Mvemba a Nzinga (Afonso I of Kongo)

Henri Christophe

L'empereur
I guess this game is very important to me, it is the most influencial strategy game on the world.
I need to agree was very great to have a Black character as Shaka Zulu since the FIRST Civliziantion.
And also Montezuma, very cool!
But, is good to remember. Aztec-Mexica and Zulu was terribles War Lords:undecide:

So, it was also a VERY GOOD IDEA to Start Civ 6 with the Mvemba!
But, I would call him as Afonso I first of Kongo.
I guess, when Afonso dies, he want to be remember as Afonso I of Kongo.
And also, I can't understand how was the choice of Clothes of Mvemba?

Civilization's Afonso look like a guy from a Lousiana's Swamp...

If we look ALL Congo Kings, they are all well dressed....
Spoiler :

Whitch source was used to Mvemba Clothes? Why African's always need to look like Slums and War Lords?

After it, come the Meritocracy Consensus of the Community - Who kills more, I guess?
Then the Next African Civs was Nubia, Mali and Ethiopia. Empires for short.:undecide:

And the only one who wasn't Empire, Kongo was just Kingdom. They are fine, they don't want war....
Kongo is also the only who is portraied as a Black-Barbarian. Some weird guy from a Lousiana's Swamp:sad:
Why that? It is so sad...

If we don't have source and we want to respect the others, why don't take the best you find?
Why need to always fullfil this Empire-Agenda?

The suggestions I made her, for example> https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ant-to-see-in-the-season-pack-s.657875/page-2

I choice the Best picture of Zumbi possible.
There is no picture about Zumbi made for someone who know who is Zumbi.
All Zumbi pictures don't have a good source to relly about.
So, I choice something painted by Albert Eckhout

Ps.
With the new expansion with new Personas/Costumes to old leaders (Secret societies), I would like to ask to change Mvemba clothes for something who give PROUD to Black people when choice play with Kongo.

Last edited:
You mean not wear traditional african clothing? Traditional African clothing is shameful and babaric right?
please, read again and saw the pictures in the Spoiler.
There is no picture of Mvemba who look likes Civilization's Mvemba.

I don't think he looks that different from the second picture which also depicts a king of Kongo.

And why do you want to call him by his Portuguese name?

I don't think he looks that different from the second picture which also depicts a king of Kongo.

Because Afonso I was the name he want to be remember when he dies, did you know, all leaders have opinion about they self and Afonso was the first Catholic king of Africa and he was very proud of it.
If you want a less warlike or non-expansive civ Nri would be nice
who is Nri?

who is Nri?

Theocratic state in west africa created by the Igbo people.

They were led by an elected high priest known as an Eze Nri

They expended not by conquest but by converting others to their faith and binding them by oath, these oathbound tribes held military power and would defend the Eze Nri who had no ability to command any military rather his sole domain was religion, trade and diplomacy. They also abolished slavery and liberated any slave who entered their territory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri

Because Afonso I was the name he want to be remember when he dies, did you know, all leaders have opinion about they self and Afonso was the first Catholic king of Africa and he was very proud of it.
I thought he was ashamed of being catholic at the end of his life due to what portugal did to his people and renounced his faith.

I thought he was ashamed of being catholic at the end of his life due to what portugal did to his people and renounced his faith.
I didn't get the impression he was ashamed of being Catholic, but he definitely had disagreements with the Portuguese over slavery. I don't see any sources as to him renouncing his Catholic faith near the end of his life....where did you get that from?

I didn't get the impression he was ashamed of being Catholic, but he definitely had disagreements with the Portuguese over slavery. I don't see any sources as to him renouncing his Catholic faith near the end of his life....where did you get that from?

Here in Brazil we have a popular party called CONGADA where tell the history of Afonso I and one of his son who doesn't want Cristianism.
In Brazil it is telling as he is muslim, but historians say it was the traditional faith of Angola he wants.

Afonso it self was a devoted christian for all his life.

I like to remember, he was proud of his name and his kingdoms symbols.

It isn't a Portuguese name, it is a Catholic name and a lot of other Catholic kingdoms of Iberic Peninsula had kings called Afonso I.

Theocratic state in west africa created by the Igbo people.

They were led by an elected high priest known as an Eze Nri

They expended not by conquest but by converting others to their faith and binding them by oath, these oathbound tribes held military power and would defend the Eze Nri who had no ability to command any military rather his sole domain was religion, trade and diplomacy. They also abolished slavery and liberated any slave who entered their territory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri

That I also don't know, I would like a root african Civ there I don't know nothing about.:egypt:

It isn't a Portuguese name, it is a Catholic name and a lot of other Catholic kingdoms of Iberic Peninsula had kings called Afonso I.
Considering it was the Catholic Portuguese that came to convert the Kingdom of Kongo, the only name he would have had to change to would be in Portuguese language though.

Considering it was the Catholic Portuguese that came to convert the Kingdom of Kongo, the only name he would have had to change to would be in Portuguese language though.
Yes, you are not wrong. But Afonso was also a name of many other Kings.
I remember Aragon had also a Afonso king, this video show well the history of the Catholic kingdoms of Spain.

Other good example is about the other kingdom, the kingdom of Ndongo of the Queen Nzinga (Ginga in brazilian-portuguese).
The conversion to Catholicism in her kingdom was made by Itallian capuchinos, not POrtuguese Jesuitic priests as Brazil.

Chritianism have a cool history too, it isn't just colonialism and European invasions. Natives made also their own history.

I will share a better background Afonso I of Kongo deserve.

The oldest catholic church in Africa, way better than the weird Swamp Civilization choice to the background of Mvemba a Nzinga, Afonso I of Kongo.

I was searching about this thread issue and I guess I found the answer.
Fireaxis inspired they self to do Mvemba a Nzinga in Cuba civilization, from nowadays Republic of Kongo. They are not correlated with the historical kingdom of Kongo.
If this community like to be historical, why anyone make a case of this before?

Top Bottom