1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Must promote before end of turn" WTF???

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mmmfloorpie, May 18, 2011.

1. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

I want to abide by MY limits, not some brain-dead 20-something's half thought through crap. :)

edit; son of a - i put my cigarette out in my "full" beer 'cause my cat jumped in my lap. Can I reload for that?

2. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

Well, it's in options. So they are your limits. That aside, if that's the case, why run Civ when you could run Worldbuilder instead. That's about the only way that you're not playing with said 20-somethings' constraints (but even then, you are).

Hyperbole? Of course, but it gets the point across. :D

3. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

Okay.... so you're saying reloading for the beer thing is acceptable, though?

4. The_Quasar

The_Quasar King

I never save promotions, and only very rarely use the inta-heal... to me, it seems like a waste of the opportunity to give the unit a "real" promotion. My usual reaction to a unit that is low in the red is to withdraw it, give it a "real" promotion, then heal it in the normal way... that way I have a better unit in the future.

Because of the above, I regard inta-healing as something that tends to be used by newbies on low difficulty levels... more advanced players, on higher levels will not waste the opportunity of a "real" promotion.

I don't see it as too powerful, I regard it as something that helps poor play, with the penalty/balancer that a "real" promotion is missed. Later on in a game, the missed opportunities for "real" promotions can bite back at higher difficulties.

Bottom line is that in the end it's your game, and YOU make the rules. How you play is up to you, and no one else should criticize you. They may not agree with you, but that's their right too.

@Randall Turner
    The solution to your problem is to give up smoking :p

5. Montov

Montov King

I like the current system of not saving, and it is great the option is there for people who want to save promotions.

6. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

...you guys know there's an option that allows promotion saving, right? Why whine about a part of the game you can freely change?

7. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

Just my opinion but if I was in the military, and had earned a promotion. I'd want it right away, not 50 or 100 or 500 years later. :)

8. Babri

Babri Emperor

Logically promotion choosing in the same turn is right. Armies are trained/specialized before going on battlefield instead of choosing promos when they face the enemy & specialize at that instant. :p This also encourages future planning. Policy saving is however annoying at times.

9. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

This. Lets be done with this, shall we?

10. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

They were right to address policy saving; they just did it in a terrible way. As it is now, you either have to micromanage your buns off or you risk getting a policy pick two turns before you get the tech you needed to unlock your next policy, then spend 30 turns reaching your next policy. If they would have kept you from accruing more culture points until you made your selection, they would have fixed the problem (yes it was a powerful tool, but it completely de-balanced the entire SP system) without penalizing you for not getting just the perfect amount of culture. Punishing players for reaching a goal a turn too early is awful design.