And quite a good chunk of the Palestinians are christians.

That made me realize something, what does this thread title mean, "Muslim" Jew hatred?? Arab Jew hatred maybe but anti-hebrewism isn't really any more popular in many parts of the Muslim world than in the West.

Verbose said:
That's family for you. But islam didn't enter into it originally. The old Jahveh-worshipping Hebrews and the pre-islamic polytheistic Arabs agreed that they were family.

Very true, the term Semitic actually refers to Arabs, Jews/Israelites, Phillistines, Persians, Phonecians and many others. The Arabs and Israelites are actually "brothers in a common race". However, we can see that the French and British are both white and throughout history have never gotten along, so there is truth to Verbose's statement. Brother and Brother are often chief enemies. Look at Ireland or Korea...

Phillistines, Persians

No, the Phillistines were Sea People, who came from western (at least from the Palestine point of view) regions of the Mediterranean. The Persians were/are part of the Indo-European or Indo-Iranian people. If you're talking about the population of Iran before 1700 BC, then you're probably right.

The Iranians/Persians ethnolinguistically are more in the same group as the Indians and Europeans while the Semitic ethno-linguistic group if I recall includes the Arabs, various mesopotamian tongues and peoples, the Hittites, the Hebrews, and the Phoenicians (from whom we got our modern alphabet).

aaminion00 said:
That made me realize something, what does this thread title mean, "Muslim" Jew hatred?? Arab Jew hatred maybe but anti-hebrewism isn't really any more popular in many parts of the Muslim world than in the West.
I think we're all assuming and talking about the radical segments of the populations that have true disdain for everyone of the other group.

Most Muslims in the world are either Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis (same bunch really) or Indonesians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom