1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My Big Hope!!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Randall_Flagg, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

Very Long time since my last thread!

After being very upset with Vanilla 5, I dropped it for months and just started playing again, patches do help!! :)

However, My one great hope, and my 1st game will be Builders paradise, I want to see if they really fixed the AI. No wars declared on me is the goal, since Ii have not had one civ 5 game ever without a war, I am very hopeful they fixed the War Crazy AI.

Also, real glad they added religion back, after loving that part in IV, was really sad to see it not make Van Release.

Anyone else have any hopes for the expansion?

2. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

I hope Ethiopia is turtley enough for my turtle club. And hopefully good enough even to knock sense into the bullies, too.

3. zonik77

zonik77 Chieftain

My hope is, as you, a fixed AI. However, a deeply diplomacy is my great wish...

4. HazzMadd

HazzMadd Chieftain

Dynamics environments, like forest growth, climate change, nuclear winter, icecaps melting, basically I want a world where al gore won an ark full of Nobel prizes and sailed away across what used to be new England.

Lol, silly al gore, there's no such thing as man bear pig...

5. themascarasnake

themascarasnake Chieftain

Yeah, that's so stupid when the AI declares war on you. It's as if they're actually trying to compete with you to win the game. derp
    Civ IV's diplomacy AI was way too manipulable, you could just force it to let you win. V's diplomatic AI is superior in this regard, even though I do think a few aspects of it were superior to V's current diplomacy AI, like the fact that they would actually wait until they actually have the power to fight you before declaring war on you.

6. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Oh dear, yet another person thinks that Civilization is a sandbox simulator instead of essentially a wargame.

7. Ikael

Ikael King

Civilization Revolutions was a better wargame than Civ V, me thinks. Civ V, is not bad because it aims to be more of a board game than a simulator, but rather because it has some really glaring structural flaws that I hope are solved in this new expansion. Best luck to the Firaxis team, and my congratulations if they actually manage to pull it off.

8. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

ummm excuse me,but what did you do when you played earlier versions of Civilization like CIV2 where you'd be dumped on Australia and form your own empire in isolation?

I mean many a game happens when you force out your rivals on your home continent and then whats left?

War?...war with who the barbs?

I'm sorry,but Civ is so popular due to the fact you can both turtle up and rapidly dominate your neighbors...

In fact if it were not for Sim City2000 I probably wouldn't have gotten into Civ2...

9. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

I still think a person should be able to move the capital (palace), just in case you get a really crappy start like in the previous civ games. I rarely did it, but it would be a nice little tweak IMO.

10. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf King

Not very realistic though, is it? I mean, I can't think of a single civilization throughout history that didn't go to war for one reason or another, at the very least a defensive war (though usually there was more to it than that).

11. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

It is essentially a wargame (for many reasons) but that does not always mean a domination/conquest game. Don't confuse the two concepts. All Civ games are laid out like a traditional board wargame, esp. Civ5 which is exactly like one (and enhanced by wargame-like 1upt) instead of those funky tiles we saw earlier but still the same concept. Yes, I agree, it is more like a boardgame, which brings to mind all of those Avalon Hill games and to some extent, Risk. You can choose to play a wargame peacefully or turtling (I run about 60/40 for conquest/peaceful games, depending on the mood), but it is still a wargame (both the AI and MP opponents attest to this) at heart.

12. King Kalmah

King Kalmah Magyar Madness

Don't get me wrong I know exactly the point you are making,but in the early game its not always fun to have to go to war,but my point was what do you do if you are in Isolation 3/4ths of the game?

I mean its not like you can declare war on another nation if there is no one on your continent...

I'm just saying it is as much a war game as it is a sim...

13. Randall_Flagg

My games are always what I make of them not you or what you think they are. :)

Here is a bone, I never asked you play my game for me, you play your game, I will play mine. And guess what, we will both be ok. Now, next time, post your hopes, or shut your lips. I could care less about what you think Civ is.

14. PAVLOS_GR300

PAVLOS_GR300 Greek

the new expansion should fix this as naval invasions are easier for the ai

15. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Whether you like it or not, if there are AIs around, they are playing to win, and if you look weak, they will attack. That is good AI. If the AI just let you sit around building every wonder and wanking with no army it would be stupid AI.

Some players are often fond of saying, I don't build wonders, I take them from the AIs. Shouldn't the AI do unto others if they are strong and you are weak?

You can have a builder's paradise if you want to but that means maintaining an intimidating and up-to-date military to discourage would be attackers. Paradise needs some bodyguards.

16. Randall_Flagg

No offense to you, but I have been playing Civ since civ 1, I do not need you or anyone else to tell me what civ is or how to play, you will notice, at no time did I ask you how to do this. The reason is simple, I do not need your advice!! And no, you cannot have a builders paradise in CiV 5 Vanilla, or I would not be hoping for it. :)

The simple fact is this, I was able to to play civ 2- civ 4 with out ever going to war. My hope, is not your hope, so what? You certianly have no idea how I play, so you have no idea about what I do. I will simply say, the AI in CIV 5 was off, MY HOPE, key word bud is MY, is that I can play a peaceful game if I feel like it.

And with that I am done, I remember when this forum was filled with good people, it has had an influx of ass hats.

17. themascarasnake

themascarasnake Chieftain

No need to get so mad, he was only explaining how the game works to you.

18. Randall_Flagg

That would be great if I asked him how it works. However, if I was asking a game play question, I not only would have asked, I would have asked in the right forum.

You see, this was about Hopes for the expansion, not about someone telling me how to play, not about someone telling me what Civ is. You understand? There is place for advice, and it is not in this thread!!

Now please no more post people, I have requested a lock. I have learned my lesson on these forums, they are getting as bad Blizzard. Back to read only.

19. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Apparently, that's exactly how some played Civ2-Civ4, since the AI was so stupid in those games. That's one of the great features of Civ5 in that your opponents will try not leave you alone to play a game by yourself.

20. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I wouldn't so much have a problem with the AI in CIV V playing to win, if it meant that they actually had some sort of tactical sense. When they attack, using obsolete and inefficient units and strategies, seemingly just throwing random units at you with no second wave in sight, then "playing to win" becomes "playing to lose."

While the tactical AI in CIV IV was nothing to write home about, the AI was ABLE TO USE THE MECHANICS effectively. People may hate stacking, but it allowed the AI to overcome many of it's current deficiencies. The AI was actually a threat in CIV IV, whether or not it was playing to win or not, (it generally wasn't), while in CIV V, the AI would be MUCH better off if it focused as little on warfare as possible and instead actually focused on expansion - especially considering that population = science = victory.

Not trying to bash CIV V or extol CIV IV, just saying that "playing to win" is pretty much the worst possible strategy the AI can employ in CIV V if it actually wants to win.