1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Must have been a tsunami

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Valen, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

I have been playing civ1 almost from the beginning and I just had something new happen to me. The announcement at the beginning of city check had the usual disaster report: Earthquake in Capua, Mfg Plant destroyed.
    I just figured well, that's the breaks, but when I looked in the city, I had lost the Mfg Plant, the Nuclear Plant and the Recycling Ctr in one shot:cry:.

Has anyone else noticed that an earthquake can take out more than one building?

2. Mize

Mize Warlord

Just posting to confirm this. Happened to me today. No power plant though, I had the Hoover Dam. I don't think anything else was missing from the city besides the MFG plant and the RC, so the question now is if the same thing also happens with the factory, and whether there are other building combinations that get wiped out in a disaster... On a sidenote, has someone noticed any pattern in the loss of city improvements when a city gets taken over?

3. Whelkman

Whelkman Phantom Taxman

A possible explanation is that a disaster will apply a percentage or percentages of destruction to all buildings but only display the first destroyed. This may or may not be intentional. It's also possible that there's bad math involving high/low bits and bitwise and/or/rotate etc.

4. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

That's bad.... Now it's maany years since I played Civ1, but I don't recall ever losing more than one building.

I miss the occasional disasters in Civ 2. "Build a Temple to avoid volcano"... lol it's so silly I just love it and miss it. :D

5. darkpanda

darkpanda Dark Prince

Just a quick post to notify that this behaviour was elucidated as an apprent bug within the CIV code: if your Mfg Plant is destroyed by an earthquake or fire, then all SDI, power/nuke/hydro plants and recycling centre are destroyed as well.

Full details available here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12762768#post12762768