Mutiple maps download Beta:

I thought we could thrash out ideas of best to use it here while keeping the authors thread for bugs etc, is there a concept in place for how to implement for C2C?.

I thought we could thrash out ideas of best to use it here while keeping the authors thread for bugs etc, is there a concept in place for how to implement for C2C?.

The last four or so pages in the Galactic Era thread are basically that, with the eventual conclusion that we needed to wait for this before going further. Any ideas you have will be welcome there.

Ok, but i rarely get out of the Middle ages....do we need to wait till the space age to use multi maps?.

Since the number of civs and map size determine much of our experience of the game ( more and bigger means slower), would not moving from one map to another be a counter to that issue, say for instance from Eurasia map ( Old world) containing a fixed number of civs for that map, to new world which opens up new civs and new lands, and so on to the stars, its too good a thing to have to wait till the space age to use methinks. And could help solve lag due while playing.

Just thinking out loud mind you as ive yet to look at what it can do. Each map must be the same size, so does that create a problem with saves?, will the save file be eating up time when generated, even while the unused maps are unpopulated?, or rather the first map starts populated, and the next could be populated acording to diff level with animals first and then Ai civs

I could also think of a Jules-Verne-like cavern-system quest map, available with alternative timelines game option. Entries on North Pole, South Pole and Himalaya^^

And what about some real mining? Imagine with multiple maps you can send your worker on a hill, press "mine hill and your worker gets teleported underground, having to search for the resources there. In this minigame there may be some risks involved for the worker, like bats or clouds of gasses he has to avoid. And the best: this pacman-esque minigame with pac being the worker and iron the cherry would get faster and harder with difficulty, so no human would ever win deity again, if not stealing iron mines from another AI^^

Ok, excuse my nonsense was just happy about all the progress that's waiting to break like a pregnant womens water. [pimp]

Ok, but i rarely get out of the Middle ages....do we need to wait till the space age to use multi maps?.

Since the number of civs and map size determine much of our experience of the game ( more and bigger means slower), would not moving from one map to another be a counter to that issue, say for instance from Eurasia map ( Old world) containing a fixed number of civs for that map, to new world which opens up new civs and new lands, and so on to the stars, its too good a thing to have to wait till the space age to use methinks. And could help solve lag due while playing.

Just thinking out loud mind you as ive yet to look at what it can do. Each map must be the same size, so does that create a problem with saves?, will the save file be eating up time when generated, even while the unused maps are unpopulated?, or rather the first map starts populated, and the next could be populated acording to diff level with animals first and then Ai civs

The first maps we will be using are Lunar, Mars and Galactic. Any other maps such as underwater/underground or your suggestions would be discussed later. The reason for this is the Galactic Era cannot be what it is without these multi-maps. Thus they have priority over any other kinds of muti-map applications.

Hydro that makes sense.
Since a map must be the same size, did you consider putting Lunar and Earth on the same map?. Earth and the moon are i think combined still smaller than Mars.

The first maps we will be using are Lunar, Mars and Galactic. Any other maps such as underwater/underground or your suggestions would be discussed later. The reason for this is the Galactic Era cannot be what it is without these multi-maps. Thus they have priority over any other kinds of muti-map applications.

Of course, but it might be interesting to have a beta map that isn't mars or moon but a simple duell map size underground map for testing purposes that the SVN users could have during the beautifying of the real maps, getting their final cut. That's why I suggested that mining-mini-game. Test-featuring may help getting more people involved to get work done even faster, maybe faster as if the investment to build a test-feature is not made ---speakign in c2c: building a nut cracking stone takes 5 turns. Before completing it, your city would grow in 179 turns. After completing it it grows in 161 turns. You get 18 turns of hammers from the new tile (if you would have used the hammers for not building the stoned crackers nut or whatever^^) which pays off the hammer investment for the the nut cracking stone as well as gives extra benefit for the next growth of the city etc. pp. So... a minimod test feature may be very well worth it, just sayin' :groucho:

Hydro that makes sense.
Since a map must be the same size, did you consider putting Lunar and Mars on the same map?. Mars and the moon are i think combined still smaller than the earth.

Maps can be made to be smaller using blank barrier tiles that no unit can move onto. Thus allowing for say a Lunar or even Mars map to have less tiles to use than the Earth map.

However the Galactic map will have to be the same size as the Earth map. However in theory we could add multiple galaxy maps. However that would be something to discuss later.

