1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My 2 cents to counter the storm of critics

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by lifeaquatic, Nov 10, 2005.

1. lifeaquatic

lifeaquatic Conquistadore

Initially my system wasn't handling the game, but after putting in the omega driver in place of the standard on for my nvidia geforce4 420, it worked like a charm. Then gameplay began. I have read a lot of smack talk saying all the things bad about the game none of which did I find to be of any truth or weight.

Gameplay is great, interactivity is so cool. Its challenging and realistic, its fun, its fun and its a blast. Only reason I'm here right now is because I'm at work and can't be home still playing the game.

So to the critics of civ 4 i say the same I said to critics of 3, you don't get it, you can't get it, just give up and go play max payne or some other 1st person shooter. The mother of all strategy games is clearly not your style.

2. arioch99

arioch99 Chieftain

I'm agree with you

This game is by far the best Civilization of the series. Yes civilization II was better than III, but the 3 was still a very good game.

And for those that don't like the game, is your right, but don't complaint and go play another game that you like most. Me play a littlle bit to 1st person shooter and I don't like it too much, but I don't go on fps board to complaint about it.

3. Ravinhood

Ravinhood Warlord

If you look closely at the "options" CIV IV can be played like any previous Civ before it I think. From the warmongering CIV I, right on into CIV III and then CIV IV with it's new addition of religion and how it plays into another strategy of the game.

Every game I've played "Huge Epic Pangea" 14+ civs has been a blast and an experience and I'm trying out all the options to tweak the game to one that I enjoy playing most. Modifying the first 4000 years into 400 turns has been the most fun. Lots of wars, lots of backstabbing and the units and buildings aren't obsolete as soon as you build them. Cathrine and ImaHOtep and even Ghandi have been a thorn in my side many games.

That was the only issue I had with vanilla version of CIV IV, it played too fast out of the box on all the speeds. Adjusting the turns and research values brought it back to the CIV's I've always enjoyed. 30+ hours of fantastic fun and challenge. ;)

CIV IV is the best one ever and certainly GOTY and SGOTY material. ;)

4. narmox

narmox Emperor

Ravinhood: 400 turns for the first 4000 years? Sounds interesting.. Did you post that mod on this site? Is the research and build time adjusted accordingly so you don't get in the modern age in that time?

I'm interested in trying out that mod :)

5. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

OK, my system is a Celeron 2.4GHz computer with a Radeon 9550 video card (256MB) and 768MB RAM, and the only real problem I am having with the game is what I call 'graphics artifact'-namely pixellation running across the screen at random intervals, and a once in a blue moon crash. However, compared to Doom 3, which I cannot even PLAY because it automatically stalls, I think this is perfectly fine. Plus, given all the troubles I am having with other programs, I strongly suspect that the problem lies with the video card, NOT the game!!!

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

6. Mujadaddy

Mujadaddy Geheim Grammar Polizei

Aussie_Lurker---I'm sure there are still some lingering issues that you & your display drivers causing those artifacts... I *never ever ever* get glitches like that, and your system is better than mine in every way (specs in sig) ...

OP---glad you like it! (Bump the thread in my sig :p)

7. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Oh, I do love it and, though I would love to see the artifacts removed, it does NOTHING to reduce my overall enjoyment of the game. Actually got involved in my first war last night, and got caned :(! Worse still, Washington won't let me make peace with him now-keeps telling me to 'take my punishment like a man' :mischief: :D.

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

8. Sorceresss

Sorceresss Witch

It is not a mod that you have to load. It is a very simple, do-it-yourself wordpad edit of an XML text-file. You can easily adjust the pace of research and building. I like that a lot because I prefer to play before the Middle Ages (about -4000 to +400). By trial and error, you adjust so that you do not have tanks in +400.

9. Mujadaddy

:lol: It's cuz he knows you use his leaderhead as your Avatar :eek: :lol:

10. narmox

narmox Emperor

Well if someone else has already done it, I don't need to do trial and error

Hence it's a mod if he provides the files or tells me what to edit where :)

11. Mujadaddy

Narmox--try the mods & customs forum

12. xguild

xguild Chieftain

What you are experiancing is what I would call "The honeymoon". Soon after the honeymoon is over you are going to start to see some of the bulls*** this game has to offer. Wait until you try the online game.... oh wait, nevermind the servers are down.... again...... what a shocker.

