[C3C] Mutual Protection Pacts - Turned Around

vorlon_mi

Emperor
I was playing last night as the English, getting ready for a resumption of hostilities against my largest neighbor to the south, the Aztecs. Large continents map; I already wiped out the Zulu and Arabs on this land mass. America and Greece dominate the other land mass. They've taken cities from each other and the smaller powers over there, but no one has been eliminated.

Two turns before my peace treaty with the Aztecs expires, I get a diplomacy notice: "The Aztecs and the Dutch have signed a mutual protection pact." (I may have some parts of the text wrong). Whoa. The Dutch have been my "pet" for 800-900 years. RoP, trade agreements, even serving as a bit of a buffer with Monty. I enlisted them as an ally in a much, much earlier war with the Aztecs. Does this mean I need to change my plans? Prepare for a two-front war?

Then I remembered a key aspect of MPPs and how they are triggered. I contacted Netherlands and they agreed to an MPP with me. My troops were massed on my border with the Aztecs, ready to assault their cities 3 tiles away. I wait two turns.

Peace treaty expires, so I declare on Monty. None of my troops move, no planes in the air, no one crosses the border. About 3 Aztec cavalry sneak around my stack and capture some slave workers I had left building a railroad. I thought that I had covered them, but I missed it. They attack one of my smaller stacks and the trap has been sprung. "Netherlands declares war on the Aztecs."

The MPP will be triggered when the treaty partner is attacked, not just when war is declared. Willem broke his MPP with Monty to honor his MPP with me.

Needless to say, my counterattack was much stronger. I even recaptured the slaves that Monty had taken on his raid.

Amen to that!

Breaking an ally AI-Civ's MPPs just prior to starting the offensive phase of a war that I need to start, is one of the only circumstances under which I'll sign an MPP myself.
Spoiler The others being: :
-- If aiming for a Diplomatic victory, just before the UN-vote is due, sign MPPs with most/all of the weaker Civs to get them to Polite/Gracious, improving the probability that they will then vote for me
-- If I'm already fighting someone, the price of an MPP with a third party (to drag them into my war) may be cheaper than for an Alliance. Though obviously in that situation, I'd need to first check my prospective MPP-partner's Diplomatic relations among all the other Civs, to ensure that I won't endanger any ongoing/essential trade-deals

If aiming for a Diplomatic victory, just before the UN-vote is due....
How does one know when the UN vote is due? I've had an equal number of Diplomatic victories & defeats, but never did figure out how to know when a vote would come up.

How does one know when the UN vote is due? I've had an equal number of Diplomatic victories & defeats, but never did figure out how to know when a vote would come up.

IIRC, it happens every N turns after the UN is built. Either 5 or 7, I can't remember. As a defensive measure, when I'm going for space, I will build the UN and not hold any votes.

As a defensive measure, when I'm going for space, I will build the UN and not hold any votes.
I do the same thing, having gotten killed by a diplomatic defeat inadvertently. I always make a beeline for Fission so I can build it ASAP.

Top Bottom