Of course, but it might be interesting to have a beta map that isn't mars or moon but a simple duell map size underground map for testing purposes that the SVN users could have during the beautifying of the real maps, getting their final cut. That's why I suggested that mining-mini-game. Test-featuring may help getting more people involved to get work done even faster, maybe faster as if the investment to build a test-feature is not made ---speakign in c2c: building a nut cracking stone takes 5 turns. Before completing it, your city would grow in 179 turns. After completing it it grows in 161 turns. You get 18 turns of hammers from the new tile (if you would have used the hammers for not building the stoned crackers nut or whatever^^) which pays off the hammer investment for the the nut cracking stone as well as gives extra benefit for the next growth of the city etc. pp. So... a minimod test feature may be very well worth it, just sayin' :groucho:

Well the first test maps will use C2C terrain to make sure it works. Even if its all grass. Its only when the multi-maps works that we can start adding the custom space terrains.

EDIT: On a side note if we are talking about the possibilities of multi-maps we could possibly have a "City View" map where you could build "buildings" on the map via improvements. Note this is WAY out there but its still a cool idea to think about.

Earth and the moon are i think combined still smaller than Mars.
Ah, no.

Mars is much smaller than the Earth - barely over half the diameter. The Earth is the largest of the rocky (non gas giant) planets in the solar system (it also has the highest density - combining those two things gives it the highest surface gravity, too).

Surfaces areas (the relevant statistic for maps of them):
Earth = 510,072,000 square km
Mars = 144,798,500 square km (0.284 Earths)
Moon = 37,930,000 square km (0.074 Earths)

if we are talking about the possibilities of multi-maps we could possibly have a "City View" map where you could build "buildings" on the map via improvements. Note this is WAY out there but its still a cool idea to think about.

Yay! You send your worker into the city and he has to gather wood and rocks there much like Anno or Settler style lol really cool idea, so much becomes possible,
I feel like today civ4 turned 42 and confessed to have become a born-again civian :crazyeye:

Maps can be made to be smaller using blank barrier tiles that no unit can move onto. Thus allowing for say a Lunar or even Mars map to have less tiles to use than the Earth map.

However the Galactic map will have to be the same size as the Earth map. However in theory we could add multiple galaxy maps. However that would be something to discuss later.

Well the first test maps will use C2C terrain to make sure it works. Even if its all grass. Its only when the multi-maps works that we can start adding the custom space terrains.

EDIT: On a side note if we are talking about the possibilities of multi-maps we could possibly have a "City View" map where you could build "buildings" on the map via improvements. Note this is WAY out there but its still a cool idea to think about.

I would be generally against adding extra maps when we have other ways of handling a mechanic, becuase although another map does not affect the graphics memory, it DOES increase the amount of normal memory used, and that is not generally a good thing.

Ah, no.

Mars is much smaller than the Earth - barely over half the diameter. The Earth is the largest of the rocky (non gas giant) planets in the solar system (it also has the highest density - combining those two things gives it the highest surface gravity, too).

Surfaces areas (the relevant statistic for maps of them):
Earth = 510,072,000 square km
Mars = 144,798,500 square km (0.284 Earths)
Moon = 37,930,000 square km (0.074 Earths)

See the time stamp on the edit please. Hydro replied to a post in progress, so sorry for confusion.
Ps, ta for the sq kilo thats usefull, so Mars Moon could be a corridor shaped map moving past the Moon to Mars then, with empty tiles to either side. Seems a shame not to use those empty tiles tho.

Having watched John Carpenter recently, you just spoiled it for me with your gravity info.

The empty tiles could be asteroid fields and would be used much like islands and seas on Island and Archipelago maps for example.

JosEPh

The empty tiles could be asteroid fields and would be used much like islands and seas on Island and Archipelago maps for example.

JosEPh

That is a VERY good idea! On Mars, the empty area could house Phobos and Deimos, the two moons of Mars.

Based on diameters ...

Earth = 12,713 km
Venus = 12,100 km
Mars = 6,792 km
Titan = 5,150 km
Moon = 3,474 km
Europa = 3,122 km
Phobos = 22.2 km
Deimos = 12.6 km

Thus in one map we could have not only Mars and the Moon but Mars' moons, and other moons. Venus would be the only one too big to fit and would need a map about as big as the Earth. And to make hings simple just say Earth and Venus are the same at a 12,000 km diameter.

Attachments

• planets.jpg
    planets.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 729
I would be generally against adding extra maps when we have other ways of handling a mechanic, becuase although another map does not affect the graphics memory, it DOES increase the amount of normal memory used, and that is not generally a good thing.

If this would mean more MAF errors and similar i would be against this ... sounds cool but not worth it if thats the case

If this would mean more MAF errors and similar i would be against this ... sounds cool but not worth it if thats the case

I'm not against the multiple maps at all, its the only way to do the Galactic Era, and a great advance in modding cIV. I am against frivolous uses of it, such as City view maps, which have little if any gameplay value.

The Underground map does sound good though.

Top Bottom