"Must have" titles for PS3?

Jouzou

Warlord
For quite some time, I've lagged almost one full generation behind when it comes to gaming. This trend seems to continue since I just now got myself a brand new PS3. The one positive thing about being a luddite is that there is a well-established game library for the old hardware. I've already made a shopping list of games I'll eventually want to play. What I'd like you guys to do is to chime in and tell me if there are some "must have" titles that I'm missing here.

Okay, here goes:

Spoiler :
- Batman: Arkham Asylum + Arkham City
- Bioshock series
- Deus Ex Human Revolution
- Fallout 3 + New Vegas
- GTA 4 + mission packs
- GTA 5 (once it comes out)
- Just Cause 2
- Metal Gear Solid 4 (the main reason I chose PS3)
- Portal 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Saint's Row 2
- Skyrim

In all honesty, these alone will probably keep me occupied for many, many hours, but I'd still like to hear your recommendations.

Skyrim seems like something that would be better on pc, just because of the mods.

Journey might be worth looking at as well, although I haven't really played it yet myself.

Skyrim seems like something that would be better on pc, just because of the mods.

Journey might be worth looking at as well, although I haven't really played it yet myself.

This. Bethesda games are best played on a PC for the options and modifications that are available. Though, I can understand still wanting to play those games if you don't have a PC that can run them.

If you're into sports, the NHL games are pretty cool. Little Big Planet can be a bit of quirky fun if you have a friend with you.

Playing Skyrim or Fallout on PS3 is a waste of time and money. Play them on PC. If you have to play a game on PS3, play the exclusives that matter: Uncharted, Last of Us, Heavy Rain, etc.

Except for Metal Gear Solid and Red Dead Redemption (and possibly gta5) all of those can be played on pc and will probably be better and cheaper. Do you have a new enough pc to run them?

I'd basically look at all the ps3 exclusive titles, definitely throw The Last of Us in there. It's only a month old I think getting awesome reviews. Also the Uncharted series looks great.

Like others have said, most worthy games are available on PC... That being said, for PS3 exclusives...

Ni No Kuni, although a J-RPG, is pretty good.
Red Dead Redemption
Last of Us
err... Maybe the Little Big Planet games.

Basically I have nothing to add to what others have said except Ni No Kuni.

Good choices:
- Batman: Arkham Asylum + Arkham City
- Deus Ex Human Revolution
- Just Cause 2 (does run very well on PC and has mods, but I find the aiming/sensitivity quite awkward with a mouse)
- Metal Gear Solid 4
- Red Dead Redemption
- Saint's Row 2 (also SR3, although it does kind of jump the shark on purpose)
- Portal 2 (iirc if you buy it on PS3 you also get it added to your Steam account for PC)
- Uncharted series
- The Last of Us (getting really good reviews, I'm sure it isn't perfect but it looks like a safe buy)
- Dishonored (great game, I tried to take a stealthier route although the game does not force you to, it also runs great on PC)
- inFamous (pretty fun game, I haven't played the second one but I haven't heard anything bad about it either)

Maybes:
- Asura's Wrath (a bit less of a game and more of a lot of interactive cut scenes with a lot of button pressing and QTEs broken up with some fighting, it is absolutely hilarious though and a lot of fun although it lacks replayability. Try to pick up used or cheap)
- Brütal Legend (fun game with lots of humour and hilarious over the top heavy metal themes, not the best game gameplay wise but its fun. May be hit orm iss for some people though)
- L.A. Noire (I haven't played it yet but I've heard mixed thoughts about it, but it seems decent and is probably worth picking up on the cheap)
- Mirror's Edge (also available for PC, gets down to like $5 on Steam, runs great)

Do NOT get Skyrim or Fallout for the PS3, the former has issues simply running well and both of them have a massive amount of mods (some of which are pretty much necessary to fix many issues in the games and generally vastly improve them). You're really getting half a product if you get them on the console.

@Honkoid - It is. I really should pick that up myself come to think of it, never played them.

Gran Turismo 5 if you are a racing fan. That one is kind of obvious.

Little Big Planet is cartoony to a fault but a really fun platformer. Also a must if you were a fan of Minecraft or that type of game.

Uncharted. It's very similar to Tomb Raider from what I've heard, and a great exclusive. 1 was real early and kind of rough, 2 was amazing. Simply amazing. 3 lost a little magic, but was still a very good game worth your money.

I always enjoyed the Ratchet and Clank Future series. Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time are both PS exclusives and great games. Quest for Booty is the interim title that is downloadable-only, though I haven't played that one. I suppose they would be a third-person shooter, though that isn't quite right.

The new XCOM plays equally well on PS3 and PC, you can get it in either place.

NEVER get Bethesda games on console, as they have no mods, and Skyrim in particular is notoriously flaky on the PS3.

Assassin's Creed is a great series if you haven't played it on PC already. Assassin's Creed III was the worst I thought. You can probably skip the original Assassin's Creed, as it was inferior in every way I can think of to number 2, and the story of the franchise didn't really take off until 2. You might even get 1 for free if you get Assassin's Creed: Revelations. They used to pack the original in with that game.

inFamous is a good game, but overrated in my opinion. Worth it on a discount which it will obviously have by now.

LA Noire is really fun but what's it cost on ps3? You can get it around $5 on a steam sale and it runs just fine on pc. There's not a lot of action so controls are a non issue. Again most these games are just cheaper on pc if you find the sales, like Dues Ex: Human Revolution was ~$3 on steam this week. I've played the batman titles on pc and the controls are very fluid, I have an xbox 360 gamepad for pc and I find no downside going to keyboard/mouse.

If you're into strategy RPG's at all, the biggest one that comes to mind is Valkyria Chronicles.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 and Dead Space 1 and 2 (I haven't tried 3 yet) are also must haves. Again they run great on pc as well. I guess your pick whether you like using mouse/keyboard or a controller.

You can get the full trilogy, including number 1, on PSN IIRC, making it equal to the Xbox version.

I considered mass effect 2 and 3 (1 is average at best) must have games and they are available for ps3. But I'd play them on pc given the choice.

Top Bottom