13. Ravinhood

Ravinhood Warlord

Even though it's a modification to the files, it's not really a MOD as much as it's a "scenario". Reason being for it to work properly you must play on a Huge Epic Pangea Map with 14 Civs at least and the map size 100x60 or 80x60. If you played with less civs or tried to play it on another speed setting it wouldn't work and the timeline wouldn't follow either.

Balancing one of these for a proper time line with so many more turns (400) really changes a lot of things in the middle and end game, so, yeah it takes A LOT of trial an error to come even close to experiencing something halfway reasonable. Research values have to be doubled and tripled, and heroic people have to be adjusted for their appearance as well, else a few of them on the map can throw you into the future faster than you can say squat on a turnip.

The other thing is that future buildings and production centers increase the speed at which research can be done and techs gained as well. There's a lot of chit to modify if one wants a fairly reasonable game as far as the timeline goes.

NOW, if one is willing to just toss the timeline out the window, then yeah it's easy to modify the turns and just have as many turns in a game as you want and just letting what happens happen when it happens by the vanilla settings, but, modern tanks in 1300bc is sorta a game killer for some. ;)

I've been playing on Prince and Monarchy and tweaking (starting over) to get gunpowder to hit around 700ad and last 189 turns, that's near half of the ancient age of 335 turns now (I had to lower the turns by 65 to hit a date I wanted). Then when riflemen hits they will last 100 turns and then basically from WWI to end game will be the last 150-200 turns of the game.

So I just can't hand you these files and say it will play like YOU want it to. It plays so far like I want it to. You may be better at teching than I am and fly through the techs, thus it won't have the same outcome for you as it does for me.

Basically it boils down to modifying the files yourself and by "trial and error" finding the game that works for you by your own settings. Also, all too often I see people downing other peoples mods, whinning, complaining, etc. etc. just like they do Fraxis or Sid and well those kinds of people just don't deserve anything I don't think ;)

14. Steve2000

Steve2000 Mighty Pirate

All I know is that I just played a game in from 4000BC to 1982AD in which I fought zero wars and won a cultural victory.

Lets let that sink in for a moment...

Zero wars.

That is what I call balanced victory conditions. This was simply not possible in Civ 3. I love warmongering as much as the next guy, but if I am going for a different victory condition it is nice to know that it is possible to diplomatically talk your way out of a war. They finally got it right. In all previous iterations of Civ the non-war victories were sort of booby prizes that you had to basically still fight everyone in wars to win. The cultural victories in Civ 3 were often a joke: You won cultural victory when you dominated the AIs to just below the Domination limit and waited for your territory to expand with a bunch of size 6 cities with only temples and libraries.

15. dyinhere

dyinhere Chieftain

Many criticisms of the game in its current state seem totally valid to me, and will undoubtedly lead to further refinement and fixes by the developers and will contribute to the mod scene.

I think it's hypocritical of you to lash out at the critics with a blanket insult of your own ("you don't get it, you can't get it, just give up"). There's a lot of fruitful discussion going on that can help make the game better. Just because you don't find fault doesn't negate other people's experiences or opinions.

16. smurfish

smurfish Chieftain

OT..
    within 1 week, i did 3 things that i'm have been thinking of doing but too lazy to do :)
    1) dedicate a partition juz for my pagefile
    2) got a new casing for betta air flow
    3) modded my nvidia with better cooling

all thanks to Civ4 :)

back to topic, i think the artifacts are due to heating issues with either the GPU or the mem chips on ur radeon. I had those alot of times when I'm still stuck with a cheap case while playing nfsu2. Air flow isn't smooth, that is.. Civ4 too.. but now I'm a happy Civ fanatics again coz the partitioning and the cooling stuffs make jerky movie/sound and artifacting gone 4eva... I have yet reproduce them since.. :crazyeye:

btw, terra huge is fun, i play 15 civs and i like messy diplomacy :)